cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCIe Speed Z690 Extreme

sempix
Level 7
Hello,
I am a 3d artist and i have a system with a 13900k and 2 GPUs on an Asus Maximus z690 Extreme motherboard. One GPU is an RTX4090, the other is a 2080ti. Now the theory is that both GPUs should be running at 8x speed. Both the bios and GPU-Z only show a speed of 4x for the second PCI slot. I have already swapped the positions of the graphics cards. However, the lower slot always remains at 4x speed. I have the M2_2 and M2_3 occupied with an SSD, all other slots are free. Does anyone have an idea how I can bring the speed of the second pcie slot to 8x?
17 REPLIES 17

Hi, i can confirm that the pc isn't booting windows with only one gpu installed in the lower slot. It doesn't matter what gpu of the both 4090s is installed.

Hello Jiaszzz,
Hi, i can confirm that the pc isn't booting windows with only one gpu installed in the lower slot. It doesn't matter what gpu of the both 4090s is installed.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, sempix.

May I ask what does PCIE speed show in the BIOS when you only install one GPU on PCIEX16 (G5)_2 and cannot enter Windows?

Thank you.

Hello Hello Jiaszzz,
it shows 4x Speed.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, sempix.

According to the image of the BIOS setting "IMG_20230308_090100.jpg" that you provided on 3/1,
the Intel Management Engine has not been updated to the latest version, 16.1.25.2020.
>> https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z690-extreme-model/helpdesk_bios/

Please confirm again after updating that it will be able to run in X8 if you only install one GPU in the PCIEX16 (G5)_2 slot.
If it cannot run in X8 or enter Windows, what is the PCIE speed shown in the bios?

Thank you.

Hello Jiaszzz,
i updated Intel ME regarding your provided Link. Unforunately PCIe Speed is remaining 4x in Bios and in Windows. I did several restarts. Some times it shows 8x in Bios with immidate bluescreen/crash after booting windows. After some restarts its back to 4x and i can work. This is really annoying 😞

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, sempix.

After you tested only installing the RTX4090 in the PCIEX16 (G5)_2 slot,
has the PCIEX16_2 link speed on the PCI Express Configuration page in the BIOS been adjusted to Gen4?
If it is auto or already Gen4 but still cannot run in X8, it is recommended that you you visit the ASUS Repair Center to have your device checked.

Thank you.

Hello Jiaszzz,

thank you again for your support. I double checked it today and set the Gen from Auto to Gen4. The bus speed is remaining to 4x. I will contact my Asus Repair Center.