cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Realtek Audio Drivers (B550-F Gaming) help please

Mevil43
Level 7
I've always been confused about how the audio drivers work on my system.

I downloaded the Realtek audio drivers from Asus' support website. It contains two install files: AsusSetup.exe and Setup.exe. And the end result is different between the two.
The AsusSetup.exe doesn't really show an installation wizard--just a small gray window that says drivers are being installed. Then the window will simply disappear after several minutes, which is apparently the indication that the installation has completed. There is no other notification, no prompt for reboot etc. With the AsusSetup.exe, it appears that Sonic Studio 3 software is also installed, but this app doesn't show up until I install some windows updates. This alone has caused me great confusion.

Then, the Setup.exe file uses the Realtek setup wizard, so it feels more "official" or at least feels more "complete"; I feel more at ease when installing using this file. However, I don't have access to Sonic Studio 3. That's not a big deal for me because I don't use it, but it leaves me concerned because it makes me feel that the installation ISN'T complete; that it is missing something. I have also found that when I install using Setup.exe, there are two "devices" listed under "Audio Inputs and Outputs" in device manager: Speakers (Sonic Studio Virtual Mixer) and Microphone (Sonic Studio Virtual Mixer). These two listings are not present when I install using AsusSetup.exe.

In either case, I have a "Sonic Studio Virtual Mixer" device listed in device manager. I do not know what this is, where it comes from, and how it is different from my "Realtek(R) Audio" device. And what I have found to be the MOST frustrating is that I cannot find good information about what it is from Google or even the Asus online chat techs. "It's just a different audio device on your system" is not a sufficient answer. As far as I know, I have ONE audio device on my motherboard.

(Please note: in each of the installation situations, the drivers are installed on a fresh windows 10 install; there is no uninstall/reinstall process to confound anything)

So, please help me understand:
1) Are there any important differences between installing my audio drivers using AsusSetup.exe vs. Setup.exe? If there are differences, what are they? Should I be using one over another?
2) What is the Sonic Studio Virtual Mixer and how is it different from my Realtek(R) Audio?
3) How important is Sonic Studio 3? Do I need it to get access to the full capabilities of my audio device? Where exactly does this app come from? Is it installed because of the AsusSetup.exe? Does it come from Windows Updates? If it comes from Windows Updates, why is it not installed when I install using the setup.exe?
6 REPLIES 6

Jimbo93
Level 12
I have a different board, it has Realtek audio. I have also wondered about the two different executables. Usually I have run the asussetup.exe. In my case I think it does bring up a Realtek audio installer. But I always have to install the audio console control app manually from the Microsoft store. I think your sonic studio is also a ms store app. Open the ms store app and check the library page. Is it shown there? On your virtual device, it is just a software device it would be needed for sonic studio I assume.

Perhaps we are supposed to run asussetup.exe first and then run setup.exe. I might experiment or see what other responses you get.

Jimbo93
Level 12
Ah Ha! its neither setup nor asussetup! Uninstall every installed asus audio app and then run:

install.bat

I remember figuring this out once before. Its been a rough year. lol.

MoKiChU
Level 40
Mevil43 wrote:
1) Are there any important differences between installing my audio drivers using AsusSetup.exe vs. Setup.exe? If there are differences, what are they? Should I be using one over another?

Hi,

Setup.exe is the Realtek installer (it will only install the drivers), AsusSetup.exe is the ASUS installer (in addition to installing what the Realtek installer already installs, it will mainly install the apps with offline installers).

Note : The drivers packages architecture from my audio drivers threads has been optimized to avoid using Realtek installer or ASUS installer which generate issues for some users & simplify drivers packages architecture.

Mevil43 wrote:
2) What is the Sonic Studio Virtual Mixer and how is it different from my Realtek(R) Audio?

Realtek Audio device is your audio controller device, Sonic Studio Virtual Mixer device is an virtual audio device related to a feature who has the same name mainly dedicated to the content creators (like streamers for example). From your motherboard overview page :

]"Sonic Studio Virtual Mixer : Mix your voice and video game audio together using this software specifically designed for streaming applications. A variety of settings and monitoring."

Note : Even if SSVM is present in your devices, it is software-disabled by default by SS3 app (so it must be enabled via SS3 app if needed).

[QUOTE=Mevil43 wrote:
3) How important is Sonic Studio 3? Do I need it to get access to the full capabilities of my audio device?

Correct.

Mevil43 wrote:
Where exactly does this app come from? Is it installed because of the AsusSetup.exe?

Correct, as stated in the answer to question 1)

Mevil43 wrote:
Does it come from Windows Updates?

Apps cannot come from Windows Update, either they have been installed offline (as is your case with AsusSetup.exe), or online (via the Microsoft Store).

Mevil43 wrote:
If it comes from Windows Updates, why is it not installed when I install using the setup.exe?

As stated in the answer to question 1), Setup.exe don't install the apps.

@MoKiChU

Awesome! Thank you!

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, Mevil43.

Please execute AsusSetup.exe after downloading the driver from the official website.

Thank you.

BissiJoy
Level 8

Hey,

I think you should have to update your realtek audio driver directly from realtek website and then your driver will be updated. Asussteup.exe is not for realtek audio. To Update it in the easy and quick way you can go through the helpful guide i.e - Update Realtek Audio Driver

I Hope it will help you. 

I also have a question regarding my Cousin's Asus Laptop

As we have Recently purchased the ASUS TUF Gaming A15 Ryzen 5 for my Cousin. We are facing the stuttering issue on GTA 5 Game. Is there any solution realted to the same