cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RTX 3080 ROG STRIX OC fans spinning even at idle

pjeruk
Level 7
Hi i just got my 3080 oc strix card and I don't know what to do because fans on auto wont slowing down at all. Even if card is cold like 32c fans are still going on 53% any ideas what to do? When I'm trying manualy change fans under 35% fans are starting spining and stopping over and over. I was trying quiet mode and performance but nothing change.
52 REPLIES 52

pk1209 wrote:
will run GPU-Z for a while and see what graphs out... maybe I was just unlucky in that ever time I happened to check it was after a power spike!

Tbh. this release of 30 cards is not smooth. Not to bash other AIB's but everyone seems to have some sort of issue with their cards, so Asus it's not alone.

After long loyal time to EVGA I have totally lost faith in their product. I had 3 dead FTW3 3090s, one after another and there is ton and I mean ton of users dealing with similar issues.

My nephew had 2x FTW3 3090 died on him within 2 weeks, it's not good I hope Strix is a bit better, but even thou my 3090 Strix is good, the shroud rattling is awful, so I might move to something else or just stick with my Titan RTX

Good luck finding what's holding your fans from operating properly.

pk1209 wrote:
will run GPU-Z for a while and see what graphs out... maybe I was just unlucky in that ever time I happened to check it was after a power spike!

Edit - tbh, I think the issue is the 50w power draw threshold, my card seems to want to idle just over that!

The new 460.89 drivers that were just released today seem to help a quite a bit to come down the power draw spikes. The way things are working now, its getting fairly close to Asus 0db mode FAQ's.

Megascrypt wrote:
The new 460.89 drivers that were just released today seem to help a quite a bit to come down the power draw spikes. The way things are working now, its getting fairly close to Asus 0db mode FAQ's.

Do you use GPU Tweak II?
After install the new bios, using GPU Tweak II seems to be no different than before.
Left and right fan still 0 rpm while mid fan always 1000rpm

Minh Le wrote:
Do you use GPU Tweak II?
After install the new bios, using GPU Tweak II seems to be no different than before.
Left and right fan still 0 rpm while mid fan always 1000rpm

No I don't use Tweak II I just have my Bios on the card switch to Q-mode. This latest driver 460.89 made some significant difference in how the 0db mode operates, now It works as it should 🙂

Have you try re-flashing cards Bios, If you can reinstall windows from scratch, don't install Tweak II and see how you cards fans running then, that is the best way to narrow down the issue and go from there.

pk1209
Level 8
yeah, looks ok with latest drivers and BIOS at idle now.. sat at 0rpm for 30 mins with just GPU-Z open on screen

Doesn't take much to go over 50w though, so as soon as Chrome open, for example, I go over 50w and fans start spinning even though GPU barely being used

pk1209 wrote:
yeah, looks ok with latest drivers and BIOS at idle now.. sat at 0rpm for 30 mins with just GPU-Z open on screen

Doesn't take much to go over 50w though, so as soon as Chrome open, for example, I go over 50w and fans start spinning even though GPU barely being used

Yes this was happening to me as well before the latest Bios and driver, slight bump in power spike and fans would spin, but this driver really works well, at least in my case. I would honestly consider reinstalling windows and try running without Tweak II to see if it make any difference. Have monitoring software and task manager open in small window while using your PC and see what's happening then.

BTW. It seem that Asus did bump the wattage threshold before triggering fans, but in some rare instances it’s still slightly to low, at the same time you don't want your power draw to sit high without cooling.

Tbh. right now my 0db mode works perfect, big difference from what it was before the V2 and drivers update.

IDv8I
Level 7
I have a dual monitor setup with both at 2560 x 1440, when I lower the secondary monitor down to 60htz the fans work as intended and will stop. The main monitor is still running ay 144htz so doesn't affect my gaming but still seems like a waist.

Hey guys,

Im still having this problem on my 3080 STRIX OC:

The fans stay mostly in idle without spinning: but eventually for like 10-12 seconds it suddenly starts spinning up and then quickly going down again. This is in Idle, or only browsing the internet doing small operations

Its not a huge issue, but annoying.

Anyone found a fix to this?

I have fully updated the cards Bios.

Would i need to fully reinstall windows or can i just reinstall all the drivers maybe?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan87
Level 8
Hi guys,

I can read that many people can see their left-right fan staying at 0rpm but 53% usage and only the mid fan is "controllable".

I still have the same issue, got the latest bios and latest nvidia drivers. Yesterday I format my pc and everything was working fine again: I could even see the rpm on left-right fan on GPU-Z. However, today we are back to "normal" and I can't see the left-right fan rpm on GPU-Z and they spin like crazy whenever I launch a game.

Has anyone found what makes both fans impossible to control? There must be a software or driver that is causing issues. I have literally installed softwares 1 by 1 to test what was causing the issue but I cant seem to understand it. Another thing I noticed is that yesterday, when fans were working "fine", they weren't spinning like crazy at boot and today they do (which is the behaviour I had when they weren't working well). Help pls!

Dan87 wrote:
Hi guys,

I can read that many people can see their left-right fan staying at 0rpm but 53% usage and only the mid fan is "controllable".

I still have the same issue, got the latest bios and latest nvidia drivers. Yesterday I format my pc and everything was working fine again: I could even see the rpm on left-right fan on GPU-Z. However, today we are back to "normal" and I can't see the left-right fan rpm on GPU-Z and they spin like crazy whenever I launch a game.

Has anyone found what makes both fans impossible to control? There must be a software or driver that is causing issues. I have literally installed softwares 1 by 1 to test what was causing the issue but I cant seem to understand it. Another thing I noticed is that yesterday, when fans were working "fine", they weren't spinning like crazy at boot and today they do (which is the behaviour I had when they weren't working well). Help pls!

I reply to my own message as I fixed the issue... Maybe it can be helpful for someone else.

It took me some courage but at the end I deshrouded my Strix OC 3080. On the attachment you can see what I found: the fan connect being not being pushed properly... Thank God I did not send it to RMA as Asus suggested.

If you are experiencing something similar - AND IF YOU FEEL CONFIDENT IN OPENING YOUR GPU - this might be a fix.