cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming Wifi Coil whine issue

The_Rawi
Level 7
Hi,

I have this motherboard just installed and I've noticed there is a coil whine coming from around the CPU area. My guess is that it's from the VRM capacitors.
The sound is more audible during Windows booting process.

Here is the sound I've recorded
https://voca.ro/1bg9uZ4ad4lf

Can anyone tell me if this is normal
18 REPLIES 18

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, The Rawi.

May I ask if this sound will only occur in a specific situation, or will it appear whenever it boots on?
Could you please provide the current BIOS version used and the content of the setting in BIOS?
Please reset the BOIS to its default configuration if you have any overclocking settings in order to see if the sound may be mitigated.
[Motherboard/Desktop] How to restore BIOS setting? >> https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1030210/

Apart from the sound, is there any abnormality in the use? For example, a blue screen appears.

Thank you.

Hi Jiaszzz,

Thanks for the reply.
I've already tried to reset the BIOS to its default settings but the sound is still there.
I did update the bios and now using Version 0805 with the default settings.

I have not noticed any abnormality in the computer so far. It's just this sound that's annoying. The sound is continuous all the time is there even if PC is idling.
What I have noticed is that whenever I keep moving the mouse quickly on the desktop, the sound disappears. The sound, however, returns as soon as I stop moving the mouse. This is so weird. Could it be that it disappears because the CPU is going under load whenever the mouse moves quickly? I've watched CPU utilization under task manager goes up whenever keep moving the mouse fast.

Is it only my motherboard or is it just normal that these motherboards have that electric buzz issue?
I've read somewhere that some people got theirs fixed by Acoustic Management Options but I don't have this option listed anywhere in the BIOS.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, The Rawi.

From your description, it's quite difficult to tell whether the sound is a "CPU coil whine sound."
It is recommended that you keep observing to see if there are any other irregularities other than the sound.

Thank you.

Hi,

I have the same issue, but for ROG Strix X670E-F + 7900X. Noise boosts when OS is fully booted. I did try with a different PSU with no luck. It's not a GPU as I'm currently using only iGPU. I also noticed that my motherboard does not like cooperating with Ryzen Master. Whenever I try to apply some changes via Ryzen Master, PC does not boot. Q-LED stops at red light which indicates CPU issue. Other times Windows was crushing with no reason and this was happening till I reset BIOS settings to default one.

Sadly, seems that multiple owners have the same issue. In many cases, the motherboard manufacture date is 11/2022.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, fezz86.

As you mentioned, the problem will be solved after the default BIOS.
May I ask what your BIOS version is? Could you share the BIOS settings you have manually set?*
as well as the brand and model name of the CPU, DRAM, GPU, and PSU currently installed.

Thank you.

I have the exact same problem with the same motherboard. Very high-pitch whine. I updated the bios to version 1101, but that did not help. Is there a solution?

Hello,

Have you tried adjusting the VRM Switching Frequency in UEFI? Use the search function from the top right if you're unable to find it. This setting can sometimes help with low level piezoelectric noise.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I'll try it, what should I set it to?

I tried both the minimum and maximum values for the VRM switching frequency and that did not help. There is still a constant, high-pitched ringing sound.