cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX G15 G513QY - significant FPS drops under Turbo mode

destroyerpl
Level 7
Hi Guys,

This is my first post on the forum so I'm really sorry if i make some mistakes.

I would like to know if you suffer an issue with FPS drops under Turbo mode or manual mode with high APU/Platform watt values?

My laptop is not suffering random reboots or any crushes but it shows drops on FPS on all games every 10-15s under high load, especially on Cyberpunk or Doom Eternal (from around 60 to 15FPS) .This is strange that 3D Mark works perfect with those.

I was thinking that's CPU throtling because CPU has around 95C-97C when drops occuring however on manual mode but with lower values like APU 55W/Platform 190W CPU has the same temperatures but there are no FPS drops. I've realized that problem is not a GPU but CPU power system or whole computer power system.
I can monitor temps/power/frequencies etc. easily in real time because I'm using MSI Afterburner visible on Logitech keyboard LCD and during FPS drop frequencies of graphic card and CPU are decreasing to around 400Mhz both so it exaplains why drops exists, that's the performance of the computer on that speed but why it's happening?
If computer is not able to work on such frequencies on Turbo mode it should not be possible to turn on such mode and laptop should not be advertised that's possible to perform like that.

I'm really dissapointed due this fact that computer costs currently in Poland around 1800-1900$ is performing like that, I was not checked enough reviewes of it and i'm angry on myself that I've not bought the same Asus but with RTX3070 which was around 100$ more expensive....I've bought G513QY because it had to perform similarly or a bit better than RTX 3070.

I will call support tomorrow and will push it for RMA because this is unacceptable that is working like that.

\\UPDATE\\
Ive checked using Ryzen Controller that's nothing more than thermal problem, when CPU is no hotter than around 95C there are no drops, so that's a thermal throttling to keep the temp. Ive checked that on Turbo mode and everything works untill around 95C which could be truly more because sometimes those measurements are not so precise. That's my opinion.

\\UPDATE 2\\
It has to be related to Power as well, i saw drops on 88C as well but later than on 95C.

Basic info:
Computer series started from M7
Latest AMD drivers - 21.12.1
Bios - 316
Latest VGA firmware from december - AMD_VBIOS_86018_9011_G513QY_G713QY
20 REPLIES 20

I did a fresh install of windows and that solved the problem but then i decided to install armoury crate again. After the install it caused the problem again and i cant ger rid of it even with clean windows install

Robert_WK
Level 7
I'm getting the same studders, and this happened just recently. I figure it probably has to do with some bogus armoury crate update, or that the AC might just be a terrible all around. I've been reading up on it and the consensus is that it's trash.

Do you have Aura Wallpaper? Even disabled it was causing system interrupts for me, ditched it all.

To rule out temperatures, create a custom profile, sliders all maxed out, fan curves for CPU and the GPU page at 100% across the board, see how it runs.

Is it only turbo it happens?

For whatever reason, custom you can crank the fans to nearly 7000RPM, the other modes, they are limited to 5400RPM... so especially in hot ambient it could throttle.

I created some custom fan curves that ramp up to full while gaming and idle nicely, but for troubleshooting purposes make sure its clean of dust and (internally too) and throttle up like I described above.

Greeno wrote:
Do you have Aura Wallpaper? Even disabled it was causing system interrupts for me, ditched it all.

To rule out temperatures, create a custom profile, sliders all maxed out, fan curves for CPU and the GPU page at 100% across the board, see how it runs.

Is it only turbo it happens?

For whatever reason, custom you can crank the fans to nearly 7000RPM, the other modes, they are limited to 5400RPM... so especially in hot ambient it could throttle.

I created some custom fan curves that ramp up to full while gaming and idle nicely, but for troubleshooting purposes make sure its clean of dust and (internally too) and throttle up like I described above.

Yes, with fans at 100% this doesn't happen.
I have identified that when GPU reaches 87 C it starts with the stuttering... so it seems bo the throttlijng associated. Still, proper thermal throttling shouldn't work this way

So everyone at Asus is just gonna ignore this?

Please help

So what does it take for ASUS to actually review this?

There's a clear issue related to throttling or power control here, please help
best

Hello darkness my old friend

COME ON ASUS, can you give us a proper answer?!

Hey all, hey Asus. I have the same issue with factory new laptop. Pls help
vbios 86018
win 11
all actual drivers from site, MyAsus confirmed

Here is how it looks like in real world example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um6-XM84rHw&ab_channel=Viper

nicola_ruglio
Level 8
Same problem here with Asus ROG zephyrus s17 GX703HS, i want to change thermal pads and thermal paste from GPU but i will lose warrancy. The problem is they have really bad reputation in my country (Italy) about assistance so i am scared to waste 3 weeks in assistance to have back exactly the same laptop without any changes, plus the worry to left the laptop at one courier. It is a 3900 euro laptop. I hope it will be a software fix from throttling. Please answer and don't ignore

nicola_ruglio
Level 8
I guess the problem is the new drivers of Nvidia GPU setted max temp at 86° so it starts to throttle when GPU reach 99% / 100% usage and with the poor fabric thermal paste from Asus on the GPU (CPU with metal liquid paste look fine) make this ugly and unplayable effect showed on video in most of the games that require a lot of work from GPU, i am pretty sure before Nvidia 4000 series drivers were realeased the max temp was setted at 92/93°. So the question is: There is a way to increase the max temp of GPU?

I am scared because now it is winter and GPU reach super fast the cap of 86°, in summer my laptop will explode

Another feedback is the MUX switch not always put the CPU at 3200MHZ but sometimes (most of the time) left the CPU at 4200MHZ, i had to reduce CPU usage from Manual of Armoury Crate and ofc MUX still have problem when it is setted as automatic and can't switch from Optimus and GPU nvidia only if i have Asus ROG delta S headphones plugged in. All the machine look and actually it is, kinda bug

Sorry for the bad english