cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix z690A Gaming WiFi WHEa 17 Errors

Grendel602
Level 7
Swapped my fully functioning 3090RTX, 9900K, Z390 Gigabyte Designare setup for a brand new Z690 and 12900K rig.

After swapping all components over to the Gaming Wifi MOBO and 12900k combo, install WIN 11 and I get thousands of WHEA errors for ven_8086&dev_ 460d&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_02

I also get random hangup, BSODS, and straight crashes.

I'm a day of frustration away from RMA. I swapped back to old system and all works perfectly with 9900k and Z390 mobo, so the only possible hardware issue is the mobo or CPU....I guessing this is a mobo hardware component issue.

PCI ID Repository suggests it is a 12th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller #1.

Device manager showed no issues with any hardware.
80,693 Views
333 REPLIES 333

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Dodgexander,
There is new bios 1601 released for ROG STRIX Z690-I GAMING WIFI.
Please check if WHEA 17 warning and BSOD still occur on bios 1601 with bios all default settings or only PCIE native power management disabled.
If you still get WHEA 17 warning and BSOD, what is the error message with BSOD?
Thank you.

I have gotten WHEA 17 errors with power management enabled ever since I owned this motherboard (Z690 Strix-E). It seems like disabling power management fixes the issue. The latest bios (1601) does not fix it either. Is the only solution to keep this setting disabled? Will there never be another fix?

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Dodgexander,
There is new bios 1601 released for ROG STRIX Z690-I GAMING WIFI.
Please check if WHEA 17 warning and BSOD still occur on bios 1601 with bios all default settings or only PCIE native power management disabled.
If you still get WHEA 17 warning and BSOD, what is the error message with BSOD?
Thank you.

The new bios doesn't help. Installed it, reset to default settings and exactly the same thing happens with PCIE Native Power Management enabled.
With PCIE Native Power Management Disabled there are no WHEA errors.

But I realised a mistake, every boot or restart you have to re-disable PCIE Native Power Management, otherwise you get WHEA errors again. This is why I thought disabling it didn't help. Because after every reboot or shut down it re-enables itself!!. Why is it not saved? 😞

I now have PCIE Native Power Management set as favourite in BIOS because I have to enable it every time I start or restart my PC.

When will we see a fix so we can use PCIE Native Power Management again?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Dodgexander,
If you only disable PCIE native power management and other bios settings are default, does it enabled again after every boot or restart?
Did you get WHEA 17 error right after boot into windows or only when playing World of Warcraft? How long did you play World of Warcraft would get WHEA 17 error and BSOD with PCIE native power management enabled?
May I have the information below?
- the serial number of the motherboard via PM
- the brand and the model name of your CPU, RAM, graphics card, OS drive, and PSU
(Please check the specific model name of RAM such as G.SKILL F5-6800U4040G16GX2-TZ5S.)
- OS version and OS build
- name and version of the games you playing and get WHEA 17 error and BSOD
- a screenshot of WHEA 17
- a video of PCIE native power management enabled again after every boot or restart
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Dodgexander,
If you only disable PCIE native power management and other bios settings are default, does it enabled again after every boot or restart?
Did you get WHEA 17 error right after boot into windows or only when playing World of Warcraft? How long did you play World of Warcraft would get WHEA 17 error and BSOD with PCIE native power management enabled?
May I have the information below?
- the serial number of the motherboard via PM
- the brand and the model name of your CPU, RAM, graphics card, OS drive, and PSU
(Please check the specific model name of RAM such as G.SKILL F5-6800U4040G16GX2-TZ5S.)
- OS version and OS build
- name and version of the games you playing and get WHEA 17 error and BSOD
- a screenshot of WHEA 17
- a video of PCIE native power management enabled again after every boot or restart
Thank you.

Turns out the new 1601 BIOS fixed the problem of PCIE Native Power Management re-enabling itself each boot. It now stays disabled. This is the first time this in particular has been fixed.
Nonetheless, we should be able to use PCIE Native Power Management without WHEA errors.

- the serial number of the motherboard via PM
I have PMed you.
- the brand and the model name of your CPU, RAM, graphics card, OS drive, and PSU
i7 12700k, 32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulkan 5200mhz CL40, EVGA 2080 XC2 Ultra, TEAMGROUP T-Force CARDEA A440 (on your compatibility list), Corsair SF Series, SF750.

(Please check the specific model name of RAM such as G.SKILL F5-6800U4040G16GX2-TZ5S.)
Model number is: FLRD532G5200HC40CDC01 on your compatibility list.

- OS version and OS build
Windows 11 Pro, 21H2, Build: 22000.795
- name and version of the games you playing and get WHEA 17 error and BSOD
You don't need to play a game, you get spammed even on system startup. Anything that tests GPU more you will see them more often.
- a screenshot of WHEA 17
94103
94104

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Dodgexander,
May I double confirm there is no BSOD on bios 1601 with bios all default settings?
Do you use GPU riser?
Which app do you use to test GPU and get more WHEA 17 error?
May I have the graphics driver version and the brand, the model name of your OS drive(which slot installed in)
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Dodgexander,
May I double confirm there is no BSOD on bios 1601 with bios all default settings?
Do you use GPU riser?
Which app do you use to test GPU and get more WHEA 17 error?
May I have the graphics driver version and the brand, the model name of your OS drive(which slot installed in)
Thank you.


  • With default settings there is often BSOD due to the WHEA 17 spam. If PCIE Native Power Management is disabled, there is no BSOD.
  • You can just boot up windows, but if you want big spam just play a game. I can try world of warcraft, football manager 2021, Dying Light 2. Any demanding game, it doesn't matter. Even outside of game there is constant WHEA 17 spam in event log. This later leads to BSODs...on average sometimes as much as 10 in 3 days, or 1 in 3 days.
  • The BSOD messages are usually related to storage.
  • I am using a riser, my case SSUPD Meshilicious does not work without one. The riser is the PCIE4 Linkup one that comes with the case.
  • Nvidia EVGA RTX 2080 XC2 Ultra, Latest Nvidia 516.59.
  • The drive I use is a TEAMGROUP T-Force CARDEA A440 - It is on your compatibility list. It's installed in the top slot.


Is Asus any closer to providing a solution?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Schug,
Do you get WHEA 17 errors on bios 1601 with bios all default settings?
Do you have any issue such as BSOD or freeze when you get WHEA 17 errors?
Do you get WHEA 17 errors right after boot into windows or when running the specific games? How often does it occurs?
Thank you.

Thank god I found this thread... For months I've been pulling out whatever hair I have left trying to figure out why my build keeps rebooting and why I have a list of whea errors that looks like cheesecake factory menu... I too messed with power management after trying to decipher the errors and it mitigated it for a while as well as flashing bios update after bios update. I even got a new board thinking I got a dud. Is this a hardware issue?

I get the errors with default settings. It seems to happen rather consistently right after booting into windows. I had 15 or so after an hour. I don't normally BSOD or freeze but I notice that my NVMe drive speed is incredibly slow and when I do anything that utilizes it the errors start racking up. Disabling the native power management setting does fix it but I'm not sure why it happens with it on.

I actually didn't get any errors after first boot with 1601 installed. However, it started happening after the first reboot with default settings.