Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero Z690 having issues with getting windows errors and nvme drive not working

Medwynd
Level 8
EDIT:
ASUS has recognized this as an official issue:
Hi all,
For WHEA 17 error, our tech team have reported it and co-work with Intel.
If there is any news, I'll keep updated.
Thank you.

Possible solutions for this issue can be accomplished in one of two ways, both involve turning off PCI Express power management.
1. In windows go to Power Options and change the plan setting to High Performance . You may also be able to just go to the advanced settings and change Link State Power Management to "off"
2. In the BIOS set PCI Express Native Power Management to disabled instead of auto

Trying to track down is this is an issue with the motherboard, the nvme drive, or drivers.

Using windows 11 on a Hero Z690 with a WD sn850 nvme drive.

Occasionally the drive will appear, sometimes it will take a reboot, sometimes it will appear then disappear. Getting these types of error an warning events:

After rebooting I see
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
Description: A corrected hardware error has occurred.
Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7AB4&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_11

Looking in device manager I see that Intel PCI Express Root Port #13 - 7AB4
Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7AB4&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_11\3&11583659&0&EC had a problem starting.

Then later
Source: stornvme
Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort3, was issued.

Source: stornvme
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort3.

Followed by some warning errors on the source disk such as ntfs unable to flush data etc. presumably because the drive no longer has connection or is in some otherwise bad state.

I'm using the latest drivers from the support page for the chipset and everything else.

Any ideas where to start with this? I'm not sure if I have a bad motherboard, a bad nvme drive or possibly just some bad drivers.
234 REPLIES 234

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
WHEA will be system instability-related. I'm assuming the CPU or memory is overclocked? This includes XMP memory profiles.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I too have an issue with Windows 11 + Z690 hero and SN850 2tb in the lower PCI4.0 m.2 slot not detecting sometimes in windows.
Sometime I need to restart to get drive to detect.
My main drive is also a SN850 1TB and I have 0 issues with it.
I think this is a Bios issue.

Happened on Bios 803 also happened when I first installed windows 11 on Bios 702.
XMP 1 enabled.
I also get a WHEA-Logger Error Event ID 1 hardware failure, but seem to have 0 issues in windows, not sure that is even related.
This Error only happens from cold boot.
0 issues in device manager.

Juice2643 wrote:
I too have an issue with Windows 11 + Z690 hero and SN850 2tb in the lower PCI4.0 m.2 slot not detecting sometimes in windows.
Sometime I need to restart to get drive to detect.
My main drive is also a SN850 1TB and I have 0 issues with it.
I think this is a Bios issue.

Happened on Bios 803 also happened when I first installed windows 11 on Bios 702.
XMP 1 enabled.
I also get a WHEA-Logger Error Event ID 1 hardware failure, but seem to have 0 issues in windows, not sure that is even related.
This Error only happens from cold boot.
0 issues in device manager.

This is my exact configuration as well. SN850 1TB in the M.2_1 socket, SN850 2TB in the M.2_3 socket. Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 on XMP1. Windows installed on the 1TB and has 0 issues. I also have a SATA SSD installed that has 0 issues.

I too am using Windows 11 on Bios 803.

I have gone into power management and set my power profile to High Performance to see if that makes the instability go away.

Reproducing the issue has been difficult, I cant seem to find what triggers it and I dont know if when windows doesnt see it if it was recognized by the BIOS at all that reboot.

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
WHEA will be system instability-related. I'm assuming the CPU or memory is overclocked? This includes XMP memory profiles.

No overclock on the cpu, ai tuner is disabled, but yes using XMP1 on my memory.

Medwynd wrote:
No overclock on the cpu, ai tuner is disabled, but yes using XMP1 on my memory.

Hi,

You will need to check if either stop code persists with XMP disabled, as this constitutes as overclocking
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:

Silentscone, I'm getting the exact same WHEA error.
It doesn't cause crashes or instability. It's always in "7AB4" ID.
This points to the "NVM Express driver", by searching for the matching ID in device manager.

I mentioned this to Shamino before. The common factor is this seems to be happening to most/all systems with Western Digital SN850 drives + Asus Z690 boards.
Setting the drive to "Gen 3" on the dimm_2 stops all of these WHEA errors.

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Ok, thanks for the info. Can you confirm whether that drive causes issues with AIDA64, too?

I don't have an SN850 to hand

I'd be curious if running a CPU-Z validation triggers a WHEA error as well.

I have a very similar issue/error when I plug my Sound Blaster AE-7 into any PCIEX slot. Running a CPU-Z validation with the AE-7 installed triggers a PCIEX WHEA error. Otherwise the AE-7 is fine/stable. If I disable the PCIEX port in Device Manager, the validation runs without a problem.

Almost seems a PCIEX chipset/driver issue.

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Ok, thanks for the info. Can you confirm whether that drive causes issues with AIDA64, too?

I don't have an SN850 to hand

No it's completely random. The errors get logged in windows event viewer (eventvwr.msc).

It can happen if I'm sitting around doing nothing all night, drive idle at 30C with no activity at all.
Although it's more common when I'm doing something. (That drive is my Steam drive, so it's often idle as I'm spending more time studying chess than playing something on steam).

The drive is on the dimm_2 riser along with a Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB drive. It's a 2 TB SN850 I bought earlier this summer.

No problems whatsoever with it set to Gen 3, no WHEA's. Only when it's set to "Auto" or "Gen 4".

To follow up on my original post, I have had zero loss of functionality from the drive ever since I changed the power profile to the high performance setting. It has been over a week now with no issues. Zero other settings, either in windows or in the bios were made. No drivers were changed in that time period. No firmwares updated. Some games were installed but that was the only change besides changing the power profile.