cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog strix g713qr serious wifi card problem (mediatek mt7921)

unplugged_
Level 8
Hello everyone!

I was finally able to get my hands on the RTX3070 G17 which was out of stock forever. Let me be clear, this laptop is a beast and I love the build quality very much! But the only problem that I have is the Mediatek MT7921 Wi-Fi 6 card used in this and all the other latest ASUS laptops. This card has some serious problems.

I have a dual-band Wifi router (Not Wifi 6) with a 50Mbps connection. When I connect to the 5Ghz network, I am only getting 10-16Mbps download speed while I get the full 50Mbps upload speed. And don't even ask about the 2.4Ghz network. It drops down even further. On my old laptop, I am getting the full speed from the same distance so this is definitely a card issue.

After digging around a bit and spending a lot of hours being frustrated, trying to solve this problem, turns out this might be a serious hardware level/ driver issue with the Wifi card used in this laptop and all the other latest ASUS laptops that has Wifi 6 and the only permanent fix is swapping out the Wifi card. You may or may not have this problem as this seems to be a very scattered issue.

Has anyone else faced the same issue that I am facing? I am very frustrated. I have tried the following from the limited troubleshoots currently available online for this specific issue:
1) Updated my WIFI driver to 3.0.1.1133
2) Tried switching from 802.11ax to 802.11ac from the network adapter settings. This seems to temporarily fix the problem but then it comes back.
3) Played around with Ipv4/Ipv6. This is also another temporary fix.

Nothing seems to permanently fix the problem. Mind you I didn't have this problem for almost 2 weeks before it just showed up. I noticed that it sometimes fixes itself on its own but then it comes back again.

Reddit has suggested swapping out the wifi card with an Intel AX200 but since the laptop is brand new, I don't wanna void its warranty, and hence I have called Asus and they would be sending someone to have a look.

Was very excited to enjoy this beast but now I am just frustrated. If anyone has any solution other that the ones I have mentioned above, please so let me know!
9 REPLIES 9

joetong
Level 7
Try search "MediaTek WiFi/Bluetooth" inside the forum.
There is a new 1167 driver there, you can try this.

- MediaTek WiFi Drivers (Drivers Only) :
Drivers : 3.0.1.1167 WHQL [09/07/2021]

joetong wrote:
Try search "MediaTek WiFi/Bluetooth" inside the forum.
There is a new 1167 driver there, you can try this.

- MediaTek WiFi Drivers (Drivers Only) :
Drivers : 3.0.1.1167 WHQL [09/07/2021]

Thanks, this specific driver version had partially fixed the issu. But to fully fix it, I have to turn off Bluetooth while using wifi.

Just got the G713qr a couple days ago. I also seem to be having issues with my wifi card.

The first time I booted it up, during the initial setup I couldn't connect to either of my wifi networks. It detected them, but after I inputted the passwords it would simply say something like "unable to connect". So I did the initial setup without wifi and then restarted the computer. Once I restarted the wifi was able to connect.

The other issue is the weak connection. I am using this laptop in the same place as my old G751JY, but I am getting a much weaker signal apparently. Most of the time I only have the one dot in the wifi signal indicator. I also get disconnected often, which makes it a pain in the ass if I'm gonna be playing online games. I have the newest drivers and BIOS, so I'm not sure how to proceed. Is this a driver issue or a hardware issue?

Did ASUS end up sending someone to look at your laptop?

Blake1
Level 10
Hi there,
Does update Asus MultiAntenna Service to V3.1.3 help?
https://rog.asus.com/laptops/rog-strix/2021-rog-strix-g17-series/helpdesk_download
Thank you.

Blake1
Level 10
Hello wifisucks,
There are quite a few things to check,
What is your BIOS, wifi driver, and Asus MultiAntenna Service version?
If you cancel the password of the wifi, does it make it easier to connect?
Thank you.

Blake@ROG wrote:
Hello wifisucks,
There are quite a few things to check,
What is your BIOS, wifi driver, and Asus MultiAntenna Service version?
If you cancel the password of the wifi, does it make it easier to connect?
Thank you.

BIOS: 323
Wifi: I've used the newest official one provided by ASUS V3.00.01.1100 and also the newest one I've found on this forum 3.2.0.192. There is no difference, both have very poor performance.
Asus MultiAntenna: 3.1.3

I haven't considered removing the password from my wifi and would prefer not to. I don't think that's the issue and I don't think that's a practical solution. I think the issue is in the laptop's wifi card and/or drivers, not the network/router that works fine with every other device including my 4+ year old Asus G751JY laptop 😕

Should I try other drivers or should I simply contact Asus and try to get the wifi card replaced? If there are other drivers I would prefer if they were from official sources as all the ones I've been finding are from fairly random websites and individuals.

Blake1
Level 10
Hi there,
Please give it a try to remove the wifi password.
Thank you.

This card is problematic i ve fixed down up via driver but can't make a healthy miracast or widi connection, waiting fix in another thread ?

I also had a long fight with unstable wi-fi connection and ping. I've tried many complicated stuff. But solution in my case was really simple. After I switched off WiFi SmartConnect at MyAsus, wifi works as it should and ping is stable.