cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 Ti OC Edition Power Detect started red flashing

Stiel83
Level 7
Hello, i recently started to use my 3080 TI normaly, i started to use gpu tweak III stable version really soon after.
Everything worked so far, but i did not understand what was power detect, because when normally using it, i didn't notice anything to be honest. So i left it on, done stress test benchmark etc, all seems ok.
Today i noticed red flashing inside my case, all of a sudden, then i understood how it works lol.
Problem is, nothing happened, i just played some games yesterday, but everything is fine.
If i understand right, if my psu does give correct power supply to the card, then it should be a white light, but i never seen it. Instead it have a red light flashing if i turn on power detect now.
I checked the voltage on the 12v rails, but everything seems normal. on GPU-Z, 12v rails are fine.

So, i used my PC several days without issue, Power Detect always on, no red light, so everthing was fine.
Today Red Flashing started, and it keeps flashing unless i turn off Power Detect. Values are correct to me, and PC works properly i think, should check in game, but i don't think there is anything wrong about my PSU. There is anything that can be done? Maybe a bug?
4 REPLIES 4

Stiel83
Level 7
Ok so, powered off everything, for a while.
Then maked sure all cables on UPS and Power supply were inserted properly. Turn on UPS, Turn on pc, i turn on Power Detect, no more red flashing.
Actually i don't see this white light that should indicate everything is good, but at least no more red flashing warning thing.
BTW, checked whit AIDA Engineer and GPU-Z, same value on 12V rails, nothing changed seems.

Are you using power cable extensions (e.g. cablemod, etc)?

Those can affect the quality of power delivered to your GPU (perhaps because of the extra lenght?) and cause it to begin flashing red at times after running a demanding game. Once it starts flashing red it won't stop until you power off your system and disconnect it from the wall.

I know because at one point I was running my Strix 3090 OC with two direct cablemod PCI-E cables and one cablemod PCI-E extension connected to an original PSU cable. After playing a game like Doom Eternal for a while the connector with the extension cable (and only that one) would sometimes begin flashing red.

This said, I think the power sensors on the Strix cards might just be too sensitive - nothing bad ever happened (but then again, perhaps because only the connector with the extension cable had issues with power quality while the other two were always ok).

JcRabbit wrote:
Are you using power cable extensions (e.g. cablemod, etc)?

Those can affect the quality of power delivered to your GPU (perhaps because of the extra lenght?) and cause it to begin flashing red at times after running a demanding game. Once it starts flashing red it won't stop until you power off your system and disconnect it from the wall.

I know because at one point I was running my Strix 3090 OC with two direct cablemod PCI-E cables and one cablemod PCI-E extension connected to an original PSU cable. After playing a game like Doom Eternal for a while the connector with the extension cable (and only that one) would sometimes begin flashing red.

This said, I think the power sensors on the Strix cards might just be too sensitive - nothing bad ever happened (but then again, perhaps because only the connector with the extension cable had issues with power quality while the other two were always ok).

This. I don't use extension, i use original sleeved cable from bequiet!, single cable from psu to the card, so 3 single sleeved cable, that's what i use. maybe with hot temps, something happened, anyway, never happened again, so who knows. Next time when i change my ssd, so i have to get graphic card out, i will make sure connectors are inserted properly and stable.
In any case, tensions and parameters were good, so i guess fake alarm.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Stiel83,
Please shutdown the pc and turn of the power to check the following items.
- reinsert the flashing connector to check if the power connector is connected properly.
- check the quality of the adapter cable and make sure the adapter cable is properly connected to the original cable by reinserting the cable of the flashing connector or removing the adapter cable
If the flashing light condition mostly occurs when running 3D games, please replace the PSU, or the power cable will be connected to a single one.
If you have checked all of them and there is no issue, there is an option in GPU Tweak to turn off the warning function.
Thank you.