cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG CROSSHAIR X670E EXTREME - RaidXpert2 HDD array Critical after waking from sleep.

decimus28
Level 10
Edit: I meant "Offline" instead of "Critical".
Array is 2xSeagate Exos 18TB(ST18000NM000J) set to a RAID 0 array on MB SATA6G_1and SATA6G_2 using RaidXpert2. OS is WIndows 11.
Power Supply is SeaSonic X-1050 ( SS-1050XM2 ) 1050W.

When waking from sleep the array will sometime goes ofline showing both HDD as missing in RaidXpert2 utility. Disk->Rescan in RaidXpert will find the HDD and set the RAID back to normal. Restarting the computer will also fix the RAID array. The SSD array works fine. The 18TB Exos had firmware SN02 but I updated to SN04 with no change. The MB bios was also updated to the newer BIOS 0705(2022/10/11) with no change. WIndows 11 Power settings are set to Best Performance.

Does anyone has any tips for fixing this issues? Thanks

Also AMD RAIDXpert Utility 9.3.2.130
and raid drivers installed from MB thumb drive.

Edit Added RAIDXpert2 Log
Edit Changed Critical to Offline(was using wrong terminology)
9 REPLIES 9

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi decimus28,
Did it occur recently or since first RAID 0 build?
Does it also occur on bios 0705 with bios all default settings(no OC)?
Thank you.

decimus28
Level 10
Hello, the only OC I have going is AMD Expo but this was happening before that was enabled. The current BIOS is 0705 but it was happening before I updated it. Before I enabled sleep I thought I had a bad drive because it seemed just one would go offline when I left the computer for a while but I replaced the cables and it went away I thought. I was downloading the whole time from steam at this point though so it never really idled. Now with sleep mode enabled sometimes both drives seem to be missing from RAIDXpert2 utility when the computer wakes up. This makes me think it is an issue with the HDD spinning down and not being activated correctly when spun up in time, as "Turn off hard disk" was set to 20min before sleep was enabled. If I manually rescan in the utility they are found and the array goes online. Another reason is that the SSD array has no issue with sleep mode. Thanks

I added the RAIDXpert2 log to original post but I fully reinstalled windows when I has having the first issue and believe I didn't reinstall the RAIDXpert2 Utility until after I thought I had fixed the issue by changing cables. So the log only shows it going offline starting a few days ago when I enabled sleep.

Update. I just tested it again by Sleeping windows a few time and have managed to get it to only show one of the drives as missing this time upon one of the wakes.

Also rescan doesn't always work, I just had to do a full restart after rescanning 4 times didn't fix it on the last time it went offline on my current sleep tests.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi decimus28,
Thank you for your reply.
Could you please help to backup the files in HDD and follow the instructions in the link below to create RAID in bios again?
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1045089/
Also, do you have other HDD to see if the issue still occurs?
Thank you.

decimus28
Level 10
Already tried to recreate the raid for the exos once so I will try it with two WD Black 2tb that I have. That guide is what I used the first time to set it up with the drivers when installing windows with rcbottom, rcraid, than rccfg last for sata and again for nvme. This raid isn't boot so that part won't need to be done again(did that twice too). I'll let you know about the new WD Black raid once that's online. Thanks

decimus28
Level 10
Made a new RAID array with a 2TB and 5TB Western Digital Blacks. That was on different power cables,data cables and ports. It stayed on while the Exos went offline twice. Then tried the Exos on the ports/cables that worked for the WD HDD. The Exos went offline again. It seems to be an issue with compatibly with the Exos drives or and issue with the drives themselves. It would be nice to hear if anyone else has had success with the Exos 18tb in RAID with RAIDXpert2. I'm going to message Seagate to see if there is any known issues with RAIDXpert2.

decimus28
Level 10
Have 2 IronWolf Pro 18TB in RAID 0 now. They also go offline.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi decimus28,
If the offline issue only occurs on Seagate HDD, have you got any feedback from Seagate?
Thank you.

decimus28
Level 10
Not yet, I'm going to try calling them to see if they know of compatibility issues. Also I'm going to put those Western Digitals back into a raid and give them a little longer to see if they start to do it. I only tried a few sleep cycles last time.