cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WWi-Fi crashes to black screen constantly

taskr36
Level 7
I figured I'd check here to see if anyone has a solution. Basically, the computer crashes to a black screen, fans spin at full speed, and I have to cut off power at the PSU to get the machine to turn off, as the power button does nothing. Occasionally it'll just freeze with whatever's on the screen. Event Viewer shows nothing happening before the crash. My temps are fine, and it happens randomly, sometimes when the computer is literally idle as I'm out of the room. I've tried swapping the PSU, video card, RAM, and hard drive. I've tried a fresh installation of Windows 10, and even upgraded to windows 11. I updated all drivers. I've tried various BIOS, clearing CMOS, adjusting the RAM speed, RAM voltage, letting D.O.C.P. decide, using optimized defaults etc. and nothing helps. I RMAed the motherboard, and the replacement they sent me is just as bad. They've sent me a label to ship this back for yet another RMA, but I'm not confident that'll help and I'm sick of being without my computer. Currently it has BIOS 4006, the latest, but I've also tried with 3904, 3801, and 3702. For some reason it refuses to use any BIOS older than that when I try.

I swapped this with my Asus Tuff Gaming Pro Wi-fi board for a few weeks during the RMA, and it never crashed, so the motherboard is definitely the problem. This has been going on since October 2020, so I'd love it if anyone can give some advice on this. This is literally the most expensive, and most troublesome motherboard I've ever had in over 20 years of building PCs.

My build

AMD Ryzen 3900X

Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT, 280mm Radiator

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-64GVK

ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 SLI Support Video Card TUF-RTX3090-O24G-GAMING

MSI SPATIUM Series M.2 2280 2TB PCI-Express 4.0 x4, NVMe 1.3

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 GT, 80 Plus Gold 1000W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode with FDB Fan

Fractal Design Define R6
8 REPLIES 8

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi taskr36,
Does it crash to black screen or freeze when running the specific apps? or cannot restart the pc with power button after enter sleep mode?
Do you also have the same issue with the replacement motherboard or you didn't try the replacement?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi taskr36,
Does it crash to black screen or freeze when running the specific apps?

No. It happens randomly. It even happens sometimes when the computer is idle and I'm not in the room.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
or cannot restart the pc with power button after enter sleep mode?

I never put the computer into sleep mode. Sleep mode is disabled.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Do you also have the same issue with the replacement motherboard or you didn't try the replacement?

The replacement they sent me has the exact same problem.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi taskr36,
How often the issue occurs? For example, it occurs within 2 hours idle on the desktop.
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of your motherboard
- OS version and OS build
Thank you.

It occurs almost every day,sometimes every two days. It happens at random times. Sometimes when gaming, sometimes browsing the web, and sometimes when I'm doing nothing at all.

Serial: L60974KK0004
OS is Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Build 22000.613

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi taskr36,
If you reinstall window, does the issue still occurs without any apps installed?
If it also occurs with bios all default settings, please disable C-state in bios to see if it occurs again.
Thank you.

Yes. It literally happened within hours of reinstalling Windows.

I can't find C-State anywhere in the BIOS. Are you sure that this motherboard has it? Is it called something else in the BIOS?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi taskr36,
Please try the high-performance option in windows power plan.
Thank you.

ShokWaveD
Level 7
taskr36 wrote:
I figured I'd check here to see if anyone has a solution. Basically, the computer crashes to a black screen, fans spin at full speed, and I have to cut off power at the PSU to get the machine to turn off, as the power button does nothing. Occasionally it'll just freeze with whatever's on the screen. Event Viewer shows nothing happening before the crash. My temps are fine, and it happens randomly, sometimes when the computer is literally idle as I'm out of the room. I've tried swapping the PSU, video card, RAM, and hard drive. I've tried a fresh installation of Windows 10, and even upgraded to windows 11. I updated all drivers. I've tried various BIOS, clearing CMOS, adjusting the RAM speed, RAM voltage, letting D.O.C.P. decide, using optimized defaults etc. and nothing helps. I RMAed the motherboard, and the replacement they sent me is just as bad. They've sent me a label to ship this back for yet another RMA, but I'm not confident that'll help and I'm sick of being without my computer. Currently it has BIOS 4006, the latest, but I've also tried with 3904, 3801, and 3702. For some reason it refuses to use any BIOS older than that when I try.

I swapped this with my Asus Tuff Gaming Pro Wi-fi board for a few weeks during the RMA, and it never crashed, so the motherboard is definitely the problem. This has been going on since October 2020, so I'd love it if anyone can give some advice on this. This is literally the most expensive, and most troublesome motherboard I've ever had in over 20 years of building PCs.

My build

AMD Ryzen 3900X

Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT, 280mm Radiator

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-64GVK

ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 SLI Support Video Card TUF-RTX3090-O24G-GAMING

MSI SPATIUM Series M.2 2280 2TB PCI-Express 4.0 x4, NVMe 1.3

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 GT, 80 Plus Gold 1000W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode with FDB Fan

Fractal Design Define R6

Hey buddy, I think I have the exact same issue, only it isn't as frequent as yours. Basically my monitor will somehow lose signal, the keyboard will lose power from the USB (Yeti microphone not though) and the PC will keep running as usual (fans staying the same speed). Also as you mentioned if I hold down the power button on the case it doesn't shut down. It will only work if i switch off the PSU. I have another thread posted today with a bunch more problems to yours so I don't know if they are related.