cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME USB ports problem

zeon801305
Level 7
Owners ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME please tell me you have the same problem?

BIOS Version 1403
I try installed Firmware PD FW update tool (Version 004 and 005 too)
i set Onboard Devices Configurations -> USB Power delivery in Soft off state -> [Enabled]
ErP Ready -> [Disabled]
Optional 6-pin power connector on motherboard (next to 24-pin connector) - connected
Windows 11 Pro

but when my PC off:
all USB-A ports not charging
3 USB-C ports - they charge, but for some reason the central port USB-C is buggy and shows that the charge is disconnected every second

when my PC on:
USB-A ports start to charge, but apparently it is very weak... It takes about ~40-50 minutes for the charge on my iPhone 12 Pro Max to rise by +4%. And my iPad Pro 12.9" when PC on - when i set via USB-A cabble indicated "no charge". At the same time, Windows 11 Pro sees IPhone \ iPad (i can open photos via cabble on my PC) and various USB flash drives - work.

Is my motherboard defective? Or this a software issue?
46 REPLIES 46

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi zeon801305,
My all USB-A ports (when PC state OFF) they don’t supply power.
For this part, please uncheck "turn on fast startup" option in power system settings and then check if the issue still present.
Thank you.

I already tried disabling "fast startup".

I tried first just uncheck the boxes "turn on fast startup" and "hibernate" - it did not solve the problem.
then i tried to disable hibernate mode via CMD - it did not solve the problem too.

I also tried to turn off the PC, and pulled out the power cord from the PSU for ~7-10 minutes - that didn't help either

plee5509 wrote:
I would add that when the computer is off or in Standby, then we are never going to get fast charging, or the ability to have several USB ports charging, as the computer only receives a 5 volt standby supply, depending on the power supply, this may only be 2 amps which is 10 watts in total and some of that is going to be used by the motherboard.

As for faster charging speeds like 60 watt, this is achieved by using higher voltages, and as far as I know, Asus and most other motherboards do not support that (unless they specifically say they do) and so are limited to 5 volt and probably a couple of amps when the PC is powered on, i.e. 10 watt charging.

Motherboards are not sold as USB fast chargers.

There are Thunderbolt cards that will fast charge but these require an extra power connection from the ATX power supply and the card includes a step up converter to obtain higher voltages, however these only work when the PC is powered on.

I understood the situation about quick charging. But now we are not talking about quick charging.

I just need to be able to charge my Logitech G Pro Superlight mouse (which is connected via the USB-A port) when the PC is turned off WITHOUT quick charge, and also, I don’t understand the strange situation with the power failure of the USB-C Thunderbolt port when PC turned off... Charge disappears every 2-3 seconds via Thunderbolt, but two another USB-C ports (10 and 20 Gb\s) charge stably even when the PC is turned off.

I asked other people on the forum who have this motherboard - they said me he don't have that problem and everything works fine. My old PC with gigabyte motherboard also work fine (all USB-A ports charge my mouse when PC state off). With my ASUS Z690 EXTREME - 100% something is wrong. I don't know if this is a software or hardware problem... But my opinion on this moment - i think my motherboard is defective...

Even the Russian technical support of ASUS (where I live) told me that there shouldn't be such problems.

P.S. I also have a problem with crackling in the sound (and via my ROG CLAVIS + Sennheiser earphones, and via my 2.1 Speakers), which I already writed in another thread on this forum (link: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?126833-ALC4082-drops-the-start-of-audio-(Z690-Hero)/page6#...). On another PC everything works without any problems... Everything points to the fact that the problem is clearly with this motherboard (or maybe bad software \ firmware from ASUS for this motherboard).

I have been suffering with these problems for almost 2 months. And still nothing has been decided.

Plus look at this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_IEw3wK7KYqirWyNtW7WD8Yc8x-OqgYS/view?usp=sharing - it's problem with my mini oled M.2_1 radiator... It happens every time very often when i use PC. But when I reboot the PC - mini oled display works fine for a while: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Szzt2rq4AG8FGu_UWIeiO9UOGft9wKK_/view?usp=sharing but then this bug appears again and again...

I'm really very tired... I paid a lot of money in the hope of getting a high-end premium product, but I got as many problems as I have never experienced in my entire life using a PC. I have many other products from ASUS (graphics card ASUS STRIX RTX 3080 Ti, wi-fi router ASUS RT-AX58U, etc...) - it's all a very good products. But ROG Z690 EXTREME motherboard - worst purchase ever.

plee5509
Level 7
I would add that when the computer is off or in Standby, then we are never going to get fast charging, or the ability to have several USB ports charging, as the computer only receives a 5 volt standby supply, depending on the power supply, this may only be 2 amps which is 10 watts in total and some of that is going to be used by the motherboard.

As for faster charging speeds like 60 watt, this is achieved by using higher voltages, and as far as I know, Asus and most other motherboards do not support that (unless they specifically say they do) and so are limited to 5 volt and probably a couple of amps when the PC is powered on, i.e. 10 watt charging.

Motherboards are not sold as USB fast chargers.

There are Thunderbolt cards that will fast charge but these require an extra power connection from the ATX power supply and the card includes a step up converter to obtain higher voltages, however these only work when the PC is powered on.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi zeon801305,
Thank you for your reply.
I'll forward this information to our tech team.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi zeon801305,
For mini oled display issue, could you please help to enter bios > main page > check if the OLED EC VERSION is 0106 and take a photo of it?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi zeon801305,
For mini oled display issue, could you please help to enter bios > main page > check if the OLED EC VERSION is 0106 and take a photo of it?
Thank you.

I already have this photo.

As I understand it, I have OLED EC VERSION 0106 version. My main page bios information:

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi zeon801305,
Thank you for you photo.
If you install the SSD in M.2_1 slot, could you please help to change the SSD to M.2_2 or M.2_3 to see if it reduce the occurrence of the OLED issue?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi zeon801305,
Thank you for you photo.
If you install the SSD in M.2_1 slot, could you please help to change the SSD to M.2_2 or M.2_3 to see if it reduce the occurrence of the OLED issue?
Thank you.

I have only 2 SSD's on my PC (first SSD: M2 Samsung 980 PRO 1 Tb, and second SSD: M2 Samsung 980 PRO 2 Tb)

M2 Samsung 980 PRO 1 Tb already installed in the M.2_2 slot (this is my local disc "C": Windows 11 Pro is installed on it)
and M2 Samsung 980 PRO 2 Tb already installed in the M.2_3 slot (this is my local disc "D": used for games and another files)

Because, judging from the instructions of the motherboard, if I installed one ssd in the M.2_1 slot, I would have cut the speed of my video card slot. I knew all these moments even before buying this motherboard.

Therefore - I didn't put a ssd in M.2_1 slot - it is empty and not used. Because for me was important get PCIEx16 video card line speed. And also more i do not used additional SSD \ HDD disks.

And i have problem with my mini OLED display...

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi zeon801305,
Could you please send me a pic of the barcode between CPU and RAM like this via PM?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi zeon801305,
Could you please send me a pic of the barcode between CPU and RAM like this via PM?
Thank you.

Ok. I sent you 2 photos in PM, so you can see the full barcode (between CPU and RAM) my ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi zeon801305,
Thank you for you photos.
I'll forward them to our tech team for further checking.
Thank you.