cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[G703]Win11 Installation issue

Blake1
Level 10
Dear all,
This thread is for G703 Windows 11 official version installation issue only.
If you have a different model, please open a new thread.
If you are not using the official version, please contact Microsoft.

Please kindly share your installation process.
By Installation Assistant, Installation Media or ISO file.
If there is any video or screenshot of the error, please share with us.

Thank you very much.
44 REPLIES 44

Battleskar
Level 7
As I have repeatedly reported for over 2 months now, the G703GXR (probably G703 platform) will not boot if updated to either Win 10, 21H2 or Win 11.
it goes through normal installation/upgrade process, but when it's time to boot up under updated Windows version, it goes through post, strobes the USB devices (external keyboard, drives, other devices with lighting flash through), then HDD activity, and right when it should continue on to loading Windows with the SCoD (spinning circle of dots), it hangs. No response from any key presses, have to physically power off the machine, then power it back up, at which point, it rolls back to the prior OS version.

From running a microsoft tool that reads the failed update logs, it appears that the Intel storage controller is either not initializing properly, or the driver is completely missing as it states that the hard drives are missing.

If I use Microsoft's Media Creation tool, either DVD-DL or Flash Drive, and attempt to boot from either media, it hangs just like it does post upgrade.

Sven28
Level 7
I have the same platform with exactly the same issues described above

Blake1
Level 10
Dear both,
Just to share my experience with you.
I found a G703GX (sorry this is the only one I can find right away).
It was on Win 10 1809, BIOS 304, clean OS from factory.
What I did first is running Windows update and update it to 1903.
Then I thought it is taking too long so I used the Win10 installation assistant to update the laptop to 21H1.
And again I used the Win11 installation assistant to upgrade to Win11. You can find the tool from below Microsoft website.
https://www.microsoft.com/zh-tw/software-download/windows11
It took a while, but it gradually upgrade successfully. Please refer to below picture.

Can you help to try the installation assistant?
And let me know your current Win10 version and BIOS version.
Then if the installation assistant stop, please take a screenshot and share with me,
Thank you very much.

Blake@ROG wrote:
Dear both,
Just to share my experience with you.
I found a G703GX (sorry this is the only one I can find right away).
It was on Win 10 1809, BIOS 304, clean OS from factory.
What I did first is running Windows update and update it to 1903.
Then I thought it is taking too long so I used the Win10 installation assistant to update the laptop to 21H1.
And again I used the Win11 installation assistant to upgrade to Win11. You can find the tool from below Microsoft website.
https://www.microsoft.com/zh-tw/software-download/windows11
It took a while, but it gradually upgrade successfully. Please refer to below picture.

Can you help to try the installation assistant?
And let me know your current Win10 version and BIOS version.
Then if the installation assistant stop, please take a screenshot and share with me,
Thank you very much.

Update the BIOS from 304 to 313 which is current and start over from Win 10.
That BIOS is deplorably outdated...
Upgrade it...

Hi, i have exactly the same issue as with Gustave. After many attempts of installing Win11 from Insider Program to Official release, it always ends up getting stuck in the Asus logo. All my drivers are updated including bios (308). Hopefully you can help us find a fix on this. Been struggling for more than 2months now. 😞

Sven28
Level 7
Edition Windows 10 Pro

Hello,
I tried all the installation options. It installs ... but ... the system does not boot.
Below you will find the windows version and the bios number

Version 21H1
Installed on ‎19-‎Aug-‎21
OS build 19043.1288
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0
Bios 308

Already on most recent Win 10 21H1 release. Using upgrade assistant to keep current within the 21H1 release tree works fine.
Trying to go to Win11 with upgrade assistant won't boot.
Trying to go to win11 using Microsoft's WindowsSunValleyInstaller tool, also fails to boot.
Using the media creation tool to create a usb flash drive or dvd-dl, attempting to boot from either also fails to boot.

I've tried stripping the laptop down to the single OS NVMe drive, everything else removed, still no boot.
I've tried changing the BIOS to ACHI/SATA mode instead of advanced RST mode, still no boot.
I've tried resetting the TPM certificates to factory, still no boot.
I've tried resetting the BIOS to factory defaults, still no boot.
I've tried reinstalling Win 10 to the 20H2 release and then upgrading, still no boot.
I've tried rolling the BIOS from 308 back to 307, still no boot.

I've tested the same installation media on my other ASUS laptop (not a G703GXR), it boots just fine.

Sven28 wrote:
Edition Windows 10 Pro

Hello,
I tried all the installation options. It installs ... but ... the system does not boot.
Below you will find the windows version and the bios number

Version 21H1
Installed on ‎19-‎Aug-‎21
OS build 19043.1288
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0
Bios 308

Hello Sven,
Which installation option did you try?
and system does not boot means stuck at ASUS logo? can not enter desktop?
or only black screen? does the power LED light up?
Does long press power button for 40 second works?
Thank you.

Sven28
Level 7
The Media Creator tool, flash drive and dvd, and Windows 11 Installation Assistant all fail to boot completely.
The system crashes and does not respond to anything.
I can not enter in desktop and the power LED light up
Yes I reset the BIOS by pressing the power button for 40 seconds.

Thank you