cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix Z590-A Gaming Wifi & Thunderboltex 4 ISSUES!!!

iRoyeaux
Level 7
Hello all! The problem I am suffering is my Thunderboltex 4 REFUSES to work correctly. I have installed all the correct drivers (Version 1.41.1193.0) and the recent firmware (Version 1.1) for the Thunderboltex4 via Asus at: https://www.asus.com/US/supportonly/ThunderboltEX%204/HelpDesk_BIOS/ . One of my key issues is displayed on the Thunderbolt Control Center, under the about menu it says "Pcie Tunneling: Disabled"(can be enabled in bios.) After thoroughly checking my bios there is no option to enable Pcie Tunneling. I don't know how I would otherwise enable this setting in the Bios. I'm hoping that if I can successfully enable this setting my Thunderboltex 4 will begin working correctly. Please someone assist me with unlocking this hidden setting in my Bios or provide me with some kind of workaround, PLEASE!!! I have already opened a case with Asus regarding this issue but decided to be proactive and reach out to the community.

Specs:
OS Edition: Windows 11 Pro
OS Version:22H2
OS Build: 22621.674
Motherboard: ROG Strix Z590-A Gaming Wifi
BIOS Version: 1402
CPU: Core i9 11900k
Memory: 128GB G.Skill Trident-Z Royals
PCIE Slot 1: ROG Strix RTX 3090 24GB White Edition OC
PCIE Slot 2: Thunderboltex 4
PCIE Slot 3: Wireless 5808e Gobi(TM) 4G LTE Mobile Broadband Card
PCIE Slot 4: Alcorlink SDXC Card Reader
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1600G+

Thank you again! If any additional information is required please don't hesitate to request it, I will respond as soon as I can.
26 REPLIES 26

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi iRoyeaux,
Sorry for late reply.
After consult our tech team, thunderboltEX 4 card should be installed in PCIEX4 slot. PCIE tunneling will be enabled after insert thunderbolt portable SSD.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi iRoyeaux,
Sorry for late reply.
After consult our tech team, thunderboltEX 4 card should be installed in PCIEX4 slot. PCIE tunneling will be enabled after insert thunderbolt portable SSD.
Thank you.

Okay, so its already in PCIE slot 4, what other thunderbolt/BIOS settings need to be enabled & disabled to trigger pcie tunneling to enable? Also what do you mean by "after thunderbolt portable SSD"?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi iRoyeaux,
I meant PCIEx4 slot but not PCIE slot 4.
It seems there is no other settings should be changed in bios.
Do you connect any devices to thunderboltEX 4 card when you see PCIE tunneling is disabled?
May I know what devices you connecting to thunderboltEX 4 card?
Thank you.

Pedro_Sanchez
Level 7
iRoyeaux wrote:
Hello all! The problem I am suffering is my Thunderboltex 4 REFUSES to work correctly. I have installed all the correct drivers (Version 1.41.1193.0) and the recent firmware (Version 1.1) for the Thunderboltex4 via Asus at: https://www.asus.com/US/supportonly/ThunderboltEX%204/HelpDesk_BIOS/ . One of my key issues is displayed on the Thunderbolt Control Center, under the about menu it says "Pcie Tunneling: Disabled"(can be enabled in bios.) After thoroughly checking my bios there is no option to enable Pcie Tunneling. I don't know how I would otherwise enable this setting in the Bios. I'm hoping that if I can successfully enable this setting my Thunderboltex 4 will begin working correctly. Please someone assist me with unlocking this hidden setting in my Bios or provide me with some kind of workaround, PLEASE!!! I have already opened a case with Asus regarding this issue but decided to be proactive and reach out to the community.

Specs:

Thank you again! If any additional information is required please don't hesitate to request it, I will respond as soon as I can.

Hello, I got same issue, exactly same. If you found a fix or solution please share, ill do same thing. Thank you

Pedro_Sanchez
Level 7
iRoyeaux wrote:

Specs:

Hello, where you stated " and the recent firmware (Version 1.1) for the Thunderboltex4 " How did you get it to work? When I follow the POOR instructions where it says:

pdate step

1.Please extract the TBTFwUpdateToolEfi V1.1 file and copy is to a USB Drive.
* I did, formatede a USB flash and extracted there, they dont specify if needs a bootable flash drive or no 😞

2.insert USB Drive on motherboard

Did that...

3.press the [Power key] then press and hold the [F2] into BIOS setup meun

Computer shutsdown

4.Click[Advanced mode]

Did that with my own way to get to that menu 🙂

5.Select [Exit] and [Launch EFI Shell from USB drive] into shell mode for update process

Did that, nothing happens, loads windows normal

Please share your fix, Thank you

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, Pedro Sanchez.

Could you help to confirm the model name of your motherboard and the current BIOS version?
May I ask what format you used to format the USB?
If possible, I suggest you try to cross-test with another USB to see if it can be successfully installed.

Thank you.

adzpana
Level 7

I have the exact same motherboard using the ThunderboltEX4 AIC. Though I do believe your issue is the pci slot layout. The only slot is the X4 slot running through the chipset which is what the Thunderbolt card needs. Slots 1,2 & 4 all go to the CPU.