cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix Z590-A Gaming Wifi & Thunderboltex 4 ISSUES!!!

iRoyeaux
Level 7
Hello all! The problem I am suffering is my Thunderboltex 4 REFUSES to work correctly. I have installed all the correct drivers (Version 1.41.1193.0) and the recent firmware (Version 1.1) for the Thunderboltex4 via Asus at: https://www.asus.com/US/supportonly/ThunderboltEX%204/HelpDesk_BIOS/ . One of my key issues is displayed on the Thunderbolt Control Center, under the about menu it says "Pcie Tunneling: Disabled"(can be enabled in bios.) After thoroughly checking my bios there is no option to enable Pcie Tunneling. I don't know how I would otherwise enable this setting in the Bios. I'm hoping that if I can successfully enable this setting my Thunderboltex 4 will begin working correctly. Please someone assist me with unlocking this hidden setting in my Bios or provide me with some kind of workaround, PLEASE!!! I have already opened a case with Asus regarding this issue but decided to be proactive and reach out to the community.

Specs:
OS Edition: Windows 11 Pro
OS Version:22H2
OS Build: 22621.674
Motherboard: ROG Strix Z590-A Gaming Wifi
BIOS Version: 1402
CPU: Core i9 11900k
Memory: 128GB G.Skill Trident-Z Royals
PCIE Slot 1: ROG Strix RTX 3090 24GB White Edition OC
PCIE Slot 2: Thunderboltex 4
PCIE Slot 3: Wireless 5808e Gobi(TM) 4G LTE Mobile Broadband Card
PCIE Slot 4: Alcorlink SDXC Card Reader
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1600G+

Thank you again! If any additional information is required please don't hesitate to request it, I will respond as soon as I can.
26 REPLIES 26

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi iRoyeaux,
Sorry for late reply.
After consult our tech team, thunderboltEX 4 card should be installed in PCIEX4 slot. PCIE tunneling will be enabled after insert thunderbolt portable SSD.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi iRoyeaux,
Sorry for late reply.
After consult our tech team, thunderboltEX 4 card should be installed in PCIEX4 slot. PCIE tunneling will be enabled after insert thunderbolt portable SSD.
Thank you.

Okay, so its already in PCIE slot 4, what other thunderbolt/BIOS settings need to be enabled & disabled to trigger pcie tunneling to enable? Also what do you mean by "after thunderbolt portable SSD"?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi iRoyeaux,
I meant PCIEx4 slot but not PCIE slot 4.
It seems there is no other settings should be changed in bios.
Do you connect any devices to thunderboltEX 4 card when you see PCIE tunneling is disabled?
May I know what devices you connecting to thunderboltEX 4 card?
Thank you.

Pedro_Sanchez
Level 7
iRoyeaux wrote:
Hello all! The problem I am suffering is my Thunderboltex 4 REFUSES to work correctly. I have installed all the correct drivers (Version 1.41.1193.0) and the recent firmware (Version 1.1) for the Thunderboltex4 via Asus at: https://www.asus.com/US/supportonly/ThunderboltEX%204/HelpDesk_BIOS/ . One of my key issues is displayed on the Thunderbolt Control Center, under the about menu it says "Pcie Tunneling: Disabled"(can be enabled in bios.) After thoroughly checking my bios there is no option to enable Pcie Tunneling. I don't know how I would otherwise enable this setting in the Bios. I'm hoping that if I can successfully enable this setting my Thunderboltex 4 will begin working correctly. Please someone assist me with unlocking this hidden setting in my Bios or provide me with some kind of workaround, PLEASE!!! I have already opened a case with Asus regarding this issue but decided to be proactive and reach out to the community.

Specs:

Thank you again! If any additional information is required please don't hesitate to request it, I will respond as soon as I can.

Hello, I got same issue, exactly same. If you found a fix or solution please share, ill do same thing. Thank you

Pedro_Sanchez
Level 7
iRoyeaux wrote:

Specs:

Hello, where you stated " and the recent firmware (Version 1.1) for the Thunderboltex4 " How did you get it to work? When I follow the POOR instructions where it says:

pdate step

1.Please extract the TBTFwUpdateToolEfi V1.1 file and copy is to a USB Drive.
* I did, formatede a USB flash and extracted there, they dont specify if needs a bootable flash drive or no 😞

2.insert USB Drive on motherboard

Did that...

3.press the [Power key] then press and hold the [F2] into BIOS setup meun

Computer shutsdown

4.Click[Advanced mode]

Did that with my own way to get to that menu 🙂

5.Select [Exit] and [Launch EFI Shell from USB drive] into shell mode for update process

Did that, nothing happens, loads windows normal

Please share your fix, Thank you

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, Pedro Sanchez.

Could you help to confirm the model name of your motherboard and the current BIOS version?
May I ask what format you used to format the USB?
If possible, I suggest you try to cross-test with another USB to see if it can be successfully installed.

Thank you.
Due to the ongoing regional holidays, my responses may be slightly delayed.
Thank you in advance for your patience.‌‌‌‌ 🙂

adzpana
Level 7

I have the exact same motherboard using the ThunderboltEX4 AIC. Though I do believe your issue is the pci slot layout. The only slot is the X4 slot running through the chipset which is what the Thunderbolt card needs. Slots 1,2 & 4 all go to the CPU.