cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SPD Write Protection = FALSE] and my Z690 Extreme hangs on boot.

sblantipodi
Level 9
Hi all.

I'm using a Z690 Extreme mobo with 4 sticks of 6200MHz SK Hinyx downclocked at 5.2GHz for stability reasons.
Using corsair iCue to drive the RGB on my RAM sticks.

I can stress test my PC with every possible software for days and there is no errors and no crash but if disable the SPD Write Protection in BIOS to let iCue control my RGB LEDs on the RAM sticks I have a problem.

With SPD Write Protection disabled, from time to time, RGB on my RAM sticks stops working, when they stops working the PC continue to work ok,
but if I reboot when the RGB are freezed, the PC hangs on boot in the initial stage of the POST process.

The OLED shows the "Detecting memory" msg and the two digit displays shows 00.

Is there someone working on this issue in Asus?
51 REPLIES 51

updated to 1505 and the problem remains.

Is there any news on this issue?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi sblantipodi,
Could you please help to check if it also occur on bios 1403 with the same bios settings?
It is possible to downgrade to bios 1304 with bios flashback if you want.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi sblantipodi,
Could you please help to check if it also occur on bios 1403 with the same bios settings?
It is possible to downgrade to bios 1304 with bios flashback if you want.
Thank you.

it took a while to answer because I needed to test the new BIOS.
upgraded to 1403, installed the new Intel microcode, same problem 😞

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi sblantipodi,
May I double confirm when RGB on my RAM sticks stops working, it means no RGB light or stuck at the specific color?
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of the motherboard via PM
- the brand and the model name of your CPU, graphics card, OS SSD, and PSU
- photos the RAM information like this
- the iCue version, a screenshot of the settings in iCue
- a video about the issue(the RGB are freezed, the PC hangs on boot in the initial stage of the POST process. The OLED shows the "Detecting memory" msg and the two digit displays shows 00)
- OS version and OS build such as win11 21H2 22000.469
Thank you so much.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi sblantipodi,
May I double confirm when RGB on my RAM sticks stops working, it means no RGB light or stuck at the specific color?
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of the motherboard via PM
- the brand and the model name of your CPU, graphics card, OS SSD, and PSU
- photos the RAM information like this
- the iCue version, a screenshot of the settings in iCue
- a video about the issue(the RGB are freezed, the PC hangs on boot in the initial stage of the POST process. The OLED shows the "Detecting memory" msg and the two digit displays shows 00)
- OS version and OS build such as win11 21H2 22000.469
Thank you so much.

Guys, it's clear that Asus doesn't have a solution to this problem, I spent months behind Shamino on overclock.net trying BETA bioses and nothing is fixed.
I spent thousands of dollars buying different RAM kits with Micron, Samsung and now Hynix.
I spent money buying an Asus Hero board (that doesn't have this problem).

After months I can't use my PC reliably for my job.

I want my money back, how can I ask for a refund? It's clear that some of your boards have design flaws and I spent a lot of time and money behind it, now I want a refund.

How can I ask for a refund?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi sblantipodi,
Because the motherboard is one of pc components, the pc combination would be a the key for the issue.
I'm afraid we need the specific information for further checking. Could you please help to share the information to me?
However, if you want to ask for a refund, please consult the retailer about it.
Thank you.

I swapped all the components to my Z690 Hero and the problem does not happen,
Extreme boards have design flaws with RAM, admit it, recall it, refund us!

my retailer don't want to refund me since 5 months passed but I still have a flawed product,
as I said, if I putt all the components on the hero it works without problems.

how can I ask for the refund?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi sblantipodi,
Could you please share me the requested information? Our tech team will refer to your information and scenario for further checking.
If you don't want to provide the information on the forums, please contact our local support for help.
Thank you.