cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix z690A Gaming WiFi WHEa 17 Errors

Grendel602
Level 7
Swapped my fully functioning 3090RTX, 9900K, Z390 Gigabyte Designare setup for a brand new Z690 and 12900K rig.

After swapping all components over to the Gaming Wifi MOBO and 12900k combo, install WIN 11 and I get thousands of WHEA errors for ven_8086&dev_ 460d&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_02

I also get random hangup, BSODS, and straight crashes.

I'm a day of frustration away from RMA. I swapped back to old system and all works perfectly with 9900k and Z390 mobo, so the only possible hardware issue is the mobo or CPU....I guessing this is a mobo hardware component issue.

PCI ID Repository suggests it is a 12th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller #1.

Device manager showed no issues with any hardware.
405 Views
333 REPLIES 333

Dodgexander wrote:
Here's the latest update from support:



Very discouraging to say the least after being told a fix would be worked on.

This is a widespread issue with all Z690 motherboards, with Gigabyte they even had to replace customer boards.

What's Asus official stance on this please?


Yup, I saw that a while ago, Gigabyte is offering refunds or upgrades to other boards for their ones heavily affected by the same issue.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Press/News/1991

Is this a affecting all these boards? i have one but am running a 1070ti gpu atm. Is there no way to tell if your board has this issue unless you have a gen 4 gpu? Or are all z690 boards affected?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Dodgexander,
After disable PCIE native power management, you don't get any WHEA 17 warning and BSOD?
Which apps do you run will get WHEA 17 warning and BSOD on bios 1505 with bios all default settings?
If it occurs when run the specific apps, how long do you run the app will get WHEA 17 warning and BSOD?
Thank you.

Petrufel
Level 7
ROG STRIX Z690-I GAMING WIFI with latest bios Version 1505
ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 OC Edition 10GB GDDR6X

Same issue. Sent email to Asus Support, hope they fix it.
I wonder if it something to do with PCI-E gen 4 riser? This is mini ITX board and I use it in dan a4h2o case with the riser.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Petrufel,
Do you have any issue while get WHEA 17 warning?
Does it also occur on bios 1505 with bios all default settings?
Could you please help to check if it is still present without the riser?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:

Do you have any issue while get WHEA 17 warning?
Does it also occur on bios 1505 with bios all default settings?
Could you please help to check if it is still present without the riser?
Thank you.


I do have WHEA 17 when PCI Express Native Power Management is Enabled.
Disabeling it fixes the issue, as far as I can tell.
I tried Clearing CMOS, reflashing the latest BIOS, Clearing CMOS again. (as my icue software reads 127C sensor ) Only thing I changed in the bios is I set XMP profile for the ram.
Unfortunately card wont fit in the case, as I bought miniITX build for the miniITX build. It would be hard to test it without the riser without full disassebly. 😞

I'm not sure if disabling ta Native Power Managment affecting the performance. I guess it should not, as it only can reduce power consumption. Do you have a clue?

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Dodgexander,
After disable PCIE native power management, you don't get any WHEA 17 warning and BSOD?
Which apps do you run will get WHEA 17 warning and BSOD on bios 1505 with bios all default settings?
If it occurs when run the specific apps, how long do you run the app will get WHEA 17 warning and BSOD?
Thank you.

Disabling PCIE native power management was working for me until today. Today even when disabled I get the errors in event log and a BSOD. I was doing some light gaming in World of Warcraft.
With power management enabled, default settings and bios 1505 I get even more WHEA errors in event log, a spam of non-stop errors.
Now with it disabled, I get some errors, but not as many. System is still not stable but it only crashes from time to time rather than constantly.

Its pretty intermittent with power management disabled. Sometimes system will be fine, other times it will get hit hard by WHEA. It usually happens when gaming, when it does BSOD or event log spam WHEA17.
I have a memory dump for a WHEA 17 error if needed.

simon5g wrote:
Is this a affecting all these boards? i have one but am running a 1070ti gpu atm. Is there no way to tell if your board has this issue unless you have a gen 4 gpu? Or are all z690 boards affected?

Check your event log under system messages for WHEA errors.

Petrufel wrote:
ROG STRIX Z690-I GAMING WIFI with latest bios Version 1505
ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 OC Edition 10GB GDDR6X

Same issue. Sent email to Asus Support, hope they fix it.
I wonder if it something to do with PCI-E gen 4 riser? This is mini ITX board and I use it in dan a4h2o case with the riser.

This thread is for the z690A but like you I have the Z690I. AFAIK it is effecting all Z690 boards.

zasy99 wrote:
Yup, I saw that a while ago, Gigabyte is offering refunds or upgrades to other boards for their ones heavily affected by the same issue.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Press/News/1991

Hey they are at least acknowledging the issue. Right now we are having to live with unstable systems and an uncertain future from Asus.

I'm about to return my board, frankly.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Petrufel,
Do you mean only get WHEA 17 but the pc is working fine?
Do you get WHEA 17 right after boot into windows or when running the specific apps? How often do you get it?
If you often get WHEA 17, is it possible to check it without the case and the riser for a while?
Could you please help to check if WHEA 17 is present on 1505 with bios all default settings(disabling XMP)?
Please rest assured that disabling PCI Express Native Power Management doesn't affect the performance.
Thank you.

Petrufel
Level 7
@STARRAIN@ROG, It seems stable (no apps crashing) when PCI Express Native Power Management is disabled.
When PCI Express Native Power Management was enabled I got some games crashing.
WHEA 17 are persistent when PCI Express Native Power Management is enabled with bios 1505 in default settings XMP off (defaults loaded). Right from the start 10s and 100s of them every minute. I did memtest with no errors as well.
I would do some testing without the case and the riser later.
For now just keep my Native Power Management disabled, as it seems resolving the issue.
No BSODs in any states though.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Petrufel,
Thank you for your reply.
Do you mean some games would close itself without any error message when PCI Express Native Power Management was enabled?
Do you get the games crashing right after open the games or after run for a while? What is the frequency of occurrence?
If you still get a lot of WHEA 17 every minute right after boot into windows and the games crashing without the case and the riser, may I have the information below?
- the serial number of the motherboard via PM
- the brand and the model name of your CPU, RAM, graphics card, OS drive, PSU and pc case
(Please check the specific model name of RAM such as G.SKILL F5-6800U4040G16GX2-TZ5S.)
- OS version and OS build
- name and version of the crashing games
- a screenshot of WHEA 17
Thank you.