cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JX SSD upgrade, Laptop boots to BIOS when plugged in, will boot if unplugged

cck101
Level 7
Asus ROG G750JX (old girl), recently installed a new SSD (samsung SATA 2.5 870EVO), issue has started since the install, have kept 1 of the original hard drives as extra space and using the SSD for window and all major programs, performed a full wipe of system and fresh load of windows 10 on SSD. Laptop will boot to BIOS and not see the SSD if plugged in, can unplug and start unit right away with no issues, laptop works great and really fast now other then the start up with plugged in, properly boot priority it set to SSD, when unit boots with out plug in. Also noticed after shut off laptop seems to kill the battery now (next start battery is low), battery was replace about a year ago. With both my old harddrive in laptop does not have this issue (just painfully slow...) Looks like there are tons of these forms but but no solution for this one, no external connections on laptop, Bios is at highest rev 210, have downloaded Samsung magician and update SSD, have attempted changing the location of SSD compared to the hard drive, attempted to clear cache's, disabled fast boot, turned off secureboot, windows start up repair finds nothing, tried the disconnect with 30 second power hold, gone through power settings and don't see anything off, even tried a second reset today, still no change, just recently called Samsung, they sent me a new SSD, installed with the Same issue…..really loosing hope for this. Any ideas would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

Alvez_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello:
Good day, after confirmed compatible device what we test is lite-on 256G SSD and kingston 256G SSD, I will suggest 512G SSD is the maximum capacity for this model.
As you mentioned this model is getting on in years. Second, you mentioned you kept original HDD for a backup drive. Did you earase all the boot partition of this disk?
When you have two boot device and you didn't make a boot menu before go into system, laptop will be mess up which one is main boot device. I am not saying to earse your
important personal data, but move all the file to other HDD, then format this original one to make sure it only have a simple logic partition. And you can transfer your file back.
Thanks you

Alvez@ROG wrote:
Hello:
Good day, after confirmed compatible device what we test is lite-on 256G SSD and kingston 256G SSD, I will suggest 512G SSD is the maximum capacity for this model.
As you mentioned this model is getting on in years. Second, you mentioned you kept original HDD for a backup drive. Did you earase all the boot partition of this disk?
When you have two boot device and you didn't make a boot menu before go into system, laptop will be mess up which one is main boot device. I am not saying to earse your
important personal data, but move all the file to other HDD, then format this original one to make sure it only have a simple logic partition. And you can transfer your file back.
Thanks you

So possibly the 512G is a bit to much for it? Just weird that it seems to run amazing and no issues while on. Its just when shut off then started up while plugged it, it does not recognize the SSD, and then killing the battery on top of everything.

In regards to the old HDD, unit had 2, my original #1 HDD that housed my main boot and all initial files I have pulled out, and kept my #2 HDD that came with the laptop (housed no real files) for my back up dirve, also performed a full whip of HDD before installing new SSD.

Even when running only my SSD with no HDD by it self it acts the same.

Alvez_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello
Okay, thank for your sharing to let me understand there is not possible effect about booting priority.
Capacity is a simple index make us easily to judge compatibility issue between different generation control IC of SSD HDD.
Did you try other settings in BIOS such as enable/diable CSM or adjust sata configuration?
I am not sure it's possible to install different operating system to try. For example windows 7, just want to know may UEFI is the key fect or not.