cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 NVMe advice

aGovs
Level 7
Hi all,

Firstly just want to acknowledge the awesome community in the ROG forums, you guys (and girls) rock!

Long story short, I am using 10th gen CPU in 11th gen Mobo. Hence, the first m.2 slot on the board is not supported.

Luckily however, the Mobo came with a riser card and I have both slots occupied.

Just recently I have noticed red led emitting from the riser card, two lights presumably for two slots in the riser occupied. I have never noticed these lights before and not sure why they are there now. Both drives are working and everything appears normal, except for the fact the ssd is slightly bent in the riser card when installing them.

Does anyone else using the riser card have red led emitting light? Follow up question is, what kind of speed so the dimm.2 slot provide relative to the dedicated m.2 slots?

Secondly, if a single m.2 ssd is installed in the second slot on the Mobo, that shared PCIe gen 3.0 with GPU, resulting in 8x lanes for GPU, what kind of performance loss can be expected?

TIA
10 REPLIES 10

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi aGovs and JcRabbit,
After checked with our tech team again, the red led just shows device is getting power and working fine, so please rest assured.
Thank you.