cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onboard RGB problems on C8E

lNervo92
Level 7
Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem with my Crosshair VIII Extreme motherboard.
I am not able to turn off the onboard RGB leds of the upper half of the motherboard. These LEDs are always stuck on red.
Whatever settings I use in Armoury Crate (or BIOS), it does not make a difference.
For example, if I set Aura effect to "Dark", these few leds stay lit red (whilst other leds actually turn off).
If i set Aura effect to static white, then the same leds become somewhat pink-ish, keeping this red component.

The behavior is the same when the system is on or off (with shutdown effects disabled, the leds stay red when system is off).

I tryed everything I though of to solve the problem:
Clean uninstall and reinstall of Armoury Crate
Clear CMOS
Bios Flash
Windows clean reinstall
Stripping the board of all other components (SSDs, RAM, GPU....)

Nothing seems to be able to solve the problem.
Has anyone ever encoutered a similar issue ?
4 REPLIES 4

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi lNervo92,
May I double confirm lower RGB light con be controlled flawlessly in bios and Armoury Crate, and only the onboard RGB leds shows "ROG" beside CPU cannot be controlled?
Does it also occur on bios 0801 with bios all default settings(no OC)?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi lNervo92,
May I double confirm lower RGB light con be controlled flawlessly in bios and Armoury Crate, and only the onboard RGB leds shows "ROG" beside CPU cannot be controlled?
Does it also occur on bios 0801 with bios all default settings(no OC)?
Thank you.

Hi STARRAIN, thanks for reaching out.

I confirm that only the upper led is affected, and that lower leds are working flawlessly.
Also, I dug a bit more on that issue, and the C8E has 8 different onboard leds, and only 2 are showing this behavior.
FUrthermore, the problem is not exactly that it CANNOT be controlled, it's that the control is screwed.
For example, when using custom colors:
(0,0,0) should be Dark. It's dark on lower leds, but red on upper leds
(100, 100, 100) should be grey. It's grey on lower leds, but pink-ish / light red on upper leds
So, it's like, whatever color I set, let's say, (X, Y, Z), the lower leds work great and display (X, Y, Z), but upper leds show (X+100, Y, Z), so that every color is "more red" than it should, and more importantly, when it should be dark (0, 0, 0), it's red instead.

SO yeah, just like their is an offset on the red channel encoding, and that 0 is not the "true" 0.

This problem appeared recently, under bios 801.
I tryed refleshing the bios after a clear CMOS, same issue.
I also tryed to roll back to 604 (previous version I had before 801), same issue.
I tryed unplugging the PSU from the wall for a night, same issue.
I removed all storage disks, formatted them, and made a new clean install of windows, but then again, same issue.

So, I start to truly believe that their is something physically broken on the RGB controller.

Also, as a sidenote, when I turn off the OLED screen of the motherboard in the BIOS (for both on-power and off-power), it still stays on. Same for RGB, setting it to "Aura Off" in the BIOS does not make any difference compared to "All On"

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi lNervo92,
Look like it is hardware related issue as it also occur with bios settings and you have tried clear CMOS and downgrade BIOS version.
Please send the motherboard to our RMA for further examination.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi lNervo92,
Look like it is hardware related issue as it also occur with bios settings and you have tried clear CMOS and downgrade BIOS version.
Please send the motherboard to our RMA for further examination.
Thank you.

I can't at the moment.
The motherboard is powering the workstation I am currently using for work, and I don't have a spare board to replace it during the RMA process.
I will try to find one, but the C8E isn't available anywhere at the moment in my region, and I NEED the 10GbE connexion for my uses 😞

Anyway, thanks for the assist ! 🙂