cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix z690A Gaming WiFi WHEa 17 Errors

Grendel602
Level 7
Swapped my fully functioning 3090RTX, 9900K, Z390 Gigabyte Designare setup for a brand new Z690 and 12900K rig.

After swapping all components over to the Gaming Wifi MOBO and 12900k combo, install WIN 11 and I get thousands of WHEA errors for ven_8086&dev_ 460d&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_02

I also get random hangup, BSODS, and straight crashes.

I'm a day of frustration away from RMA. I swapped back to old system and all works perfectly with 9900k and Z390 mobo, so the only possible hardware issue is the mobo or CPU....I guessing this is a mobo hardware component issue.

PCI ID Repository suggests it is a 12th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller #1.

Device manager showed no issues with any hardware.
333 REPLIES 333

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi eMDA400 ,
Thank you.

Do you get WHEA 17 error or have other issue like BSOD when use the pc? Yes. I am using Windows 11 build 22000.918

Do you get WHEA 17 error right after boot into windows or when run the specific apps? It seems to vary, but PEG10 seems to produce WHEA 17 occasionally when running a graphics app and root port 7AC8 (m.2-3) seems to produce possibly when any application communicates with the storage drive. Many more entries of WHEA 17 for the M.2 slot than the PCI-E gen5 slot.

Do you use GPU riser cable? Which M.2 slot do you install SSD? No GPU riser cable in use
the devices giving WHEA 17 that i noticed so far are the PEG10 system device (RTX 3080 Ti in PCI-E slot 1 on the Prime z690-a (gen 5 x16 slot running at 4.0 x16)
and the M.2-3 port on the lower part of the Prime Z690-A that communicates with the CPU through DMI (has a WD SN850 SSD installed in it)

Do you also get the issue when bios 1720 with bios all default settings(no OC)? If you disable PCIE Native Power Management only, do you still get WHEA 17 error?
When all defaults in BIOS 1720 i get eventual BSOD and WHEA 17 errors (with all Platform Misc Configuration settings enabled).
When PCIE PEG ASPM disabled, still get WHEA 17 errors and eventual BSOD but only for root port 7AC8 (M.2-3 slot).
WHEA 17 errors reduced once i change from Intel-named driver to Windows generic for PCIE system device in device driver menu (which i show example below in screenshot steps). But just got a random BSOD when coincidentally looking at event viewer and noticed about 146 WHEA 17 errors for M.2-3 slot spanning around 20 minutes).

May I know how you changed the PCI Express root port driver from the intel-named one to the generic "PCI Express Root Port" driver that comes with Windows? May I have screenshots or a video about it?

For reference: Intel PEG10 - 460D driver causing WHEA 17 was version 10.1.45.4 (oem26.inf) and Intel PCI Express Root Port #25 - 7AC8 was version 10.1.37.5 (oem12.inf).

1. Right-click on item in device manager, choosing "update driver"

2. Select "Browse my computer for drivers"

3. Select "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"

4. Select generic "PCI Express Root Port" driver in the list and choose "next" to install.

MDA400 wrote:

and the M.2-3 port on the lower part of the Prime Z690-A that communicates with the CPU through DMI (has a WD SN850 SSD installed in it)

This is the same for me the problematic slot is the one connected to the CPU.
In my testing PCIEX Native power management disabled does stop WHEA on this port but the system is still unstable every few days.

On the m2 slot connected to chipset there's no problem.

It should be very clear to Asus to repeat these issues.

MDA400
Level 7
Update - Apologies, confused PCIe native power management with "Native ASPM" setting.

Currently testing PCIE Native Power Management disabled. Have "Link State Power Management" off in Windows too, though this shouldn't matter when Native power management is disabled in BIOS.

PCIE PEG ASPM set to L0sL1 while native power management is enabled, doesn't seem to cause WHEA 17 errors regarding the 1st PCI-E (gen5) slot.

All of this is still using the change to generic "PCI Express Root Port" driver for devices reporting WHEA 17 errors.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi MDA400,
Thank you for your reply.
May I double confirm if you disable PCIE Native Power Management only(other settings are default and no OC) and don't change to generic "PCI Express Root Port" driver, do you still get WHEA 17 error and BSOD?
Which apps do you use for running a graphics app and root port 7AC8 (m.2-3)? 3Dmark and CrystalDiskMark?
Have you tried installing SSD in other M.2 slot and reinstalling windows11?
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of the motherboard via PM
- the brand and the model name of your CPU, RAM, graphics card, and PSU
(Please check the specific model name of RAM such as G.SKILL F5-6800U4040G16GX2-TZ5S.)
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi MDA400,
Thank you for your reply.
May I double confirm if you disable PCIE Native Power Management only(other settings are default and no OC) and don't change to generic "PCI Express Root Port" driver, do you still get WHEA 17 error and BSOD?
Which apps do you use for running a graphics app and root port 7AC8 (m.2-3)? 3Dmark and CrystalDiskMark?
(Please check the specific model name of RAM such as G.SKILL F5-6800U4040G16GX2-TZ5S.)
Thank you.

if you disable PCIE Native Power Management only(other settings are default and no OC) and don't change to generic "PCI Express Root Port" driver, do you still get WHEA 17 error and BSOD?

Using intel-named drivers and disabling PCIE Native Power Management, i have not seen any WHEA 17 errors since yesterday, but there was a BSOD when playing a game (TDR Video failure) so i am currently testing with generic PCI Express Root Port driver for PEG10 instead (graphics card in slot 1 Gen 5)

I have tried both of these apps as well as the app i noticed the M.2 WHEA 17 errors from (Gears of War: Ultimate Edition PC that is installed on the SSD in slot M.2-3)

I have not and i do not wish to do this seeing as PCIE Native Power Management setting and PCI Express Root Port drivers are looking to be the culprit.

I ran the commands sfc /scannow, chkdsk /scan (on each storage drive in my system), and dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth and none of these operating system file system diagnostic tools reported anything corrupt with system files.

I will send the motherboard serial number in a PM to you

The brands and models of my hardware are:

CPU - Intel Core-i7 12700k
RAM - Crucial CT2K8G48C40U5
GPU - EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
PSU - Corsair RM850x 850 watt (2021 model)

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Dodgexander,
The M.2_3 slot on Prime Z690-A is the slot from chipset, so not sure if the condition is same as yours.
However, for your WHEA 17 case, our tech team have reported it to Intel, but it would take longer time to discuss with Intel, so please disable PCIE Native Power Management temporarily.
We will keep updated if there is any news.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Dodgexander,
The M.2_3 slot on Prime Z690-A is the slot from chipset, so not sure if the condition is same as yours.
However, for your WHEA 17 case, our tech team have reported it to Intel, but it would take longer time to discuss with Intel, so please disable PCIE Native Power Management temporarily.
We will keep updated if there is any news.
Thank you.

Thank you for helping. At the moment I am using the other M2 slot and everything is stable, no more problems.
I will intend to use the other slot in the future, and I'm keen on a fix so please keep me updated. Hopefully it's as simple as a driver or bios update.

BTW I think this really should be a priority, even with PCIE Native Power Management disabled, when the problematic slot linked to the CPU is used the system is still not stable. Also, really important to other users with the errors: I have found there is data loss and corruption caused by the instability, since I originally used the broken port.

For those using both ports (two NVME drives) the system is not useable, and they have every right for Asus to provide a fix for the issue or get a replacement/refund. Only thing they can do is currently use a single SSD which is really not acceptable.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Dodgexander,
May I know more detail about the instability with two NVME drives installed?
Which M.2 slots do you install the two NVME drives in?
Bothe of them are TEAMGROUP T-Force CARDEA A440?
What happened on bios 1720 with bios all default settings(only PCIE Native Power Management disabled) and you think it was not useable?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Dodgexander,
May I know more detail about the instability with two NVME drives installed?
Which M.2 slots do you install the two NVME drives in?
Bothe of them are TEAMGROUP T-Force CARDEA A440?
What happened on bios 1720 with bios all default settings(only PCIE Native Power Management disabled) and you think it was not useable?
Thank you.

I do not have two NVME drives, but only one.
The instability with two SSD is only because one being installed in the CPU connected slot. It has nothing to do with using two SSD's total.

PCIE Native Power Management disabled is not a solution, there's still instability but it's not as often. . When you change this and an SSD is connected direct to CPU you think it is stable, but a day or two later you get BSOD.

Only solution on the Z690i is to use slot that is connected to Z690 chipset and not the CPU connected slot.

I trust you've now been able to repeat the issue, and why you're in contact with Intel?

It's worth considering your customer here. The first report of this was in November last year in this thread. It's now August 2022 9 months later and there's no fix.

Peoples warranty is going to run out soon and need to have an answer.

With all due respect ASUS is behaving poorly and displaying a total lack of integrity and lack of respect for their faithful customers!

Their noneffectual and pathetic attempts to "put lipstick on a pig" is a realistic manifestation of a corrupt and despotic business model.

Just look at the crap the moderators are attempting to force on the victims of defective motherboards they purchased that were manufactured by ASUS!

So they suggest many "fixes" that:
1. Cause the motherboard to run hotter than it should.
2. Disable the utilization of major features of the motherboard, i.e. Use only 1 NVME slot etc.! Pathetic!

When is ASUS going to step up to the plate and do the right thing?:mad: