cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix Z590-A Gaming Wifi & Thunderboltex 4 ISSUES!!!

iRoyeaux
Level 7
Hello all! The problem I am suffering is my Thunderboltex 4 REFUSES to work correctly. I have installed all the correct drivers (Version 1.41.1193.0) and the recent firmware (Version 1.1) for the Thunderboltex4 via Asus at: https://www.asus.com/US/supportonly/ThunderboltEX%204/HelpDesk_BIOS/ . One of my key issues is displayed on the Thunderbolt Control Center, under the about menu it says "Pcie Tunneling: Disabled"(can be enabled in bios.) After thoroughly checking my bios there is no option to enable Pcie Tunneling. I don't know how I would otherwise enable this setting in the Bios. I'm hoping that if I can successfully enable this setting my Thunderboltex 4 will begin working correctly. Please someone assist me with unlocking this hidden setting in my Bios or provide me with some kind of workaround, PLEASE!!! I have already opened a case with Asus regarding this issue but decided to be proactive and reach out to the community.

Specs:
OS Edition: Windows 11 Pro
OS Version:22H2
OS Build: 22621.674
Motherboard: ROG Strix Z590-A Gaming Wifi
BIOS Version: 1402
CPU: Core i9 11900k
Memory: 128GB G.Skill Trident-Z Royals
PCIE Slot 1: ROG Strix RTX 3090 24GB White Edition OC
PCIE Slot 2: Thunderboltex 4
PCIE Slot 3: Wireless 5808e Gobi(TM) 4G LTE Mobile Broadband Card
PCIE Slot 4: Alcorlink SDXC Card Reader
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1600G+

Thank you again! If any additional information is required please don't hesitate to request it, I will respond as soon as I can.
26 REPLIES 26

SuddenSaturn
Level 8
For windows, I started with a guide such as this https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/information-protection/kernel-dma-protection-for-...
I really wish I knew exactly which setting(s) made it work. I was changing all of these and then finally swapped PCIE slots and all of a sudden it booted up and worked.

From what I can tell, past versions of Windows required a per-device authorization (hence the "approved devices" tab) it appears that Win11 leans more heavily on securing the Windows kernel and then all devices get approved by default.

I'm pretty sure the media hotswap thing isn't important but I included it for completeness. It's one of the bottom options in the BIOS configs, I think it's under something like AverMedia(?) I'll need to reboot and grab a screenshot. I really don't think it's important but I haven't gone through everything one-by-one since getting it working. Out of desperation I flipped it since it said "hotswap"

Really hoping you can get this working! It took an unbelievable amount of fiddling for me to get it working and would love to see us narrow in on a check-list we can provide back to the community.

SuddenSaturn wrote:
For windows, I started with a guide such as this https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/information-protection/kernel-dma-protection-for-...
I really wish I knew exactly which setting(s) made it work. I was changing all of these and then finally swapped PCIE slots and all of a sudden it booted up and worked.

From what I can tell, past versions of Windows required a per-device authorization (hence the "approved devices" tab) it appears that Win11 leans more heavily on securing the Windows kernel and then all devices get approved by default.

I'm pretty sure the media hotswap thing isn't important but I included it for completeness. It's one of the bottom options in the BIOS configs, I think it's under something like AverMedia(?) I'll need to reboot and grab a screenshot. I really don't think it's important but I haven't gone through everything one-by-one since getting it working. Out of desperation I flipped it since it said "hotswap"

Really hoping you can get this working! It took an unbelievable amount of fiddling for me to get it working and would love to see us narrow in on a check-list we can provide back to the community.

Is there a secert Bios menu? I don't have any of those options in my Bios at all! I haven't been able to swap pcie slots just yet, but I'm planning on getting that swapped later today. I just read online that Intel has just announced Thunderbolt 5, that's kinda ridiculous seeing that they are hardly supporting Thunderbolt 4, no instructions especially for "Thunderbolt 4 supported" Asus Z590 motherboards

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi iRoyeaux,
Have you also tried only install graphics card and Thunderboltex 4 card in PCIEX16_2 or PCIEX16_3?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi iRoyeaux,
Have you also tried only install graphics card and Thunderboltex 4 card in PCIEX16_2 or PCIEX16_3?
Thank you.

As a mater of fact I have. Can you PLEASE share with me what settings you have enabled and disabled in the BIOS of you Z590 motherboard, if your Thunderboltex 4 is working properly?

Or anyone for that matter?! It makes no sense why would it say I have to enable pcie tunneling in the BIOS but the BIOS not have the option to enable pcie tunneling. My best guess is that there has to be a combination of settings (windows & BIOS) which will trigger pcie tunneling to enable. Otherwise ASUS needs to write a new BIOS update which makes this option available for my particular motherboard. At any rate I'm getting close to returning this device if I can't find a solution soon.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi iRoyeaux,
In addition to Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Support enabled, do you adjust other settings in bios or all default settings except Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Support?
Please also update Intel ME v15.0.35.1951 from our support site.
If pcie tunneling still shows disabled, may I have the serial numbers of your motherboard and graphics card via pm?
Please also help to provide the specific ram model like F4-4000C18Q-128GTRS.
Thank you.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi iRoyeaux,
In addition to Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Support enabled, do you adjust other settings in bios or all default settings except Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Support?
Please also update Intel ME v15.0.35.1951 from our support site.
If pcie tunneling still shows disabled, may I have the serial numbers of your motherboard and graphics card via pm?
Please also help to provide the specific ram model like F4-4000C18Q-128GTRS.
Thank you.
Thank you.

I have sent you the information you requested.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi iRoyeaux,
Thank you for your reply.
May I double confirm you have tried updating Intel ME v15.0.35.1951?
I cannot find the info of the motherboard serial number you provided in pm. Not sure if there is any typo. Could you please help to share me photo of the serial number sticker label in pm for further checking?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi iRoyeaux,
Thank you for your reply.
May I double confirm you have tried updating Intel ME v15.0.35.1951?
I cannot find the info of the motherboard serial number you provided in pm. Not sure if there is any typo. Could you please help to share me photo of the serial number sticker label in pm for further checking?
Thank you.

So sorry about that, I did reply via PM and sent you a screenshot of the mobo serial number, and yes Intel Me is up-to-date.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi iRoyeaux,
I've seen the screenshot and will consult our tech team more about it.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi iRoyeaux,
I've seen the screenshot and will consult our tech team more about it.
Thank you.

No, thank you. Hopefully a solution will come from this and we will be able to share it with the community. It's amazing the amount of people experiencing this issue. You would think Asus would've already addressed and solved this problem by now.