cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG x570 Crosshair Inconsistent crashing/freezing unable to troubleshoot. Need advice

BbyDckDddy
Level 7
I am absolutely at a loss here.

Short Version:
Computer keeps freezing, but afterburner, performance monitor, and essentially any software used for troubleshooting freezes before the issue can be identified.

Longer version:

PC specs:
Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow
Fans: 10x Lian Li AL120 Uni
MOBO: ROG x570 Crosshair VIII Hero
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
GPU: Radeon PowerColor RedDevil 6900XT
RAM: 64 GB (4x16) T-Force 3600
Cooler: Asus ROG Ryujin 360
PSU: Asus ROG Thor 1200w
TEMPS: In general, everything stays below 40*, GPU tops out at around 55* under stress tests.
I don't think it matters, but I have 1Gigabit internet (ethernet), on a Nighthawk AC1900 router, and surfboard SB8200 Modem. House is ran with Cat8.

Symptoms:

*Crashes during regular use (Youtube, facebook, spotify) and gaming(no specific game, anything will cause it to freeze), nothing points towards anything being the sole cause.
*I get something similar to screen tearing when it is about to freeze. It will just be white pixelated lines going across the screen, randomly flashing.
*Task manager won't come up during freeze.
*Letting it sit and waiting for upwards of 30-45 minutes doesn't relieve the issue.
*Power switch will not turn off or reset PC during freeze.
*Only way to reset during freeze is to flip PSU switch.
*No temperature spikes on any components that I can tell. But again, it's frozen so I really can't check.
*Airflow is optimal, thermals in general don't seem to be an issue and fans/AIO pump continue to run during freeze.
*Only once has it completely crashed, lost power and went to a black screen with "No input detected". Every other time has been a freeze.
*Prior to the issues at hand, I noticed one stick of RAM had been kind of off color, no longer the case.

Attempts at fixing and/or diagnosing in no particular order(But everything was attempted again post clean windows installs):

Clean install windows 10
Clean install windows 11
Ran DDU and did clean install of new Graphics drivers(Also tried rolling back drivers prior to this).
Removed one channel of RAM at a time trying to eliminate one set/stick. Shuffled them around and attempted again. Was unable to diagnose.
Put GPU and CPU under various stress tests via programs such as 3D mark.
Ran MemTest64 for 30ish minutes - no errors.
BIOS and Task manager both recognize every component, and running at appropriate frequencies, voltages, etc.
Completely took apart PC, thoroughly cleaned and replaced all thermal compound/pads.
Replaced MOBO. Old MOBO is ASUS Prime X570 Pro, new is ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII - Issue persists.
New sticks of RAM on the way, should be here tomorrow - Direct replacements.

I am at my wits end with this thing. Admittedly, I am not a professional when it comes to diagnosing computers. I feel pretty comfortable digging around in BIOS and what not. But I simply cannot figure out the issue I'm having. I am open to all suggestions here. I've been trying to figure this out for a few days now, and have already thrown a motherboard at it. Now I have new RAM coming. Before I throw any other parts at it, does anyone have any suggestions? Any software I can run to help diagnose if any particular component is an issue? If you need more info, please let me know and I will get it to you.
10 REPLIES 10

Lizziezilla wrote:

This tells me the bios is a buggy mess, something in the bios is not fully supporting the 5900x's and of course ASUS will not admit it or try to fix it like other issues I have called out in the past on their products ( looks at the ROG strix G15 advantage edition )

Hmmm, I would have not reached this conclusion from the evidence provided by you.