cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix z690A Gaming WiFi WHEa 17 Errors

Grendel602
Level 7
Swapped my fully functioning 3090RTX, 9900K, Z390 Gigabyte Designare setup for a brand new Z690 and 12900K rig.

After swapping all components over to the Gaming Wifi MOBO and 12900k combo, install WIN 11 and I get thousands of WHEA errors for ven_8086&dev_ 460d&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_02

I also get random hangup, BSODS, and straight crashes.

I'm a day of frustration away from RMA. I swapped back to old system and all works perfectly with 9900k and Z390 mobo, so the only possible hardware issue is the mobo or CPU....I guessing this is a mobo hardware component issue.

PCI ID Repository suggests it is a 12th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller #1.

Device manager showed no issues with any hardware.
526 Views
333 REPLIES 333

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi all,
For WHEA 17 error, please enter Advanced Mod > Platform Misc Configuration > PCI Express Native Power Management > Disabled and then see if the errors appear again.
Thank you.

It is kind of crazy that the same issue from z590 board continue in z690 board. I had that issue in ROG Maximus XIII z590. I set my PCIe to 3.0 solve the WHEA issue. After browsing the google led me to this thread and currently testing out if disable the native power setting would help.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Nosyok_,
Do you have any issue such as randomly the computer freezes in game or BSOD while WHEA 17 Errors appear?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Nosyok_,
Do you have any issue such as randomly the computer freezes in game or BSOD while WHEA 17 Errors appear?
Thank you.


Hello, even with a new CPU there are always WHEA 17 Errors coming from PEG10 - 460D if PCI Express Native Power Management is enabled.

I didn't experienced a complete freeze of the computer requiring a restart since the swap of CPU but it's clearly too early to say if it fixes this but Far Cry 6 has crashed during playing and in Event Viewer there was a crash of the Nvidia driver and exactly the same during a 3DMark loop. Since, I'm playing with the GPU in PCIE Gen 3 Mode and I don't have experienced any crashes.

I tried various drivers from Nvidia (511.72 hotfix, 511.23, 496.76, 472.12...), disabling GPU Scheduling, removing Xbox Game Bar, disabling Resizable BAR in bios, various versions of vbios, clean install of Windows 11, latest Intel chipset drivers, underclocking the GPU, I tried almost everything that could impact the GPU...
The only thing that works is forcing the GPU to PCIE Gen 3 Mode in Bios, absolutely no crashes or freezes and WHEA 17 errors also disappear even with PCI Express Native Power Management enabled.

For me, PCI Express Native Power Management removes WHEA 17 errors in PCIE Gen 4 mode but has no impact on crashes.

I don't use a riser, the GPU is directly connected to the motherboard. I have used this GPU for 9 months on a ROG Strix Z370-E with a 8700k without any problem (but it's PCIE 3.0 Only), I was able to try this GPU for 3 days on a AMD Ryzen platform in PCIE Gen 4 and I had no crashes. (but maybe it wasn't enough to be sure)

When the computer freeze, I never have a BSOD, the computer freezes on the last image it displayed and I have to force shutdown with the Power button. Win + Ctrl + Shift + B shortcut for reset the GPU Driver don't work too. In Event Viewer it show me WHEA Error 1 without being precise of what caused it.

Can a GPU be faulty only on PCIE Gen 4 mode and working perfectly in PCIE Gen 3 ? it's really strange. :confused:

Jane_Doe
Level 7
@Nosyok

Same as you. It happen to me again after install new strix rtx 3050. In google chrome just hang and all system freeze. Yes I got whea event 1 in event viewer too... So, I force restart my computer and got same whea 1 while system boot up. After that I try one more restart and new whea 1 appear while boot up system. So, I change bios to default and no whea on boot up 🙂 If you ask me, bios is problem, not GPU or CPU... My gpu is new one, coldest one from rtx 3050 with max temp of 51C. I have had same problem one month ago while I build up new computer in my signature. Same problem and same fix, but then I used rtx 2060...

Jane Doe wrote:
@Nosyok

Same as you. It happen to me again after install new strix rtx 3050. In google chrome just hang and all system freeze. Yes I got whea event 1 in event viewer too... So, I force restart my computer and got same whea 1 while system boot up. After that I try one more restart and new whea 1 appear while boot up system. So, I change bios to default and no whea on boot up 🙂 If you ask me, bios is problem, not GPU or CPU... My gpu is new one, coldest one from rtx 3050 with max temp of 51C. I have had same problem one month ago while I build up new computer in my signature. Same problem and same fix, but then I used rtx 2060...


This is so strange... I don't understand how we can be impacted by this problem but other people don't...

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Nosyok_,
May I double confirm if you disable PCI Express Native Power Management in bios, the computer freezes in game and games crash randomly?
But if you enable PCI Express Native Power Management in bios, besides the computer freezes in game and games crash randomly, you get whea 17 error?
Does it also occur on bios 1003 with bios all default settings?
Have you reinstalled OS or try to install OS on other SSD?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Nosyok_,
May I double confirm if you disable PCI Express Native Power Management in bios, the computer freezes in game and games crash randomly?
But if you enable PCI Express Native Power Management in bios, besides the computer freezes in game and games crash randomly, you get whea 17 error?
Does it also occur on bios 1003 with bios all default settings?
Have you reinstalled OS or try to install OS on other SSD?
Thank you.


Hello,

That's right.
It happens with bios 1003 but I also tried version 0223 and 0807 and it's the same. I reset the bios settings every time to be sure.
I reinstalled Windows 11 twice but always on the same SSD, I have been using this SSD (970 Evo Plus) for a few months on my old rig but the SSD is working great, the firmware is up to date and it passes the verification tests of Samsung Magician software.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Jane Doe,
If you use Rog Strix Z590-F Gaming motherboard, could you please help to create a new thread about it?
Thank you.

Jane_Doe
Level 7
@Nosyok
Yes, it is so strange. We share same 970 evo plus and nvidia gpu. So maybe we can try to look in that direction.