cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q-fan can't setup 3x silverstone184i pro (0-100% pwm advertised) Z370-90 and z690

Carlyle2020
Level 10
Hello there,

has anybody with a z370 / z390 or z690 board successfully managed to use Q-Fan to setup 3x silverstone AP 194i pro?
They advertise to run pwm from 0 to 100%.

Q-fan sets the minimum voltage to 50% and above with the occasinal 0-100%.
Even after Q-fan testing non stop for 90 minutes i cannot get it to set all 3 from 0-to 100%.
Armory and fan-expert do not fare better than the bios route.
Except i can see the graph in fan-expert and it clearly shows a gradual ramp-up from 0-100%.
After 3 days offline-contemplation i started to reinstall anything except the OS.

What i found out is that a fresh fan-expert uses baseline percentages if one decides to run it without any fan-optimisation.
All of a sudden i could run all fans evenly if i never fan-optimise AND if a am content with the baseline Asus chose for silent and turbo (which are by no means bad).

Any idea how to wrangle this?
Is there a manual Fan-Expert override button that let's me simply put in what i like?

Fan-expert setting the minimum pwm voltage in % is a hard block i can't get around.

Thanks in advance

Best Regards
Carlyle

btw: FanExpert hat been totally removed from the z390 Apex .
Removed from the old suite and until today forgotten to be implemented in its armory variant.
4 REPLIES 4

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Carlyle2020,
Do you mean cannot setup a gradual ramp-up from 0-100% in q-fan or fan xpert manually? or you have set it up manually, but the fan speed is different from what you set?
Is there any error message? May I have a video about how you set?
Is it working fine when using other pwm fan?
If the model name of the motherboard is ROG MAXIMUS XI APEX, please install AI Suite 3 V3.00.51 for DIP5 V2.00.02 and then update to AI Suite 3 V3.00.52.
Thank you.

Carlyle2020
Level 10
Hello Starrain,

thanks for answering.
The trouble starts with the intital 2-5 minute Bios setup which will go gradually through all fan speeds.
That test takes 1 second to go from 0% to 50% and then it takes 3 minutes to finish.

The results are the issue. It should find 3 fans that can be set from 0% upwards.
But it does not:
1 or 2 fans get detected correctly, but never all 3.

As you see on the left i am not allowed to set anything in the red area.
The right side shows a correct graph. But the precentage numbers don't match the associated rpm.

All other fans in the world run perfect with your boards.
And your DC-fan management for my Silverstone AP181 is the most granular of all board manufacturers. I test this since 2009.
I just have troubles with the new pwm variants: Silverstone AP184i pro and its predecessor AP183.
But the AP183 i could at least get to work after 10-20 setup attempts.

I will install as you requested and will come back to you.

Best Rgds Carlyle

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Carlyle2020,
Do you only try the 3x silverstone184i pro with ROG MAXIMUS XI APEX motherboard? or you have also tried them on other motherboard models but the results are the same?
May I have the model name, bios version and fan xpert version?
Do you adjust any settings in bios qfan? or all default settings?
Can you adjust fan settings with RPM fix mode in fan xpert?
Please also do fan tuning in fan xpert again to see if there is any change.
Thank you.

QUOTES from STARRAIN@ROG:

"Hi Carlyle2020,
Do you only try the 3x silverstone184i pro with ROG MAXIMUS XI APEX motherboard? or you have also tried them on other motherboard models but the results are the same?"
-the troubles are all come down to the same: Due to lack of expert mode and overridability of the first fan-expert scan, i'm screwed since even without the scan i can't set anything below 20%.

"May I have the model name, bios version and fan xpert version? "
- z370 hero Wifi - up to and including the lastest ones as of 19th of march
-z370 hero non wifi - up to and including the lastest ones as of 19th of march

"Do you adjust any settings in bios qfan? or all default settings?"
- I have started with the lastet bios and "optimal" setttings
- First i din't touch and the i have tried standard mode and high mode separte fan settings
- I have tried with and without scanning

"Can you adjust fan settings with RPM fix mode in fan xpert?"
-Not low enough since the scanned values are totally wrong and i can't override them
-Not low enough since the hardcoded minimum is 20% without a scan (due to lack of expert mode)

"Please also do fan tuning in fan xpert again to see if there is any change."
- Nothing changed. Every scan is a lottery that i never win. Even Scanning the whole time whilst watching aquaman did not make me lucky.

Still thank you mate! You'e done everyting right!
You can close this thread.

Since i have found a work around:
- removing like 7 asus related separate apps that armory installs separately AND removing armory itself (which is not a small feat!)
- Flashing the bios afterwards and having to pay third parties for a solution: "argus" fan control is my savior

That's like a laughingly small company giving me what i need instead of advertising to me like i have the brain and attention span of a 14 year old child via this bloaty advertising platform called armory.

You had something there. But you have overdone it by quiet a margin.
I'm out and willing to pay money to third parties out of helpnessness for basic , functioning fan-control.
I simply don't have time to find the real issue in the software provided.

side note:
Two of those sideprograms are in- and de-installed in what looks like simplified chinese.