cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix z690A Gaming WiFi WHEa 17 Errors

Grendel602
Level 7
Swapped my fully functioning 3090RTX, 9900K, Z390 Gigabyte Designare setup for a brand new Z690 and 12900K rig.

After swapping all components over to the Gaming Wifi MOBO and 12900k combo, install WIN 11 and I get thousands of WHEA errors for ven_8086&dev_ 460d&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_02

I also get random hangup, BSODS, and straight crashes.

I'm a day of frustration away from RMA. I swapped back to old system and all works perfectly with 9900k and Z390 mobo, so the only possible hardware issue is the mobo or CPU....I guessing this is a mobo hardware component issue.

PCI ID Repository suggests it is a 12th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller #1.

Device manager showed no issues with any hardware.
333 REPLIES 333

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Nosyok_,
Thank you for your reply.
Does the pc freeze and crash when running Far Cry 6, Metro Exodus EE, 3DMark? How long do you run the apps, the pc freeze and crash often?
Does the crash mean the app close itself?
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of the motherboard via PM
- is the pc specs same as your profile?
Please check the specific model name of your ram such as F4-3200C16D-16GTZR.
Which M.2 slot do you install a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1To and a Kingston A2000 500G?
- OS build
- a screenshot of WHEA Error 1
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Nosyok_,
Does the pc freeze and crash when running Far Cry 6, Metro Exodus EE, 3DMark? How long do you run the apps, the pc freeze and crash often?
Does the crash mean the app close itself?
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of the motherboard via PM
- is the pc specs same as your profile?
Please check the specific model name of your ram such as F4-3200C16D-16GTZR.
Which M.2 slot do you install a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1To and a Kingston A2000 500G?
- OS build
- a screenshot of WHEA Error 1
Thank you.

Hello,

It's completely random, it can freeze after 2 minutes of gaming or 2 hours and after don't crash for 3 days...
My pc specs are the same as my profile.
It's F4-3200C16D-16GTZR like you said.
My Samsung 970 Evo Plus was installed in M.2_1 and my Kingston A2000 in M.2_2 but I tried to put my Samsung 970 Evo Plus in M.2_3 but it doesn't change anything, I just had a freeze which required the restart of the computer and which gave me a WHEA 1 error.
Image If you need a better screenshot, just tell me (it's in French sorry 😞 )
I'm using Windows 11 21H2 22000.493

EDIT: Just before the freeze, I was getting a looooooooooot of WHEA 17 errors from the GPU
(PCI Express Native Power Management was enabled because I wanted to see if it wasn’t disabling it that caused these freezes but no, it’s not)

zasy99
Level 8
I arrived here due to a BSOD and then WHEA 1 & 17 entries in my event viewer.
This is a brand new system build with a 3080 GPU that I previously had running for 4-5 months without a single problem Asus Hero MB with an i7-4790k.

New System specs:
Asus ROG Strix z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 with BIOS 1003
CPU Intel 12700K not overclocked
GPU Nvidia 3080 Reference
32GB (2x16) G.Skill. 3200C14-16GTZ using XMP Profile 1
M.2_1 = WD Black SN850 1TB
M.2_2 = Corsair MP600 2TB
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 Build 19044.1526

System crashed playing Conan Exils with a BSOD and GPU-TDR error.
Checking event viewer there was a WHEA 17 at the time.
I have not played much since then but I see daily a WHEA 1 entry.
Flashed BIOS to 1003 and latest GPU drivers, no noticeable improvement.
Also getting a lot of other entries I don't like to see such as: e2fexpress, Kernel Power, ACPI

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi zasy99,
For WHEA 17 error, please enter Advanced Mode > Platform Misc Configuration > PCI Express Native Power Management > Disabled and then see if the errors appear again.
Does BSOD and WHEA 1 only occur when playing Conan Exils? How long do you play the game before the BSOD?
Does it also occur with bios all default settings?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi zasy99,
For WHEA 17 error, please enter Advanced Mode > Platform Misc Configuration > PCI Express Native Power Management > Disabled and then see if the errors appear again.
Does BSOD and WHEA 1 only occur when playing Conan Exils? How long do you play the game before the BSOD?
Does it also occur with bios all default settings?
Thank you.

Hi STARRAIN:
For clarification, the BSOD in Conan resulted in a WHEA 17 error, exactly how long into the gameplay it happened I do not remember.
I had the BSOD only once until now but as I had had a very stable system with my 3080 before this Z690 / 12700K combo I decided to look up my issue and found this thread so I decided to report my problem as well.
Every morning when I turn the PC on I get a single WHEA 1 error "A fatal hardware error has occurred. A record describing the condition is contained in the data section of this event." however using a hex to text converter on the data does not indicate any recognizable device.
This morning I turned off " Advanced Mode > Platform Misc Configuration > PCI Express Native Power Management".
I will give it a day or two and report back.

Hello,

I found the solution to my crashes ! (I hope it's not a false hope...)

After disabling in bios PCI Express Native Power Management, ASPM and PCI Express Clock Gating, I had zero WHEA 1/17 errors, zero crashes of Nvidia drivers or freezes requiring the restart of the computer.
These options are disabled by default on Z690 motherboards of the brand that begins with an M, maybe they are aware that they can cause instabilities.

The only problem is that since I disabled these options, I noticed that the chipset is much hotter but nothing alarming.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Nosyok_,
I'll consult our tech team more about your scenario.

zasy99
Level 8
Enabling PEG - ASPM ie changing it to L0sL1 in the BIOS causes a definite WHEA 17 error just after boot and a random GPU TDR BSOD and hard crash at any time, even while just on the desktop, without playing a game.

PCI Express Native Power Management Enabled or Disabled makes no difference for me, I get a WHEA 1 error with it on or off.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi zasy99,
Disabling PCI Express Native Power Management is the advice for WHEA 17 error.
For WHEA 1 error, please refer to Nosyok_'s advice to see if it works on yours as well.
Thank you.

No crashes in 8 days since using these settings 😄