Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero Z690 having issues with getting windows errors and nvme drive not working

Medwynd
Level 8
EDIT:
ASUS has recognized this as an official issue:
Hi all,
For WHEA 17 error, our tech team have reported it and co-work with Intel.
If there is any news, I'll keep updated.
Thank you.

Possible solutions for this issue can be accomplished in one of two ways, both involve turning off PCI Express power management.
1. In windows go to Power Options and change the plan setting to High Performance . You may also be able to just go to the advanced settings and change Link State Power Management to "off"
2. In the BIOS set PCI Express Native Power Management to disabled instead of auto

Trying to track down is this is an issue with the motherboard, the nvme drive, or drivers.

Using windows 11 on a Hero Z690 with a WD sn850 nvme drive.

Occasionally the drive will appear, sometimes it will take a reboot, sometimes it will appear then disappear. Getting these types of error an warning events:

After rebooting I see
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
Description: A corrected hardware error has occurred.
Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7AB4&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_11

Looking in device manager I see that Intel PCI Express Root Port #13 - 7AB4
Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7AB4&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_11\3&11583659&0&EC had a problem starting.

Then later
Source: stornvme
Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort3, was issued.

Source: stornvme
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort3.

Followed by some warning errors on the source disk such as ntfs unable to flush data etc. presumably because the drive no longer has connection or is in some otherwise bad state.

I'm using the latest drivers from the support page for the chipset and everything else.

Any ideas where to start with this? I'm not sure if I have a bad motherboard, a bad nvme drive or possibly just some bad drivers.
234 REPLIES 234

lLegendaary wrote:
Please update your windows again because they fixed the issue related to nvme-ssd performance and detection bugs * win11 .
Sometimes it's related to hardware bugs but I can see most of issue's coming from Windows and blue screen / Log History (bugs) all related to windows 11 and they fixed half of the bugs be patient since windows 11 isn't fully optimized they specially with 12 gen , you will see huge improvements in Intel 13-14 gen intel always having bugs with Microsoft or stuff like bios at first release for new gen .

so , for those who facing the issue please update windows .

And for those who looking to purchase please go for GSKILLS and known nvme atm or just wait for New gen u wont lose anything the idea of waiting for new gen 13 they will release it in 2022 late - is bugs fix and perfomance wise trust me with lower- or same price or might be drop in prices since DDR5x advance will be coming soon with low latency the current DDR5 with CL35 unreasonable

My WINDOWS 11 ar fully updated.

I have 1 GEN.4 GB AORUS - Good stuff
I have 1 GEN.4 Samsung 980 PRO - Good stuff
I have 1 Gen.3 Samsung 960 PRO - Good stuff

I have 2 motherboards with same problems. - I actually have 3 if you include my GB Z690 AORUS PRO.

Regarding the current ram - it is what it is and that is what we could get hold of at this time. Personally I have Fury Beast 5200, no issues I like them.

As some can't even BOOT into Windows if you read a bit of the whole thread, you will come to the conclusion that this has to do with BIOS as much as Windows.

I addition to “update windowsâ€�, I run windows 10. I doubt it’s a OS issue at all. This is on good ol ASUS. I built my first rig with a 2700k. Swapped to gigabyte for a 8700k and 9900k build and finally decided to give Asus another shot. Mistakes were made.Â*

Wrathier wrote:
My WINDOWS 11 ar fully updated.

I have 1 GEN.4 GB AORUS - Good stuff
I have 1 GEN.4 Samsung 980 PRO - Good stuff
I have 1 Gen.3 Samsung 960 PRO - Good stuff

I have 2 motherboards with same problems. - I actually have 3 if you include my GB Z690 AORUS PRO.

Regarding the current ram - it is what it is and that is what we could get hold of at this time. Personally I have Fury Beast 5200, no issues I like them.

As some can't even BOOT into Windows if you read a bit of the whole thread, you will come to the conclusion that this has to do with BIOS as much as Windows.

First of all , I agree with your opinion and that's why i avoid the first generation because this exactly what happen to me on X99 V10 Edition some slot of rams when i oc and fail posting the one of slots not detection the A1 or D1 Rams I've to reset the rams and downclock the cpu to be able to make it work ..

looks like your Hardware related to bios and connectors faulty i highly suggest you to record that on all boards and ask for refund or RMA

better to refund and avoid whole 12 generation and wait for 13 gen ( SEP or October ) good luck

You will see all bugs gone on 13 gen boards with huge enhancement in OC rams with huge advance rams support with enabled huge lane support trust me refund to avoid pain just wait for 7 months u'll be happy use normal hardware for now

Do you believe that my z690 formula is faulty or it’s just a software based issue.Â*Â*

ProJewks wrote:
Do you believe that my z690 formula is faulty or it’s just a software based issue.Â*Â*

Personally I thought it was faulty in my case until I got my second board. As I'm rahter stubborn I decided to buy a board more, though from Gigabyte and are also one of them encountering the issues on that board. - Even with a Gigabyte Gen 4 drive.

Thinking that 3 different M.2 drives are faulty, 3 motherboards and a lot of other users with same issues also just happen to have 4 faulty m.2 slots on their boards seems - well I have 3 boards that is 12 M.2 slots. Most here have 1 board with 4 M.2 slots. So already in this thread we have like 100 M.2 faulty slots in that case.

For me that sounds impossible.

You are welcome to RMA your board, but changes are rather big, that it will just waste your time.

Personally, I have found a working solution: Removed NVMe drives, bought a SATA SSD and will use that temporary and to not go in a complete loss I will save it for my 5 years old first computer when he gets a little older.

Is that a good solution? No, but being without computer and rebuilding twice a week since release of the motherboards was not a good solution either.

I bought at release so I can't return CPU or RAM etc so personally I'm rather stuck with this crap. I also sold my old build just in order to be able to afford this new build so I don't even have that. I only have laptops to use when my rig is not working.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to do.... I don't really feel like I can sell the board with these issues and I can't exchange it either. I'm going to return my new GB AORUS PRO MB and my new GB AORUS NVMe as that didn't fix my issues.

I have been testing the machine with Furmark + IntelBurnIn, OCCT you name it to push the PSU as extremely as possible with no crashes. I have deactivated EVERYTING not essential like fanhubs etc, but I keep running into issues with this.

Today I tried to get the GB NVMe up running and even that Windows intalled the NVMe driver BIOS can't see the drive.

EasyUS Partition Magic I have can see 69ish GB of the 1TB NVMe drive, but can't format it as "it's in use".

I don't want to reinstall Windows for the 10th time. I have spend many many many hours just reinstalling and testing new boards, new drivers you name it.

I was supposed to have tested CPU System Agent Voltage increase today, but as I can't find the drive in ANY of my 4 NVMe ports on the ASUS board so I can't even play with that and I honestly don't feel for swapping MB again right now.

So I'm straight out of ideas right now. Waiting for my Samsung 980 NVMe I asked for instead of the WD SN850, but I don't think I will have that before around 10 days or so.

But we are not alone: https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUSROG/comments/qy77dc/strix_z690i_m2_2_nvme_not_detected/

Yeah I’m not going to bother. I’ve RMA’d before, but it was complete failure. The fact that I was able to boot and then updated bios because XMP issues and now I can’t see drives leads me to believe it’s software. I just ordered Sabrent gen 4 NVMEs. Will attempt to put OS on it and see if it works. Hopefully will try it out later today.Â*

Wrathier wrote:
Personally I thought it was faulty in my case until I got my second board. As I'm rahter stubborn I decided to buy a board more, though from Gigabyte and are also one of them encountering the issues on that board. - Even with a Gigabyte Gen 4 drive.

Thinking that 3 different M.2 drives are faulty, 3 motherboards and a lot of other users with same issues also just happen to have 4 faulty m.2 slots on their boards seems - well I have 3 boards that is 12 M.2 slots. Most here have 1 board with 4 M.2 slots. So already in this thread we have like 100 M.2 faulty slots in that case.

For me that sounds impossible.

You are welcome to RMA your board, but changes are rather big, that it will just waste your time.

Personally, I have found a working solution: Removed NVMe drives, bought a SATA SSD and will use that temporary and to not go in a complete loss I will save it for my 5 years old first computer when he gets a little older.

Is that a good solution? No, but being without computer and rebuilding twice a week since release of the motherboards was not a good solution either.

I bought at release so I can't return CPU or RAM etc so personally I'm rather stuck with this crap. I also sold my old build just in order to be able to afford this new build so I don't even have that. I only have laptops to use when my rig is not working.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to do.... I don't really feel like I can sell the board with these issues and I can't exchange it either. I'm going to return my new GB AORUS PRO MB and my new GB AORUS NVMe as that didn't fix my issues.

I have been testing the machine with Furmark + IntelBurnIn, OCCT you name it to push the PSU as extremely as possible with no crashes. I have deactivated EVERYTING not essential like fanhubs etc, but I keep running into issues with this.

Today I tried to get the GB NVMe up running and even that Windows intalled the NVMe driver BIOS can't see the drive.

EasyUS Partition Magic I have can see 69ish GB of the 1TB NVMe drive, but can't format it as "it's in use".

I don't want to reinstall Windows for the 10th time. I have spend many many many hours just reinstalling and testing new boards, new drivers you name it.

I was supposed to have tested CPU System Agent Voltage increase today, but as I can't find the drive in ANY of my 4 NVMe ports on the ASUS board so I can't even play with that and I honestly don't feel for swapping MB again right now.

So I'm straight out of ideas right now. Waiting for my Samsung 980 NVMe I asked for instead of the WD SN850, but I don't think I will have that before around 10 days or so.

But we are not alone: https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUSROG/comments/qy77dc/strix_z690i_m2_2_nvme_not_detected/

The comments on the linked Reddit thread gave me the idea to move my SN850 SSD to the M.2_1 socket. Since then, I have yet to experience a crash from normal day-to-day use. I haven't had time to stress test it yet, but the stability improvement I've observed is encouraging.

sublym0nal wrote:
The comments on the linked Reddit thread gave me the idea to move my SN850 SSD to the M.2_1 socket. Since then, I have yet to experience a crash from normal day-to-day use. I haven't had time to stress test it yet, but the stability improvement I've observed is encouraging.

I had some luck before sorting it was running "stable" a few days here and there, I mean I completed Windows install and started to install my stuff and games, but then all the problems just kept coming back. . Now I'm stable again today so 4 days now. 3 days without event viewer removing my drives was a record and today is a new record.

Should it for some reason change I will of course instantly update the post.

- I use 3 NVMe slots now.

--------------

5 days now.

Ok, so the new board saw all the drives. Installed fresh boot of W11. Can’t enable XMP on 0803. A bit paranoid to update bios in case all the issues happen again.Â*

I’m assuming that my board was the main culprit in that it was defective. Currently installing monitoring software and updating drivers and will do some load testing. Hopefully no crashes.Â*

Update (6:35PM EST):
Computer boots up normally but as soon as I update the nvidia 3090 drivers, the computer gets into a boot loop and then fails to boot into windows. The only solution is to boot into safe mode and uninstall the drivers. Then it will boot normally with the generic video drivers. *

So far have tried version 1003, no change. Changed power management, still no boot. At least I can see the drives and I can get into the OS I just can’t use my GPU with updated drivers.. any ideas?

lLegendaary wrote:
Please update your windows again because they fixed the issue related to nvme-ssd performance and detection bugs * win11 .
Sometimes it's related to hardware bugs but I can see most of issue's coming from Windows and blue screen / Log History (bugs) all related to windows 11 and they fixed half of the bugs be patient since windows 11 isn't fully optimized they specially with 12 gen , you will see huge improvements in Intel 13-14 gen intel always having bugs with Microsoft or stuff like bios at first release for new gen .

so , for those who facing the issue please update windows .

And for those who looking to purchase please go for GSKILLS and known nvme atm or just wait for New gen u wont lose anything the idea of waiting for new gen 13 they will release it in 2022 late - is bugs fix and perfomance wise trust me with lower- or same price or might be drop in prices since DDR5x advance will be coming soon with low latency the current DDR5 with CL35 unreasonable

All updates installed and on insider build. Still having issues.