cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optical audio problem with new deskktop/ROG Maximus Z790 Hero

iamloco724
Level 7
I got a new desktop pc, my motherboard is the ROG Maximus Z790 Hero

I use Edifier speakers connected via optical cable, on my old pc I have 0 issues...On my new PC I seem to have no problems playing my lossless library through Itunes but when I go to Youtube I get a crazy static like sound that wont go away unless I turn off the speakers. It sometimes happens as soon as I hit play other times it only happens if I skim the video.

here is a video of it happening https://streamable.com/nb5tu4

I gave updated the audio firmware that claims to fix a similar bug and my drivers are up to date.

Is this another bug? If so is there any solution?
3 REPLIES 3

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, iamloco724.

Sorry for the slow reply due to the Lunar New Year holiday and any inconvenience this may cause.

Please confirm the following questions to help us better understand the problem:
- Does this abnormal sound also happen with an external earphones or other speakers?
- Does it only show up on YouTube, or does it play any music? How often does this sound appear?
- Have you tried cross-testing other cables or ports?

Thank you.

Jiaszzz@ROG wrote:
Hello, iamloco724.

Sorry for the slow reply due to the Lunar New Year holiday and any inconvenience this may cause.

Please confirm the following questions to help us better understand the problem:
- Does this abnormal sound also happen with an external earphones or other speakers?
- Does it only show up on YouTube, or does it play any music? How often does this sound appear?
- Have you tried cross-testing other cables or ports?

Thank you.

Hi

Yes it happens no matter what speakers

Itunes plays fine, I also tried YouTube on Chrome and it plays fine there too. Firefox is where it happens
It will happen anytime I skim a video music or otherwise, It happens everytime I do that. The only way to get rid of the sound is to turn off my speakers and close out of the source.

RCA line in works, I have tried two different optical cables.

After doing my own research it sounds very much like a problem people have experienced with other boards, thats why I wound up trying Chrome because in these threads it said it was happening in Firefox and not Chrome. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?122939-Z590-F-Sound-Issues-Optical-Cable

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, iamloco724.

If the optical audio problem only happens on Firefox and doesn't exist in other browsers or built-in audio, it could be that a required plugin is missing, the component is out of date, blocked, has conflicts with other components or extensions, or the content is blocked for some reason.
It is recommended that you uninstall and reinstall Firefox to see if the problem can be solved.

Thank you.