cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime Z690-P CPU Fan speed not working correctly

plee5509
Level 7
I have a Prime Z690-P and all setup working perfectly with Windows 11, but noticed an oddity with the CPU Fan. I'm using a CoolerMaster EVO V2 but the same happened with the Intel stock cooler.

Basically the speed goes in reverse, by that I mean as the CPU temperature increases, the fan speed of the CPU cooler slows down and hits the minimum setting, as the CPU cools down, the fan speeds up. If you think about a dot on the Q-FAN chart for the temperature, it moves in the wrong direction. All other fans work correctly. Also when in the BIOS and in the Q-FAN settings, if I adjust the chart the fan works normally, for example set turbo mode, the fan speeds up, select quiet mode the fan slows down. It just seems that the temperature change moves the speed in the opposite direction that it should. I've tried DC Mode and PWM Mode, in DC Mode I set the fan to stop at it's lowest setting, and sure enough, run a benchmark to stress the CPU the fan slow downs and stops, stop the benchmark and see the CPU temperature fall, the fan starts back up again! I've ran several Q-Fan calibration tests and it's made no difference, the CPU fan always behaves in the opposite manner it should with temperature. Obviously this isn't good! I've done a full reset of the BIOS and it made no difference.

I downloaded some fan control software to run in Windows and configured it for the CPU fan, and this works it perfectly, and so points the finger at a bug in Q-FAN firmware/BIOS.

Posting here in the hope it gets picked up by Asus, or if anyone has any ideas how I might fix it as I'd rather not run software to control the fan.
22 REPLIES 22

DragDay7 wrote:
Unless QFAN doesn't detect lowest fan speed like in my case. I have 4 DC fans with lowest speed at 28%. QFAN detects it at 28-33%, I've never been able to get 28% in all of them. Thus I just use Fan Control and call it a day xD

Maybe you have another app that controls CPU fan speed? But since you don't like additional software I highly doubt it.

The same cooler works fine when connected to SYS FAN header?

No other apps prior to me installing one to troubleshoot, and it is Fan Control I'm using to take over the CPU Fan and that all works as expected. The same fan on the cooler works fine on another header, as do all the other fan headers, just the CPU one goes in reverse. I've tried all the stock profiles in the BIOS of Turbo, Silent etc as well as manual and the result is the same, the CPU fan is slowing down for a rise in temperature, and speeding up for a reduction in temperature.

plee5509 wrote:
No other apps prior to me installing one to troubleshoot, and it is Fan Control I'm using to take over the CPU Fan and that all works as expected. The same fan on the cooler works fine on another header, as do all the other fan headers, just the CPU one goes in reverse. I've tried all the stock profiles in the BIOS of Turbo, Silent etc as well as manual and the result is the same, the CPU fan is slowing down for a rise in temperature, and speeding up for a reduction in temperature.

Did you try the beta bios on my previous page. It take time and all effort to determine what exactly the problems came from. Having said that, all trouble shooting method worth a try to finalize and reflect the main reason if the bios or hardware causing you the issue. It part to be an PC enthusiastic.

ahfoo wrote:
Did you try the beta bios on my previous page. It take time and all effort to determine what exactly the problems came from. Having said that, all trouble shooting method worth a try to finalize and reflect the main reason if the bios or hardware causing you the issue. It part to be an PC enthusiastic.

Will give it a go soon, currently using the computer for work so don't want to risk any downtime.

ahfoo wrote:

No surprise perhaps as not mentioned in the release notes it was fixed, the 1601 BETA firmware has the exact same problem, the CPU fan speed reduces the hotter the CPU is, and speeds up as it cools down, so working in reverse.

ahfoo
Level 13
Hi mate, maybe you want to try the new beta bios to see if it solved your problems.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/BIOS/PRIME-Z690-P-ASUS-1601.zip

Please return to BIOS default if you want to upgrade to this version. If I were you, I will reset the original bios setting before updating to this version. After updating the bios. Reset to default again. I am not sure others, but that my habit for years. Most of them will think I over zealous but that what I do and never go wrong for the past years.

ahfoo wrote:
Hi mate, maybe you want to try the new beta bios to see if it solved your problems.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/BIOS/PRIME-Z690-P-ASUS-1601.zip

Please return to BIOS default if you want to upgrade to this version. If I were you, I will reset the original bios setting before updating to this version. After updating the bios. Reset to default again. I am not sure others, but that my habit for years. Most of them will think I over zealous but that what I do and never go wrong for the past years.

I will give it a go, I did look at that and nothing in the release notes say Q-FAN fixes so I'm guessing it will be the same, but will try later and report back.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi plee5509,
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of the motherboard via PM
- the brand and the model name of your CPU, RAM, graphics card, OS drive, PSU and pc case
(Please check the specific model name of RAM such as G.SKILL F5-6800U4040G16GX2-TZ5S.)
- OS version and OS build
- pictures of your q-fan settings
Thank you so much.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi plee5509,
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of the motherboard via PM
- the brand and the model name of your CPU, RAM, graphics card, OS drive, PSU and pc case
(Please check the specific model name of RAM such as G.SKILL F5-6800U4040G16GX2-TZ5S.)
- OS version and OS build
- pictures of your q-fan settings
Thank you so much.

Hi, information is:

Serial number via PM
CPU: Intel i7-12700, RAM: Crucial CT2K32G48C40U5 64GB Kit (2x32GB), using CPU graphics (no graphics card), Windows 11, Corsair MX650 PSU and CoolerMaster S600 case.

Windows 11 All up to date and currently showing as version 10.0.22000, BIOS 1401 and now 1601 (same issue on both).

Q.FAN settings attached (issue is the same with any setting or if using manual), issue happens when the fan is in PWM Mode or DC Mode, so isn't an issue with the PWM signalling being misinterpreted by the fan as the DC voltage is also lowering when it should be increasing. Software control via Fan Control in Windows works correctly. All other fans working correctly. In PM I've added a link to a Google shared folder with a screen capture showing HWMonitor and the CPU fan slowing when the temperature rises, and one with it working correctly when using Fan Control in Windows.

Hope that helps resolve it.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi plee5509,
Thank you for your information.
I'll consult our tech team more about this.

plee5509
Level 7
I've now worked around this issue by plugging the CPU fan into the AIO pump header where it works correctly, i.e. spins up for higher temperatures and slows down when the CPU temperature is lower. The CPU fan header definitely has a bug, I suspect the CPU Fan is incorrectly set to read the distance from the T Junction temperature, which would explain it's reverse behaviour, as the distance to T junction becomes lower when the CPU temperature is hotter. Hopefully Asus will get this fixed in a future BIOS update, although rather embarrassing for them they have this fundamental bug in at least one of their motherboards.