cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX Z690-I z690i - USB Ports getting intermitent disconnect

jacapalaidum
Level 7
I noticed my mouse, a Logitech MX with a poor performance and chopping on the screen sometimes...

I tought with myself: Ok, it's using the Logitech USB receiver and this receiver is probably a poor option. So I decided to swtich to Bluetooth mode.

Ok, now mouse is fine.

Then I started to run Flight Simulator and I noticed that sometimes my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro stops to respond for few seconds and then go back to live. At this moment I deduced: No, wasn't the Logitech receiver on my mouse ! For some reason, my USB ports (rear panel) are facing temp disconnects and this is the reason why my devices tied to USB is not working good...

What is the cause of this ? I recently upgraded my old Asus Rog Strix Mobo running in a 8600 i5 to a Asus Strix Z690-i with Intel 12700KF.
12 REPLIES 12

Squall_Leonhart
Level 8
with amd, it was due to having an m.2 on the cpu.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi jacapalaidum,
Have you tried all USB ports (rear panel) and have disconnecting issue?
Does it occur on bios 1505 with bios all default settings?
Please update PD FW 005 from our support site to check USB again.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi jacapalaidum,
Have you tried all USB ports (rear panel) and have disconnecting issue?
Does it occur on bios 1505 with bios all default settings?
Please update PD FW 005 from our support site to check USB again.
Thank you.

Not attempted all the ports, but I changed to others ports..it's persists.

What is BIOS 1505 ?

and I don't changed anything on the bios.

SmokeyKilla
Level 8
Some users say that they solve USB keeps disconnecting and reconnecting issue by turning off the power option

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi jacapalaidum,
The lasted bios version for ROG STRIX Z690-I GAMING WIFI is 1505.
If you are not using bios 1505, please download and update it from our support site.
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z690-i-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_bios
Thank you.

I am having the same issue. This seems to be a general problem with boards with the Z690 Chipset, people with boards of other brands have it as well (Gigabyte, MSI).

Question @STARRAIN@ROG: I am using a TUF Z690-Plus Wifi D4 and it says the current BIOS Version is 1504 - while my bios version is 1404. Why the heck does Armory Crate then tell me that there are no bios-updates available?

I have recently turned of c-states (some kind of energy saving setting for the cpu in bios) which seems to have had a positive effect although I am not 100% sure that the issue is fixed. Also, some people have reported that using USB-Hubs was detrimental, so I removed mine and replugged which seemed to help. For most people the problems occur when they use the USB-Ports at the back panel of the board - if you can, try to move some of your peripherals to the front usb ports (goodbye aesthetics ...).

Some people suspect a problem with the CPU-USB-Control and power supply - I have no idea what that is but I think the USB-Ports are controlled by some part of the CPU via the Mainboard and that seems to be faulty, thus causing the problems. I do not know if this is really the case, but I am really dissapointed that there seems to be no working cure for this curse, given the fact that SO MANY people have this problem (try searching on reddit or on forums of other manufacturers like gigabyte, there is hundreds of threads reporting this issue).

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Photor,
Please try EZ flash to update bios 1504, and see if USB disconnecting issue occurs on bios 1504 with bios all default settings.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1012815/
Please also update PD FW Version 007 from our support site.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-Z690-PLUS-WIFI-D4/He...
Thank you.

PD FW Version 007 seems to have resolved the issue. Put C-States back to enabled, no issues so far. Have not even updated Bios to 1504 yet ... Hope this is finally a permanent cure ...

Update:

Ok the problem is back. Lost one USB-Port today, power just gone. No matter which device I connected (Mouse, Keyboard, Headset) - that one port just doesnt have power. I restarted and there was STILL no power on that port - had to completely turn pc off, disconnecct from power and restart then. Now the port is back working as if nothing ever happened.

Will do the Bios update now - have little hope ...

Did the BIOS Update to ver. 1601 which came out just on 7/7/2022 (and applied default settings by F5)

Also found that there is a " PD FW Update Tool 007" (under Bios & Firmware), while there is a " USB PD Controller FW update 005" under Drivers & Tools - I installed both but have no idea what the difference is.

Update 2: Problem NOT resolved - especially during gaming I have frequent usb-disconnects. Sometimes its just a second and then everything is back to normal, sometimes ALL connected devices do not respond anymore, sometimes only one device is affected. All peripherals are working perfectly fine on my old system AND on my wive's system, they are definitely not the cause.