cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX X570-E Gaming, error Q-code displays 0d and Q-LED for DRAM ligths up

Simplex
Level 7
I have a new build computer with the following hard ware…..

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
BIOS: Version 1408
CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X
RAM: G.Skill Trident F4-3200C14D-32GTZR
(Kingston KVR24E17S8/8)
GPU: 2XNvidia GTX1070

M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus
M.2 Samsung 860 EVO

The problem is that when I try to start the computer I end up with a black screen.
The motherboard Q-code displays 0d which according to the manual stands for ”Reserver for future AMI SEC codes” and the Q-LED for DRAM ligths up with a steady light.

I have reset the CMOS and tried with a different memmory but I still get the same error.

Any ideas on what might cause this problem and what to do next?
26 REPLIES 26

daverx7
Level 7
Simplex wrote:
I have a new build computer with the following hard ware…..

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
BIOS: Version 1408
CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X
RAM: G.Skill Trident F4-3200C14D-32GTZR
(Kingston KVR24E17S8/8)
GPU: 2XNvidia GTX1070

M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus
M.2 Samsung 860 EVO

The problem is that when I try to start the computer I end up with a black screen.
The motherboard Q-code displays 0d which according to the manual stands for ”Reserver for future AMI SEC codes” and the Q-LED for DRAM ligths up with a steady light.

I have reset the CMOS and tried with a different memmory but I still get the same error.

Any ideas on what might cause this problem and what to do next?

I'm getting the same 0D error with the same MB with the latest version of the bios, and fully reset (battery removal and short the reset pins... and from within the BIOS)....

But, I have the 3900X and G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC kit (in the QVL). It will work with one DRAM sticks and will work with the other G.Skill DRAM stick in the furthest slot from the CPU. I tried another set of DRAM sticks Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400 speed. If I have any DRAM in the 1st and 2nd slot (from the CPU) it generates 0D as well. I used compressed air to clear out the DRAM slots and it still fails, except when using 1 stick in the slot furthest from the CPU.

This system worked with all the same equipment except with the 2700X and 3700X CPU's, but as soon as I put in the 3900X, it does the OD. So, I swapped the 3700X back in, and it worked.... as expected. I just got a new 3900X and it does the same 0D. So, I'm now leaning towards the BIOS or motherboard.

Oh... the PSU is Cosair RM750x, and GPU is EVGA GTX1080ti.

I'll create another thread with this info, but I wanted to let you know that you weren't alone. 🙂

Thanks,

-Dave

With my motherboard having something similar going on, ASUS determined that it was necessary to send me a replacement, and so far it looks like all is working great. I'll put it through some stress testing this weekend.

-Dave

I'm having the same issue with my x570-e board - purchased 25/05/2020 in Australia.

x570-e
3900x
G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GVKC - 2x8GB

system failed to post on first boot with q-code '0d'.
after shuffling dimms around and various other troubleshooting steps i got the board to post in dual channel.
ran ok for while, but when the PC was put to sleep after completing a ~16hr x265 encode it failed to boot back up with same error.
more shuffling dimms, cmos clears, re-seating etc and updating the bios with 2 dimms in A-Channel slots and the board posted again in dual channel mode.
a few hours later it hard crashed a few minutes after a short x265 encode, and once again was unable to post.

The A-Channel slots alway work fine, but when the board is in this failed state it will not post with a dimm (tried 3 different kits) in the B-Channel slots.

I replaced the board with a B450 Tomahawk Max and it has been running 24/7 for nearly 2 weeks with the same CPU and RAM without a single issue.

I sent the board back to place of purchase but they have been unable to replicate the issue - though they are testing it with a 2600.

It is reassuring that i'm not the only one and hopefully this thread will be enough to convince the store/asus to replace the board despite not being able to replicate the issue.

maybe have poke around on
https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/

and see if there has been beta BIOS realised by shamino1978 (one of the asus bios guys or maybe the one)

Quick update on the status of my board return.
Following a lengthy back and forth after the store was unable to replicate the fault when testing the board with a 2600, I convinced them to test with a 3900x.
I got a screenshot from them yesterday showing the board running with a 3900x in dual channel.
Buy today they informed me they have found the board to be faulty - 'Unable to Post in Dual Channel'.

So it would appear that this fault can be permanent or intermittent.

I'm having this exact problem. What was the solution for you guys? Replace the motherboard?

Hawox wrote:
I'm having this exact problem. What was the solution for you guys? Replace the motherboard?

This may be anecdotal but when I got the 0d code last year on my x570-E, it turned out to by something wacky with my displayport cable/ports. It had previously run just fine but one day wouldn't boot and displayed the code. I unplugged everything and only reconnected my gpu output to my TV using HDMI and got it to boot properly. Then I powered down and reconnected everything back including the displayport cable for my monitor and everything has been fine since.

daverx7 wrote:
With my motherboard having something similar going on, ASUS determined that it was necessary to send me a replacement, and so far it looks like all is working great. I'll put it through some stress testing this weekend.

-Dave

Hi Dave I have the exact same problem as you. Is your problem resolved with your new replacement motherboard? I have the same problem with these ram kits: F4-3600C16D-32GTZN
& F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR. I don't know what to do anymore, I'm tired ...

Motherboard: ASUS Rog Strix X570-E

Processor: AMD RYZEN 5 3600XT

Thank you for your answers. Best regards.

Subzerooo- wrote:
Hi Dave I have the exact same problem as you. Is your problem resolved with your new replacement motherboard? I have the same problem with these ram kits: F4-3600C16D-32GTZN
& F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR. I don't know what to do anymore, I'm tired ...

Motherboard: ASUS Rog Strix X570-E

Processor: AMD RYZEN 5 3600XT

Thank you for your answers. Best regards.

I can confirm that it would work with the 2700X and 3700X, but when I went to the 3900X, it would fail with all my RAM. I was able to get it to work with the 3900X with one stick. I contacted ASUS support, and they determined that it was a motherboard issue, and provided a RMA. They ended up giving me a replacement, and all is good for months now.

Hope this helps!

-Dave

daverx7 wrote:
I can confirm that it would work with the 2700X and 3700X, but when I went to the 3900X, it would fail with all my RAM. I was able to get it to work with the 3900X with one stick. I contacted ASUS support, and they determined that it was a motherboard issue, and provided a RMA. They ended up giving me a replacement, and all is good for months now.

Hope this helps!

-Dave

Thank you very much for your quick response. So you think I should ask for a new motherboard? My ram is optimized for AMD https://www.gskill.com/product/165/326/1562839473/F4-3600C16D-32GTZN-Overview but dont work ... What are you using as a ram? Thanks again