Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero Z690 having issues with getting windows errors and nvme drive not working

Medwynd
Level 8
EDIT:
ASUS has recognized this as an official issue:
Hi all,
For WHEA 17 error, our tech team have reported it and co-work with Intel.
If there is any news, I'll keep updated.
Thank you.

Possible solutions for this issue can be accomplished in one of two ways, both involve turning off PCI Express power management.
1. In windows go to Power Options and change the plan setting to High Performance . You may also be able to just go to the advanced settings and change Link State Power Management to "off"
2. In the BIOS set PCI Express Native Power Management to disabled instead of auto

Trying to track down is this is an issue with the motherboard, the nvme drive, or drivers.

Using windows 11 on a Hero Z690 with a WD sn850 nvme drive.

Occasionally the drive will appear, sometimes it will take a reboot, sometimes it will appear then disappear. Getting these types of error an warning events:

After rebooting I see
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
Description: A corrected hardware error has occurred.
Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7AB4&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_11

Looking in device manager I see that Intel PCI Express Root Port #13 - 7AB4
Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7AB4&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_11\3&11583659&0&EC had a problem starting.

Then later
Source: stornvme
Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort3, was issued.

Source: stornvme
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort3.

Followed by some warning errors on the source disk such as ntfs unable to flush data etc. presumably because the drive no longer has connection or is in some otherwise bad state.

I'm using the latest drivers from the support page for the chipset and everything else.

Any ideas where to start with this? I'm not sure if I have a bad motherboard, a bad nvme drive or possibly just some bad drivers.
234 REPLIES 234

Medwynd wrote:
To follow up on my original post, I have had zero loss of functionality from the drive ever since I changed the power profile to the high performance setting. It has been over a week now with no issues. Zero other settings, either in windows or in the bios were made. No drivers were changed in that time period. No firmwares updated. Some games were installed but that was the only change besides changing the power profile.

Hi mate.

Ok I will remove my GFX again and insert the drive for the 3rd time and do the BIOS change as recommended. I am already running High performance setting with the link disabled, but perhaps it will change something if I do it in BIOS. This is frustrating. I'll be back no matter what I find out.

Drive 1: WD SN850 1TB

Slave: Samsung 960 PRO 2TB.

Falkentyne wrote:
Silentscone, I'm getting the exact same WHEA error.
It doesn't cause crashes or instability. It's always in "7AB4" ID.
This points to the "NVM Express driver", by searching for the matching ID in device manager.

I mentioned this to Shamino before. The common factor is this seems to be happening to most/all systems with Western Digital SN850 drives + Asus Z690 boards.
Setting the drive to "Gen 3" on the dimm_2 stops all of these WHEA errors.

Thank you so much brother. I must mention i use Asus Rog Strix Z690-A Motherboard. It's DDR4 with intel 12600K cpu. You are right i have the WD SN850 and same thing happened. I must mention that on BIOS 1003 i just turned off VDM off and that was it. Today i updated to 1304 and problem was back. This time i used default motherboard setting but turned the GEN 3 option as you mentioned and voila. So far all good. I will update if there is anything.

I just reg to say that my asus tuf gaming b660m wifi d4 board had the same problem and that I bought first new sn850 on which I was able to install win10 and after restart OS would not boot.
I tired csm on/off, vdm, pcie power management, different m2 slots, all bios version (even the last beta one) and i still was not able to have boot from nvme.
I thought that is is wd problem, so I bought new 970 evo plus. Problem was still there. I moved wd in my ps5, so no harm there since it is ultra fast, but again I had to spend money to determine that this board has issues. From sata it boots, from nvme is not possible to start win os.

I returned it. I am now waiting for other oem board.

I am sad to discover that this problem still is not tackled by Asus, even for premium z690 boards.
As I said, I have to go with other oem...

Big fail Asus, big fail

I'm having these issues too and I'm running a WD850 drive like many others.
So far, I haven't tried setting it to Gen3. Why? I didn't buy a Gen4 drive to run it at a slower speed to begin with.
Especially when it worked fine at Gen4 before.

Makdaddy wrote:
Thank you so much brother. I must mention i use Asus Rog Strix Z690-A Motherboard. It's DDR4 with intel 12600K cpu. You are right i have the WD SN850 and same thing happened. I must mention that on BIOS 1003 i just turned off VDM off and that was it. Today i updated to 1304 and problem was back. This time i used default motherboard setting but turned the GEN 3 option as you mentioned and voila. So far all good. I will update if there is anything.

This is happening on Samsung drives also.

Wrathier
Level 7
OMG I'm so happy I found this post. I use an ASUS STRIX Z690 -F Gaming Wifi with a 1TB WD SN850 as main drive.

My other drive a 2TB Samsung 960 PRO m.2 has been acting up in different ports on the mobo. For example I get the exact same WHEA error:

As I'm dealing with random crashes, bsods etc etc I have removed the drive today fearing it might be broken. I think now that it has to do with BIOS/drivers due to others having similar issues and a fix will soon come. Perhaps ASUS are already working on it or perhaps they see this posts.

Another thing I couldn't do before removing the drive was copy large amount of data from my SN850 to my Samsung or vice versa. It would just stop at 0% transferring and the error would come.

There seems to be some serious bugs to sort out on this new platform. That's a little annoying honestly.

Wrathier wrote:
OMG I'm so happy I found this post. I use an ASUS STRIX Z690 -F Gaming Wifi with a 1TB WD SN850 as main drive.

My other drive a 2TB Samsung 960 PRO m.2 has been acting up in different ports on the mobo. For example I get the exact same WHEA error:

As I'm dealing with random crashes, bsods etc etc I have removed the drive today fearing it might be broken. I think now that it has to do with BIOS/drivers due to others having similar issues and a fix will soon come. Perhaps ASUS are already working on it or perhaps they see this posts.

Another thing I couldn't do before removing the drive was copy large amount of data from my SN850 to my Samsung or vice versa. It would just stop at 0% transferring and the error would come.

There seems to be some serious bugs to sort out on this new platform. That's a little annoying honestly.

This precise WHEA error (Device ID 7AB4) can be fixed by setting PCI Express Native Power Management---to disabled in the advanced PCI Express settings.
It's unclear at this point if this is a BIOS issue, a windows issue or a chipset issue. I do not know if it will address other errors.

Falkentyne wrote:
This precise WHEA error (Device ID 7AB4) can be fixed by setting PCI Express Native Power Management---to disabled in the advanced PCI Express settings.
It's unclear at this point if this is a BIOS issue, a windows issue or a chipset issue. I do not know if it will address other errors.

Ok so a little update to my case. I removed the drive and my PC was stable in PRIME95 for 12 hours and stable in MEMTEST86 for 12 hours. Haven't had a single crash of any kind. I run my Fury Beast 5200 XMP2 and no AI OC as that gives me issues currently.

Since my PC had been running so good, I took a gaming session for 4 hours in Forza Horizon 5 and that always crash with the slightest issue. No crash at all.

I then decided since the machine could be deemed pretty stable after torture tests etc etc and installed the Samsung 960 PRO again. Instantly my Windows started to crash and gave me different blue screens. I was like... f....

I then went into BIOS and set everything possible to PCIE Gen 3 and hoped that would solve the issue. It didn't. Still crashes upon crashes.

I was still able to recreate the WHEA error very easy, just by copying something from 😧 to C: or vice versa.

Now I'm stable again, but ONLY after I removed the Samsung drive again.

Now I'm a bit torn, because I can't really afford a WD 850 1TB more, but I'm pretty tempted to sell the 2TB Samsung 960 PRO and buy a SN drive more and run RAID as this is ridiculous.

I'm wondering how many there like me thinks it's a hardware error such as ram, cpu, mobo etc. My last thought was my freaking hard drive.

2 days I spend before I found the solution and that was in my case to remove the drive.

Now I'm not sure at all when I can expect to be able to INSERT the drive again and use it. Thankfully I don't have anything critical on that drive besides LEGO Avengers and Marvel Superheroes for my kid...

Please keep us posted about progress in this matter.

JeffroMan
Level 9
I too am getting numerous corrected hardware errors reported by the WHEA Logger. I am running the latest Windows 11 update. Z690 Maximus Hero with 0803 BIOS and the latest chipset driver from Intel posted on the Mobo's Asus support page (version 10.1.18838.8284).

This occurs whether if I'm overclocking the cpu or not / XMP enabled or disabled. My error message always refers to PCI Express Root Port #2, hardware i.d. 7ab9, vendor 8086 which is Intel. These errors do not seem to be causing any problems.

For my boot drive I am using a Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD installed in the M.2_1 socket (the one next to the cpu socket). I received those errors before and after I updated the firmware on that drive. I've been receiving those errors before I was using Intel Rapid Storage. Now I'm using Intel Rapid Storage and how often I get that error has not seemed to change.

I've noticed after restarting Windows 11 the amount of these errors is considerably less than after turning on the system after it's been off. Chipset driver issue, BIOS issue?

Also does anyone know how I can determine what the system is using the PCI Express Root Port #2 for?

JeffroMan wrote:
I too am getting numerous corrected hardware errors reported by the WHEA Logger. I am running the latest Windows 11 update. Z690 Maximus Hero with 0803 BIOS and the latest chipset driver from Intel posted on the Mobo's Asus support page (version 10.1.18838.8284).

This occurs whether if I'm overclocking the cpu or not / XMP enabled or disabled. My error message always refers to PCI Express Root Port #2, hardware i.d. 7ab9, vendor 8086 which is Intel. These errors do not seem to be causing any problems.

For my boot drive I am using a Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD installed in the M.2_1 socket (the one next to the cpu socket). I received those errors before and after I updated the firmware on that drive. I've been receiving those errors before I was using Intel Rapid Storage. Now I'm using Intel Rapid Storage and how often I get that error has not seemed to change.

I've noticed after restarting Windows 11 the amount of these errors is considerably less than after turning on the system after it's been off. Chipset driver issue, BIOS issue?

Also does anyone know how I can determine what the system is using the PCI Express Root Port #2 for?

Did you try changing this setting in your BIOS:

PCI Express Native Power Management: To disabled (instead of auto?)