cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix z690A Gaming WiFi WHEa 17 Errors

Grendel602
Level 7
Swapped my fully functioning 3090RTX, 9900K, Z390 Gigabyte Designare setup for a brand new Z690 and 12900K rig.

After swapping all components over to the Gaming Wifi MOBO and 12900k combo, install WIN 11 and I get thousands of WHEA errors for ven_8086&dev_ 460d&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_02

I also get random hangup, BSODS, and straight crashes.

I'm a day of frustration away from RMA. I swapped back to old system and all works perfectly with 9900k and Z390 mobo, so the only possible hardware issue is the mobo or CPU....I guessing this is a mobo hardware component issue.

PCI ID Repository suggests it is a 12th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller #1.

Device manager showed no issues with any hardware.
333 REPLIES 333

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi MDA400,
We will report your WHEA 17 condition to our tech team, and please disable PCIE Native Power Management in this period.
As for BSOD, the cause is more various. Please see if it occurs again after the change.
Thank you.

jgs5093
Level 7
I had this same problem with my Z690-I. Switching to the nvme slot connected to the chipset (under the daughter card) stopped my crashes (I haven't re-enabled the power management however). I tried booting without the daughter card installed and the system would not boot, so even if you have no ssd installed in the defective slots the daughter card must be installed. Asus should provide a fix for this, as the current solution is a workaround which degrades the capability of the system which we all paid for. I'm glad we have a way to make our systems usable, but disappointed in Asus. Im sad to say I think they just aren't the same quality they once were.

Its not looking to be ASUS' fault, but intel's / Windows'
since turning off Native PCIE Power Management stops some of the WHEA 17 errors and instability,
while changing the PCI Express Root Port driver in Device Manager (for any WHEA 17 error devices reported in Event Viewer) to the generic one instead of the Intel-named one (Intel-named one gets installed from either windows update or using the chipset inf utility from intel that is supplied to motherboard manufacturers too).

I have had no BSOD's or WHEA 17 errors since my last post after doing the above and i run an overclocked system
(12700k @ 5.2ghz all P-core/4.1ghz all e-core, 5.5ghz 1-2 P core , DDR5 4800mhz OC to 5508mhz, RTX 3080 Ti when fully stressed runs at 1950mhz core / 21.35ghz memory at 4k/120hz)

jgs5093 wrote:
I had this same problem with my Z690-I. Switching to the nvme slot connected to the chipset (under the daughter card) stopped my crashes (I haven't re-enabled the power management however). I tried booting without the daughter card installed and the system would not boot, so even if you have no ssd installed in the defective slots the daughter card must be installed. Asus should provide a fix for this, as the current solution is a workaround which degrades the capability of the system which we all paid for. I'm glad we have a way to make our systems usable, but disappointed in Asus. Im sad to say I think they just aren't the same quality they once were.

I tried that before with the daughter card, but the way it's connected to the mainboard is through the daughter. A bit of a strange design since you'd think the one closer to the board would be the one directly connected.
If you are having to use the broken slot, try the steps mentioned by MDA400 below to install the generic driver to see if it works for you.
I am using the bottom slot like you and have all power saving features enabled no problem.

MDA400 wrote:
Its not looking to be ASUS' fault, but intel's / Windows'
since turning off Native PCIE Power Management stops some of the WHEA 17 errors and instability,
while changing the PCI Express Root Port driver in Device Manager (for any WHEA 17 error devices reported in Event Viewer) to the generic one instead of the Intel-named one (Intel-named one gets installed from either windows update or using the chipset inf utility from intel that is supplied to motherboard manufacturers too).

I have had no BSOD's or WHEA 17 errors since my last post after doing the above and i run an overclocked system
(12700k @ 5.2ghz all P-core/4.1ghz all e-core, 5.5ghz 1-2 P core , DDR5 4800mhz OC to 5508mhz, RTX 3080 Ti when fully stressed runs at 1950mhz core / 21.35ghz memory at 4k/120hz)

Thank you, your findings could be crucial, and hopefully it means a driver fix is all that's needed. I do worry that the intel driver is required for these power saving features to work and may be why the generic Microsoft driver is working okay compared.

But it does not really matter if it's intel or Asus' fault. Asus sell these boards and test them themselves. If they do not spot such obvious issues the onus is entirely on them. Luckily (at least for the Z690I) it seems they have finally been able to spot the problem and are in contact with intel about it. I am hoping for a solution soon.

ilnickif
Level 8
Generally i vad also problems with the seme Motherboard, , maybe not so severe , but i had errors related to USB devices, some problems with those, visible in device managr and Shutdowns when i was doing something with USB - devices ( like plug in or out or mouse movement) I had ONLY problems with WIN 11. when i returned to win 10 literaly ZERO problems, maybe you should verify if you will have problems with win 10.

FILIP

I have had this problem off and on since I bought my Strix Z690-E. I am not 100% sure, but it seems related to how much power the NVME drives are using. I have had no issues with up to 4 Samsung 980 Pro drives, 4 Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus drives and a current combination of a 980 pro, rocket 4 plus and a Seagate Firecuda 530. However, I have had problems with Western Digital SN850 drives and The XPG GAMMIX S70 Blade. Looking at various reviews it seems that those drives use more power than most. So, I'm thinking maybe theres an issue when the power level ramps up and down causing problems. It is just a theory, but it does seem odd to me that the drives that use the most power have issues every time I try them.

Have not had any WHEA 17 errors since i cleared the system log 10 days ago.

Looks like disabling Native PCIE Power Management and changing PEG10 slot to Microsoft PCI Express Root Port driver seems to have supressed WHEA 17 errors for me and i have not had a system crash since.

I tested the M.2-3 port again with the intel-named root port driver (system device 7AC8 in Device Manager) and still no WHEA 17 errors. So this must have only been affected by the Native PCIE Power Management setting.

System uptime for today has been 4 hours with mix of gaming and web browsing.

mda400 wrote:
have not had any whea 17 errors since i cleared the system log 10 days ago.

Looks like disabling native pcie power management and changing peg10 slot to microsoft pci express root port driver seems to have supressed whea 17 errors for me and i have not had a system crash since.

I tested the m.2-3 port again with the intel-named root port driver (system device 7ac8 in device manager) and still no whea 17 errors. So this must have only been affected by the native pcie power management setting.

system uptime for today has been 4 hours with mix of gaming and web browsing.

phone-e

MDA400 wrote:
Have not had any WHEA 17 errors since i cleared the system log 10 days ago.

Looks like disabling Native PCIE Power Management and changing PEG10 slot to Microsoft PCI Express Root Port driver seems to have supressed WHEA 17 errors for me and i have not had a system crash since.

I tested the M.2-3 port again with the intel-named root port driver (system device 7AC8 in Device Manager) and still no WHEA 17 errors. So this must have only been affected by the Native PCIE Power Management setting.

System uptime for today has been 4 hours with mix of gaming and web browsing.

ASUS Strix z690-I only has 2 M.2 ports!

mini-itx wrote:
ASUS Strix z690-I only has 2 M.2 ports!

I mentioned earlier that i am using a Prime z690-A motherboard, but had similar issues to those using other ASUS z690 motherboards with these instability/WHEA 17 error issues.

Respectfully I suggest you read from my past posts and see if any of those steps modifications i did, help you at all (at your own comfort of course).