cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix Z590-A Gaming Wifi & Thunderboltex 4 ISSUES!!!

iRoyeaux
Level 7
Hello all! The problem I am suffering is my Thunderboltex 4 REFUSES to work correctly. I have installed all the correct drivers (Version 1.41.1193.0) and the recent firmware (Version 1.1) for the Thunderboltex4 via Asus at: https://www.asus.com/US/supportonly/ThunderboltEX%204/HelpDesk_BIOS/ . One of my key issues is displayed on the Thunderbolt Control Center, under the about menu it says "Pcie Tunneling: Disabled"(can be enabled in bios.) After thoroughly checking my bios there is no option to enable Pcie Tunneling. I don't know how I would otherwise enable this setting in the Bios. I'm hoping that if I can successfully enable this setting my Thunderboltex 4 will begin working correctly. Please someone assist me with unlocking this hidden setting in my Bios or provide me with some kind of workaround, PLEASE!!! I have already opened a case with Asus regarding this issue but decided to be proactive and reach out to the community.

Specs:
OS Edition: Windows 11 Pro
OS Version:22H2
OS Build: 22621.674
Motherboard: ROG Strix Z590-A Gaming Wifi
BIOS Version: 1402
CPU: Core i9 11900k
Memory: 128GB G.Skill Trident-Z Royals
PCIE Slot 1: ROG Strix RTX 3090 24GB White Edition OC
PCIE Slot 2: Thunderboltex 4
PCIE Slot 3: Wireless 5808e Gobi(TM) 4G LTE Mobile Broadband Card
PCIE Slot 4: Alcorlink SDXC Card Reader
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1600G+

Thank you again! If any additional information is required please don't hesitate to request it, I will respond as soon as I can.
26 REPLIES 26

SuddenSaturn
Level 8
I lost weeks of time trying to change every single setting, reboot, reconnect, etc. nothing... No matter what I did, I couldn't get PCIE tunneling to show.

Eventually changed PCI Slots and all of a sudden it started working. I wish I had a better answer than that, but from what I can tell, no amount of fiddling setting was ever going to make it work, even though I was using the bottom slot closest to the TB4 header as per some of the documentation. I know that the card was correctly seated in the original slot because Windows Device manager could actually see the card (just like yours) and I removed/reset the card multiple times before ultimately moving it up 1 slot.

Nick

SuddenSaturn
Level 8
Some additional things to try/troubleshoot that I always look at if I see issues after updating drivers, etc. I don't know why any specific item would interact with ThunderboltEx4

*) Remove any memory overclocks for a moment.
*) Make sure you're set to Windows Secure Boot in the Bios
*) I used Single Root Virtualization
*) Turn off Fast Boot
*) In the Thunderbolt section if you're using WIndows 11, turn OFF the win10 support
*) Enable the GNA module
*) I turned on PowerManagement and Hot Plug for the media controller.

Save & Exit, then shutdown to turn the machine FULLY off.
Turn the machine fully off, Plug in the TB devices, then power up from an OFF state.

SuddenSaturn wrote:
Some additional things to try/troubleshoot that I always look at if I see issues after updating drivers, etc. I don't know why any specific item would interact with ThunderboltEx4

*) Remove any memory overclocks for a moment.
*) Make sure you're set to Windows Secure Boot in the Bios
*) I used Single Root Virtualization
*) Turn off Fast Boot
*) In the Thunderbolt section if you're using WIndows 11, turn OFF the win10 support
*) Enable the GNA module
*) I turned on PowerManagement and Hot Plug for the media controller.

Save & Exit, then shutdown to turn the machine FULLY off.
Turn the machine fully off, Plug in the TB devices, then power up from an OFF state.

Okay I set my settings exactly as yours EXCEPT for the last one. I dont know how to enable PowerManagement and HotPlug for the media controller. Would you be so kind as to provide me with instructions for enabling those settings? Everything else is exactly as you have recommended.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi iRoyeaux and SuddenSaturn,
Do you enable Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Support in bios?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi iRoyeaux and SuddenSaturn,
Do you enable Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Support in bios?
Thank you.

Yes, I have definitely have the Discrete Thunderbolt enabled it the BIOS.

SuddenSaturn
Level 8
In my experience, yes, Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Support needs to be on.
I wish I knew exactly what setting caused it to start working. I went through turning ON/UP all of the Windows security options as well as changing the BIOS settings above.

Here's an image of what the control center looks like when working.
Note that I didn't have to do anything inside of the control center software itself, it was some combination of windows settings + BIOS settings + PCIE Slot change that unlocked PCIE tunneling.

SuddenSaturn wrote:
In my experience, yes, Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Support needs to be on.
I wish I knew exactly what setting caused it to start working. I went through turning ON/UP all of the Windows security options as well as changing the BIOS settings above.

Here's an image of what the control center looks like when working.
Note that I didn't have to do anything inside of the control center software itself, it was some combination of windows settings + BIOS settings + PCIE Slot change that unlocked PCIE tunneling.

You said you went through turning on/up all of the Windows security options... What do you mean by that? Where can I find the respective security options for Windows? I am guessing those security options are the Windows settings you mean will unlock PCIE tunneling when combined with the BIOS settings and PCIE slot change.... Also do I need to have any specific settings enabled/disabled under the Power management settings in the BIOS for ASPM, DMI, etc...?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi iRoyeaux,
Could you please help to check if the Thunderboltex 4 card in other PCIE slot, does it also show disabled?
like exchange PCIEX16_2 and PCIEX16_3 or only install graphics card and Thunderboltex 4 card in PCIEX16_2 or PCIEX16_3
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi iRoyeaux,
Could you please help to check if the Thunderboltex 4 card in other PCIE slot, does it also show disabled?
like exchange PCIEX16_2 and PCIEX16_3 or only install graphics card and Thunderboltex 4 card in PCIEX16_2 or PCIEX16_3
Thank you.

I finally got around to changing the pcie slot the thunderboltex 4 was seated in, however no matter what slot i put it in, it still would not enable pcie tunneling. Any ideas?