cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raid array not boot after bios update

m1hn3a
Level 7
Hello,

I have an ASUS ROG Strix Z270E Gaming motherboard, with last Windows 11 insider preview build.

On my setup I have 6 x Sata 1TB HDD (4xRaid 10 and 2x Raid 1) and 2 x NVME 128GB SSd in Raid 0 (for operating system).

I had Drivers - 2xx/3xx : 17.9.6.1019 WHQL [02/02/2021] and everything was working almost fine (only problem was that if I run chkdsk on raid 0 it stuck after finish and need to reboot manually, after that it was booting fine).
A few days ago, ASUS release a new bios for compatibility with Windows 11, and I installed that version. After bios update my PC give me a greenscreen- with Innaccesible boot device...and after restart the strange part is that on bios I cannot see my boot device. I turn off the pc and turn on again, the boot device appear in bios, but same error...and again after that the boot device not visible in bios.

First I tried to install old version of bios, but the problem persist. I put again the latest version of bios and make a clean install of Windows 11 (from official ISO). After clean install, everything was working fine, until I installed the Drivers - 2xx/3xx : 17.9.6.1019 WHQL [02/02/2021] - after reboot same problem.

I have installed again Windows, but this time I have installed SATA - RAID drivers from ASUS download page from my motherboard (version 15.9.0.1015) and it seems to work - but the latest drivers are not working anymore (with new or old bios).

Also I have a problem with Realtek drivers (latest version from MoKiChU thread) and Armoury Crate - I have a headset ASUS Strix 700 FUSION - and if I install Armoury Crate for Headset (that use some Sonic Studio) - Sonic Studio III for motherboard will not allply effects - or if the SS III is working the handset one not...this is happening after a recent update of Armour Crate that integrate SS III control on profiles.

Thank you!
5 REPLIES 5

Blake1
Level 10
Hi there,
Thank you for sharing this feedback with us.
For Windows 11 issue, please kindly please kindly refer to Microsoft website at this moment.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11
If you have any issue with the insider program, please provide to Microsoft directly.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Sounds like your raid array has screwed the pooch. You can try booting from USB install disk and repairing the MBR but that's no guarantee. Never use a raid array as the boot device. I learned that lesson long ago. When things go south the array will get corrupted. Better off using a single M.2 as a boot device. It will actually run faster. The latency of raid kills the random 4k low que depth speed which is has an effect on the OS as its largely comprised of 4k dll files. You can get a 1TB Samsung 970evo plus that's actually faster than the 980 pro for about $120. Or if you want one that screams at those speeds then an Intel 380GB 905P M.2 but they aren't cheap. Shop around and you can find one for under $500. The difference is the optane will get you 250MB/s 4K random where the two NVME drives in raid0 will yield about 40MB/s. Everyone gets hung up on the sequential write which is fine for scratch drives or media storage for vids etc but 4K random speeds is where the performance comes from. Raid even on a high end drive presents latency which kills that performance. If you can afford it Optane drives are where its at.

Heres some examples of two drives that by themselves will do 240MB/s in raid 0. The sequential number looks good amazing but the 4K is screwed (still stomps any other M.2), followed by a P4800X optane all by itself.

Lastly just a single 970 evo plus followed by 3X Samsung 860EVOs in raid 0

Bottom line for OS and apps 4k random is where its at. High sequential is good for media storage where its all large files. Bottom line dont pay attention to the sequential reads, look for the better performing random 4k drives for OS and apps. The bottom number is what matters for performance.

Lastly double check your raid settings in BIOS. Thats not something that stays after a BIOS flash, you have to redo EVERYTHING!!

BigJohnny wrote:
Lastly double check your raid settings in BIOS. Thats not something that stays after a BIOS flash, you have to redo EVERYTHING!!

Hello,

Thank you for your replay!

I will change NVMe SSD later this year, but for the moment I'm stuck with the current setup. I have checked all bios settings - and after windows fresh reinstall- until install RAID driver all work:-) so clearly in BIOS everything is good.

I have read also on anothers forums that each UEFI RAID firmware (from bios) have a specific RAID drivers that will work best.

So I'll keep that older version installed that seems to work fine. But it's strange because until bios update it worked with newest driver (for ar least 2 - 3 months) .

Thank you!

BigJohnny
Level 13
And if thats not enough to blow your noggin heres 4x Optane drives before microcode patches hit the performance on an ASUS hyperX16 card.