cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix X670E-E wired network problem on Win11 (driver issue?)

shokwavxb
Level 7
I just put together a new Windows 11 system based on the Rog Strix X670E-E Gaming motherboard. I have been troubleshooting a wired network problem this week. In short, the Intel Ethernet i225-V (rev3) drivers (1.0.2.14 and 1.1.3.28) do not work well on transmit/upload traffic across the Internet for me (weirdly, internal home network file transfers work fine).

I've tested the same physical cabling with multiple other systems and they work fine (Windows 11 also but different wired NICs).

Running the same network speed and copy tests when booted from a Ubuntu live USB shows no problems.

During the Win11 build I didn't notice a problem as I was mostly just downloading apps/drivers. When I started gaming (MSFS/PUBG/DCS) and transferring files up to Google Drive I noticed the network on transmit would fall off to almost nothing. This was confirmed with speed test runs as well.

At least the WiFi connectivity works great, but I have a wired connection and I want to be able to use it.

My next step is try to flip through more Intel I225-V Win11 drivers in search of a fix. Anyone run into something similar on these Intel I225-V NICs?
29 REPLIES 29

Updated my drivers as above but that didn't resolve the issue. Couldn't find the 2.1.1.7 drivers to try them. So forget the speed test. In real world use, my wired NIC is just bad. With it enabled, MSFS cannot complete loading and file copies up to Google Drive do not work. The file copies work fine when booted from an Ubuntu Live USB drive.

Bison963 wrote:
I have an i225-V (rev3), I use the driver directly from Intel version 2.1.1.7, of all the ones I tried it works the best.

can you link me to 2.1.1.7 driver that you installed, thank you

This is still a problem. Updated drivers as laid out in this thread are not helpful so far. (I'm amazed at the problems I see with the i225-v on Asus MB dating back two years ago and it's still a problem)

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi shokwavxb,
Does the issue also occur on bios 0705 with bios all default settings(no OC) and Intel LAN Driver V1.0.2.14?
Does it occur every time you start games and upload files to google drive?
Have you tried with other router and ISP lines?
Thank you.

BIOS is on 0705 and I've tried so many different drivers including the latest from Intel itself and the ones listed in this thread. I have not begun to OC yet. I even have memory timings set lower than their advertised timings/freq just to keep the system stable.

This issue happens 99.9% of the time I launch MSFS or try to file copy to Google Drive. PUBG kindof works but is super sluggish with the wired NIC. Going to the wireless NIC fixes all this. I found something weird for that other 0.1% of the time where I've updated the driver, re-enabled the NIC in Win11 then tested. It would work find that 0.1% of the time but on a reboot it would not work again.

I have moved the cable to multiple routers and directly to my FIOS router. I also brought in other Win11 systems and Linux systems in my house and plugged into the
exact same physical wire from the x670e. They all work fine. As I indicated above, using the same system and booting with a current Ubuntu Live USB stick instead of into Win11, I can do file transfers and perf testing fine using the same built-in Intel i225-v NIC. So I think its a driver problem. But who knows, I've noticed so many problems with the Intel i225-v in other forums (including here).

I have an AIB wired NIC coming in today to put in the avail PCIe slot. If that works and there is no other solution from ASUS, I will be looking to return this motherboard.

[UPDATE] I put in the AIB Realtek card and this NIC works fine. There is something wrong with my Intel i225-v on the Asus x6700E-E Gaming with either the physical port (which doesn't seem likely since running under Ubuntu it works fine) or the driver/firmware (which I have not found one working correctly yet.

I put it in the AIB Realtek card and uploads work great. There is something wrong with my Intel i225-v on the Asus x6700E-E Gaming with either the physical port (which doesn't seem likely since running under Ubuntu it works fine) or the driver/firmware (which I have not found one working correctly yet.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi shokwavxb,
May I double confirm even though all bios settings are default you still have the same issue?
Is the key point of 0.1% you mentioned is to re-enabled the NIC in Win11 advanced network settings but not the specific NIC driver version?
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of the motherboard via pm
- the brand and model name of your CPU, graphics card, ram, PSU, and OS drive
(Please check the specific model name of ram such as G.SKILL F4-4600C18D-16GTRG.)
- graphics driver version
- router model name and the firmware version
- OS version and OS build
- a video of the issue in game and google drive transferring files
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi shokwavxb,
May I double confirm even though all bios settings are default you still have the same issue?
Is the key point of 0.1% you mentioned is to re-enabled the NIC in Win11 advanced network settings but not the specific NIC driver version?
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of the motherboard via pm
- the brand and model name of your CPU, graphics card, ram, PSU, and OS drive
(Please check the specific model name of ram such as G.SKILL F4-4600C18D-16GTRG.)
- graphics driver version
- router model name and the firmware version
- OS version and OS build
- a video of the issue in game and google drive transferring files
Thank you.

Did you try the Intel prescribed fix?Â*
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057261/ethernet-products/gigabit-etherne...

Tsikos
Level 10
I have also big problem with the same board latest bios installed and i have windows 11 22H2, my ethernet adapter i225-V (rev3) disabled after some time and when i use the on board wifi also disabled after 10-20min and must reboot the system every time!!!!

Sounds like a bad motherboard from the get go? I have the same board but no problems at all with my ethernet. The most annoying problems I have right now are the slow 1 minute post and my cpu cooler not quite beefy enough to keep it fully cooled... next paycheck..

FWIW, I have the Intel Ethernet Controller I225-V with the Intel driver, 3/5/2022 version 1.1.3.28

Dunno if any of that helps?