cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Crosshair VIII Formula. I do not like SSD Raid anymore

SamTe
Level 9
I have above MB and did upgrade from my SSDs Samsung 970 Evo to Samsung 980 Pro.

My old SSDs worked fine as Volume Raid configuration, but I did have drivers to install them on Win10 Pro.

Then I upgraded to Windows 11 pro and they still worked fine.

Now I did installed 2x Samsung 980 Pro to the motherboard and try since about 2 days to get it running as raid, Volume or Raid 0 - I dont care.

My Bios version is: 4201 x64
My processor AMD Ryzen 3900 XT
132 GB RAM
Nothing overclocked

I installed in different ways and did set the BIOS either:

Advanced/SATA configuration: Raid/ AHCI
Advanced/NVME Raid Mode Enabled

Boot/ CSM Enabled/ or Disabled

Secure Boot Windows UEFI/ or Other OS

I also tried

Advanced/Onboard Devices Configuration M.2_1 and M.2_2 Link Mode AUTO/ or Gen4

No success.

I also disconnect my SATA Drives so I had only SSD installed.

My Windows11 crashed on installation with Blue screens errors of all sorts, and reboots, reboots, can not be fixed.

I wiped all again, I get to the Windows install screen to install on partition 0

I do not have NVME Raid drivers I could load because the Samsung 980 Pro do not have drivers.
Windows by itself seems to have no drives either.

So I delete the disks because I can not install there. Then on the new disks I install on disk 0 and leave disk 1 as is

Same thing...bluescreens, bluescreens...IRQ not equal, NTOSkernel errors and other bad stuff.

What can I do without raid drivers then?

Thanks for ideas
5 REPLIES 5

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi SamTe,
Have you tried install windows 11 in each Samsung 980 Pro SSD without RAID and there was no crashing or blue screen issue?
Please refer to the instructions in the following link and try RAID driver from AMD official website.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1045089
Thank you.

Thank you Starrain

I will check on this atm and try to install without any raid- just plain boot from 1 SSD.
I leave the other SSD untouched for now.

The strange thing is, I can also not get my old Samsung 970 Evo to work when I set them back into the slots.
Same install/ boot problems and bluescreens, even with Win10.

This all occurs somehow as I updated my bios to the recend 4201

Right now I still fight with bluescreens after Win11 is installed and repair options over repair options.

I did reset my bios as well again.

Now I go back to my bios and I get this. Maybe my bios is borged?

PS: I did read your instruction manual. I do not have the picture 4 settings [M.2_1 PCIE Storage RAID Support] and set to [RST Controlled]

When I enable Raid I only get the Raidexpert2 menu thingy where I can create my Raid Volume, 0 or 1

The only thing what is different in my raid install is that I do not have BOTH configured while creating the raid. I only have SSD (dont need raid on SATA)

Raid drivers from AMD I did have the most recent. in their folder where CC, DD and SATA Raid? drivers. No cure.
I also did run tests in the bios for the SSDs. Tests did finish all with "PASS".

I did reflash the last bios again and my last findings:

I did re-install my older Samsung 970 Evo SSD again. I did set it to raid in the Bios and installed Windows 11.
The old SSD Ram runs fine in raid mode.

I think the Samsung 980 Pro are not running with...
- the current Asus Bios version
- the current AMD Raid Drivers
- not running in the Asus Crosshair VIII Formula at all

I tried all what I could think of, even with a Win10 install I could not get the raid up.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi SamTe,
There are instructions for Intel motherboard and AMD motherboard in the link. Please focus on the AMD part as you use AMD motherboard.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1045089
If you can use older Samsung 970 Evo SSD to create RAID, but the Samsung 980 Pro still fail to install windows, please consult Samsung to see if there is any firmware or driver for RAID or if there is any issue with your Samsung 980 Pro.
Thank you.

Thank you Starrain,

I did work the AMD section of the manual, basicaly I did set all up in the bios like I did set up my Samsungs 970 Evo as well.

I compared the firmware of the Samsung 980 Pro SSDs. There where on the last Samsung firmware revision.
I did the SSD tests in the Asus bios and the SSDs passed all tests (so I think they are not faulty).
Samsung does NOT provide any raid drivers or NVME drivers for these SSDs.

I did return the SSDs to the dealer for a refund today.