cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG MAXIMUS XIII Hero Thunderbolt WORKING but DIED after BIOS reset

ivanebc_
Level 7
Hiya Guys

I've had alot fo issues overtime with my Maximum XIII Hero board. But the reason for today is.

I have a NVMe external drive with a USB-C connector.
I initially connected it with a USBC->USBC connector to one of the thunderbolt ports, but found transfers were slow... 40mb/s slow.

Solution -> Used a USBC -> USBA cable and a standard USB3 port and i got 350-400mb/s

Worked, but wanted a clean solution without having to use adapter cables and not many free USB ports and thunderbolt ports sit unused. I thought it might have been something in BIOS, so i reset the BIOS (I'm on 1402).... and now, my drive isn't recognised in windows AT ALL. Although, i do get a little blue "i'm powered on" light. Device manager shows no unknown devices.
I reinstalled both Chipset and thunderbolt drivers, no difference.... what settings in BIOS may have stuffed this function up?

Thunderbolt is on, USB ports are all enabled.... but something is preventing thunderbolt from working, why couldn't USB just be USB 😞 like the old days.

Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5

Alvez_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hiya
I check release note from official website, BIOS 1402 indeed change TB functions by firmware update. Do you update your intel ME version to the latest as well?
About transmission is slow via C to C connector, Does it mean C to C cable or hub?

Alvez@ROG wrote:
Hiya
I check release note from official website, BIOS 1402 indeed change TB functions by firmware update. Do you update your intel ME version to the latest as well?

Thank you for you reply.

The Management Engine is interesting.. according to Armoury Crate
Title Status Latest Current
Management Engine Interface - Installed - 2120.100.0.1085 - 2145.1.42.0

To me, that seems like my current version i'm running is NEWER than the listed current version? And my current version is the same version as offered on the Drivers download page for this motherboard.

About transmission is slow via C to C connector, Does it mean C to C cable or hub?

No hubs in place, a direct USB-C to USB-C cable from the rear panel of the motherboard to the external portable device.
Though again, right now, i can't get it to see my device, but it will work using a USB-C -> USB-A adapter (and she runs at near 400mb/s too so i know the drive can function, but not my USB-C/Thunderbolt ports.)

Thank you...

Alvez_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi
Thank you for your reply
Yes, I think your driver is the latest version , please also check thunderbolt driver and Intel Serial IO is the latest version by windows update.
After all , if symptoms are exist , please provide brand / model name/ Firmware version(nice to have) of portable device . I will pass to relevent team to test it .

Yes, I think your driver is the latest version , please also check thunderbolt driver and Intel Serial IO is the latest version by windows update.

All windows updates are there, and nothing in the "optional updates" from the updates either (Windows 11 BTW)
Armoury crate doesn't list thunderbolt or serial I/O drivers so i can only see via device manager but i don't see thunderbolt, is it under a different name?
Either way, i did install the current chipset and thunderbolt drivers with no change.

I can't really see drivers being the issue here since the OP says... they already did work, the function stopped after i did a bios reset to default (no update, same version).

After all , if symptoms are exist , please provide brand / model name/ Firmware version(nice to have) of portable device . I will pass to relevent team to test it.

No Brand or model, its just a housing i purchased on ebay... here's a link.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/184786360637

Alvez_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello
I will pass your scenario to testing team, but I think we don't have the same device as yours. So we will use our own equipment to check the same.
Once we duplicate the same situation , will feedback to you soon. Have a nice day.