Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero Z690 having issues with getting windows errors and nvme drive not working

Medwynd
Level 8
EDIT:
ASUS has recognized this as an official issue:
Hi all,
For WHEA 17 error, our tech team have reported it and co-work with Intel.
If there is any news, I'll keep updated.
Thank you.

Possible solutions for this issue can be accomplished in one of two ways, both involve turning off PCI Express power management.
1. In windows go to Power Options and change the plan setting to High Performance . You may also be able to just go to the advanced settings and change Link State Power Management to "off"
2. In the BIOS set PCI Express Native Power Management to disabled instead of auto

Trying to track down is this is an issue with the motherboard, the nvme drive, or drivers.

Using windows 11 on a Hero Z690 with a WD sn850 nvme drive.

Occasionally the drive will appear, sometimes it will take a reboot, sometimes it will appear then disappear. Getting these types of error an warning events:

After rebooting I see
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
Description: A corrected hardware error has occurred.
Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7AB4&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_11

Looking in device manager I see that Intel PCI Express Root Port #13 - 7AB4
Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7AB4&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_11\3&11583659&0&EC had a problem starting.

Then later
Source: stornvme
Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort3, was issued.

Source: stornvme
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort3.

Followed by some warning errors on the source disk such as ntfs unable to flush data etc. presumably because the drive no longer has connection or is in some otherwise bad state.

I'm using the latest drivers from the support page for the chipset and everything else.

Any ideas where to start with this? I'm not sure if I have a bad motherboard, a bad nvme drive or possibly just some bad drivers.
234 REPLIES 234

Falkentyne wrote:
Did you try changing this setting in your BIOS:

PCI Express Native Power Management: To disabled (instead of auto?)

Thanks for the advice! I did now.

I restarted windows then went right to the UEFI. I changed that setting, booted into Windows. I only had one of those errors shortly after startup instead of about half a dozen after restarting Windows.

If starting up Windows after the system has been off, I would typically get a couple dozen or sometimes even around a hundred or more but after booting up into Windows after disabling PCI Express Native Power Management I received ZERO instances of that error! I've never received none of those errors before shortly after start up. Will continue to monitor.

Asus, is this an issue that will be addressed in the next BIOS update?

JeffroMan wrote:

I restarted windows then went right to the UEFI. I changed that setting, booted into Windows. I only had one of those errors shortly after startup instead of about half a dozen after restarting Windows.

If starting up Windows after the system has been off, I would typically get a couple dozen or sometimes even around a hundred or more but after booting up into Windows after disabling PCI Express Native Power Management I received ZERO instances of that error! I've never received none of those errors before shortly after start up. Will continue to monitor.

I sure hope so, because I with the SN850 1TB as main and the Samsung 960 PRO as SLAVE gets into blue screens all the time. Especially annoying since it's "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" - In other words: I can't use that for anything as it's too generic. However, as the PC runs fine with only 1 drive attached it is somehow controller/driver related.

If it isn't fixed in a few months I will have to get another board. I simply can't accept having a so expensive HDD not working.

JeffroMan wrote:

Could you do me a favour? Transfer like 20GB from C: to 😧 back and forwards a few times and see if you crash? My PC starts copying the files and then it just goes to 0% speed and the error comes. If it doesn't blue screen.

Thank you.

Strix D4 here. Migrated Win10.

I finally raided my two wd sn850.
Behind the raid they can't scream to the event viewer anymore.

I've got the "event 7 " bug. Like 430 times per hour.
After the raid its Device\Harddisk2\DR2 now - my 980pro OS in the upper slot.

Besides following all deinstall and reinstall procedures i deinstalled any drvier for old hardware that was installed once but isn't now.

The only thing weird i could find is that deep in the drivers pages it seems to misinterpred my drive with a patriot usb drive i once installed which shared the same drive letter.

I can't make heads or tails out of this issue. Just that my drives are fine, even if the event viewer thinks otherwise.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi all,
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi all,
Thank you.

Hi ROG,

I contacted ASUS Support today as my main drive - I have removed the slave Samsung 960 PRO as that was a nogo to get to work correctly with any BIOS settings - so I only use 1 drive. My WD Black SN850 1TB. Now the drive has started disappearing sometimes even in BIOS. I moved the drive to another port than the top one, but are still encountering the same issues....

I was finally able to install Windows 11 again by poor luck and a lot of restarts. I had to set all ports I could to PCIE Gen 3 speeds before the motherboard semi-stable finds my drive and boots up.

Are there by any change an experimental BIOS in the oven I can try out or do you think that my board are broken? The thing is it doesn't "feel" broken. When it works it works awesome, but the hard drives disappearing and reappearing are sort of a bummer... To be honest I spend many many many hours now testing just about anything you can imagine to sort this issues, but it seems to fall back to a BIOS issue. Something are not "talking correctly to each other" in the PCI Subsystem.

I'm a tech adviser/employee for a company supporting other companies hardware and I work with computers in all sorts and shapes daily. I have never ever encountered these issues before.

Thank you for your help.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Wrathier,
Have you tried other SSD but it also disappear sometimes?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Wrathier,
Thank you.

Hi ROG

I have 2 different NVME drives and it happens to both... 😞

Today I have installed Windows on an old "normal" SSD drive connected directly to SATA port and that doesn't seem to disappear. It seems like it's only my NVMe drives.

Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Wrathier,
Thank you.

Hi again.

I have now been using my system with a standard SSD disc all day.

I can see my NVMe drives in Windows and assign them a drive letter. However, when I try to format them I get an Event ID 11, Disk: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort2.

At the same time I get a lot of EVENT ID 51: An error detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR2 during paging operation. - I get that for both my NVMe drives so I'm confident they are not broken unfortunately 😞

Any thoughts?

For now I have my 60GB SSD and an old 500GB mechanical drive and the NVMe drives connected, but can only use the 2 attached to SATA.

I really don't want to have to return this motherboard. Honestly, it's a lot of work to disassemble the computer, wait for new board, reassemble etc. Are there ANY change this is just BIOS or are the board broken?

I have also tried with all existing BIOS's even the oldest. No difference in functionality.

Thank you.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Wrathier,
Do you mean the NVME SSD didn't disappear in bios or in windows but you cannot format it in windows?
Have you tried 2 different NVME SSD, but you have the above issue on both NVME SSD? only SATA drives are working fine?
Did it also occur on bios 0811 with bios all default settings?
Thank you.