cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCIe Gen 4 causes USB problems on B550/X570

Funtik
Level 7
I have been having issues when I upgraded to 3080 last week and could not pinpoint what exactly until I found the following thread on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/k8mtes/pcie_gen_4_causes_usb_problems_on_b550x570/

I have the 570X ROG HERO / 5900x and 3080. The issue I was having was revolving around my keyboard randomly disconnecting which I attempted to troubleshoot by switching out wires, usb ports and finally the keyboard with no luck. However, after reading the aforementioned thread on reddit detailing gen 4 / usb 3.0 issues I switched from PCI gen 4 to 3 and immediately all the issues were resolved. It seems the 3080 is having some conflict with gen 4 and AMD boards.

I am hoping this will get resolved in future bios update.
5 REPLIES 5

magnusr
Level 7
Funtik wrote:
I have been having issues when I upgraded to 3080 last week and could not pinpoint what exactly until I found the following thread on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/k8mtes/pcie_gen_4_causes_usb_problems_on_b550x570/

I have the 570X ROG HERO / 5900x and 3080. The issue I was having was revolving around my keyboard randomly disconnecting which I attempted to troubleshoot by switching out wires, usb ports and finally the keyboard with no luck. However, after reading the aforementioned thread on reddit detailing gen 4 / usb 3.0 issues I switched from PCI gen 4 to 3 and immediately all the issues were resolved. It seems the 3080 is having some conflict with gen 4 and AMD boards.

I am hoping this will get resolved in future bios update.

It might be related to PCIe 4.0 then. Not tested the solution myself.

Have a 3090 + Hero viii x570 and a 5950x. I have keyboard dropping out in idle. Logitech message popping up. Wouldn't have noticed if if not.
I also had to swap the connection to my dac from USB to optical after i upgraded the bios and put in the 5950x. Got serious USB static noise (way worse when gaming) sound after the bios and cpu upgrade.

Currently at bios 2702. Wondering if bios 3003 solves this?

magnusr wrote:
It might be related to PCIe 4.0 then. Not tested the solution myself.

Have a 3090 + Hero viii x570 and a 5950x. I have keyboard dropping out in idle. Logitech message popping up. Wouldn't have noticed if if not.
I also had to swap the connection to my dac from USB to optical after i upgraded the bios and put in the 5950x. Got serious USB static noise (way worse when gaming) sound after the bios and cpu upgrade.

Currently at bios 2702. Wondering if bios 3003 solves this?

Do you have up-to-date AMD chipset drivers on ?
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

You mention upgraded as well, the 5000 series do not use power plans, which the 3000 series have. (might be relevant)
USB statice noise is not likely to BIOS issue `imo.

RedSector73 wrote:
Do you have up-to-date AMD chipset drivers on ?
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

You mention upgraded as well, the 5000 series do not use power plans, which the 3000 series have. (might be relevant)
USB statice noise is not likely to BIOS issue `imo.

On windows balanced power plan. Latest amd chipset driver from their site.

Saved my bios settings to a profile. Updated to bios 3003. Loaded settings from profile. Now I am getting whea 19 errors in the system event log! Did not have whea errors on bios 2702... And L3 cache performance has been cut in half going from 2702 to 3003 according to Aida64. However system seems to be working fine. Not tested USB sound yet.

Have not tested to force PCIe 3.0 yet. Going to test disabling c states and typical idle voltage first.

magnusr
Level 7
Update

Problem with L3 speed and whea errors is gone. Loaded bios defaults and put the settings back in manually.

Do not load profile settings from an older bios after updating the bios!

magnusr wrote:
Update

Problem with L3 speed and whea errors is gone. Loaded bios defaults and put the settings back in manually.

Do not load profile settings from an older bios after updating the bios!

did your USB issues go away?

mine are directly related to power consumption by GPU and or the actual USB devices, Webcams seem to drive it over the edge, trying to use powered exter USB HUBs do not make a diference.

Moving to certain USB ports seems to make some difference but I still have issues where single USB or EVERYTHING-the whole USB system resets, USB fans keyboards cameras etc....

I guess I have to try to PCIE v3 workaround... this is unacceptable, paid for all new components and its running like some alpha POS.