cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog Strix Z590-E Gaming Wifi sound issue

Cool_Barn
Level 8
EDIT : It turns out the problem was my DAC, not the motherboard. See my final post for the exhilarating story.

Hello there.

I'm having issues with the optical audio on my new Strix Z590-E Gaming Wifi. I have tried both the Asus and Microsoft drivers, and with both drivers the sound will cut out momentarily every 5 - 10 seconds or so.

Normally the first thing I do upon installing a new motherboard is a fresh Windows install, but for a number of reasons, I am yet to get around to it. I tried running Ubuntu Live to make sure it was software rather than hardware, but that didn't play any sound at all when selecting the Realtek USB option.

I have just updated the BIOS with the most recent version that has just been released.

I can't say for sure whether it's hardware or software, but I'm 95% sure it's driver-related. Probably a fresh install will fix the problem, but if anybody else has experienced this, could you please let me know (and a possible fix 🙂 )

Thank you for your help!
92 REPLIES 92

_Emanuel_ wrote:
What firmware are you referring?

It is a driver issue and Realtek must solve it somehow or it is a bios issue? (meaning some third party code from Realtek that must be included in the UEFI?

He is talking about a new Realtek driver.

Feklar
Level 8
Again I have to mention that as I have seen this only affects the Toslink optical port on the motherboard. I am now using an external DAC and Amp using the signal from the USB 2.0 port. I have now played over 20 hours without the white noise issue coming up even once. I have never had any issue regarding the signal from the USB port only the Toslink optical. I have not been able to replicate the issue going through the USB port at all.

i9 12900k + Asus Maximus Z690 Apex + EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6000l XMP 3.0 Desktop Memory Model F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RK+ Samsung 870 Pro SSD, EVO 1TB, EVO 2TB
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Power Supply + Fractal Meshify 2 XL case
Ek Velocity 2 CPU block, Ek GPU block
Koolance Fittings and QDC's + Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
LG 38GL950G Monitor +
Windows 10 Pro

For the last time: It doesnt only affect the optical port...

iisd wrote:

On my Apex only the optical port has this issue.

i9 12900k + Asus Maximus Z690 Apex + EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6000l XMP 3.0 Desktop Memory Model F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RK+ Samsung 870 Pro SSD, EVO 1TB, EVO 2TB
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Power Supply + Fractal Meshify 2 XL case
Ek Velocity 2 CPU block, Ek GPU block
Koolance Fittings and QDC's + Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
LG 38GL950G Monitor +
Windows 10 Pro

iisd wrote:

On my Z590E only the optical port has this issue.

mgcarnevali wrote:
On my Z590E only the optical port has this issue.

Yes, because the issue is very different on the analog out and only randomly appears, not fixed after a while.
I sometimes go weeks without it happening.

Hello, i have the same trouble.
SPDIF output works for some minutes and then an incredible noise comes from the speaker until i restart the application.
Analog output works fine via Headhone.
Hope this will be fixed soon because using the headphone all the time is not comfortable.

My System:
CPU:i5-11600k, MEM:32GB RAM, Video:RX570, SSM:Samsung 980 Pro 500Gb.

Having the same issue as described above. Hope there is a solution soon. Constant switching from SPDIF to analog and back (Windows soundoutput) to fix the problem isn't a good solution. The noise is hard and scares you time after time.

Hope there is a fix soon!

Greeting.

disenter
Level 7
Like to add I'm having the same issue with mine basically since updating to bios 0704 (i think).
I run klipsch powered studio monitors, and for a long time I've always had the sound turned up to max, or just short of max with my speakers remote, and then just used windows sound to adjust them from there. When this happened the first time, I was mid game, volume about 15, to static so damn loud I think it nearly blew my speakers up as well as my ears. I had NFI WTH was going on but turned my speakers off immediately. Every time I turned them back on, the static was there. So, since my speakers have multiple inputs, I switched to bluetooth, and connected my pc to them that way. No problem. Work perfectly. Switch back to optical, and static... I tried a couple of different optical leads that I know are working fine with other devices in my house, and no change. It would seem there is obviously something wrong with either the driver that handles the optical out, or the optical out itself which then leaves us in a situation of RMA of the motherboard.
Do we have any updates on this terrible issue? Bluetooth is a workaround for me, but not a great one as these speakers will turn themselves off after a time of no sound detected, and will not automatically power themselves back on.
I have just updated to bios 0707 a couple of nights ago, and am pleasantly surprised how much better this board is handling my 11900k for temperature and voltage, and consequently overall system noise. I've just now switched back to optical to see what happens, and so far its working normally on optical. Will update if it goes back to static meltdown.

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi everyone,

Here is the fix (by firmware update) :

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi everyone,

@ ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound Intel motherboard with ALC408x codec owners :

- Realtek USB Audio Firmware (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS Intel MB) :
Drivers : 2.61.9600.69 [21/05/2021]
Download : Link

Fixed SPDIF playing music is noisy