cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G15 Advantage Edition (G513QY) WIFI problems MediaTek MT7921

CRJ84
Level 9
I just bought this laptop today, and really love it, but the WI-FI problems is really bad.

Sometimes it will run at speeds like 250-300 mbps, but not very often, and then drop to 100mbps or even lower like 8-10 mbps.
It also gives really high latency so it is impossible to play online games.

I have tried different drivers
3.0.1.1185 found these on another site

I also found another thread where someone suggested to install AsusMultiAntennaService_Z_V3.1.3 I have also tried that, but not sure how I can confirm it installed correctly.

I have my old laptop and phone connected to the same WIFI, doing 300-400mbps no problems.
Placed in the same location as my new Asus Strix Advantage laptop.

Not sure if I should return the laptop? Or can anyone help?
24 REPLIES 24

RedSector73
Level 12
If your new and what to try, this is basically the layout you have to deal with and figure it out (watch the video), if this looks too hard get a shop to do it. Do what you comfortable with and meets keeping warranty in your country.

https://laptopmedia.com/au/highlights/inside-asus-tuf-a17-fa706-amd-ryzen-7-4800h-disassembly-and-up...

unplugged_
Level 8
CRJ84 wrote:
I just bought this laptop today, and really love it, but the WI-FI problems is really bad.

Sometimes it will run at speeds like 250-300 mbps, but not very often, and then drop to 100mbps or even lower like 8-10 mbps.

I also found another thread where someone suggested to install AsusMultiAntennaService_Z_V3.1.3 I have also tried that, but not sure how I can confirm it installed correctly.

I have my old laptop and phone connected to the same WIFI, doing 300-400mbps no problems.

Check my post history. I had the same problem and I was convinced that this was a hardware issue. Turns out this might very well be a driver issue. I updated the drivers to 3.0.1.1167 which I found on this forum. To find them, you can try searching this in the forum searchbar:

- MediaTek WiFi Drivers (Drivers Only) :
Drivers : 3.0.1.1167 WHQL [09/07/2021]

That fixed the issue for the 5Ghz network but the 2.4Ghz speed was still bad and after some digging around and messing around in the adapter settings, I found that if I turn off Bluetooth, I get full speed. Hope this helps. I was worried that I would have to either return this amazing laptop or change the wifi card and void the warranty, but fortunately, my issue is fixed now.

Let me know if that helps.

unplugged_ wrote:
change the wifi card and void the warranty

Does NOT void warranty on the laptop at all.
I wonder then, if in changing the RAM or M2 or adding SSD void your warranty, god help you if you actually build desktop computer then, they must surely have zero warranty on that, if you can say this voids warranty.

If changing something that can be removed from laptop voids warranty, then you serisouly have to wonder why your allowed to change or add anything at all ?

CRJ84
Level 9
I wil try the 3.0.1.1167 drivers.

I also found this thread with newer version of the drivers.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?124328-DRIVERS-MediaTek-WiFi-Bluetooth&highlight=MediaTek+...
3.0.1.1198 WHQL [16/08/2021]

Blake1
Level 10
Hello CRJ84,
You are able to check the ASUS MultiAntenna Service version in your Apps&Features list
(Settings>Apps)
Let me know if the V3.1.3 helps you.
Thank you.

I opened a ticket for my ROG Zephyrus Duo 15 ( GX551QR ) because I was plagued by Wifi issues. I installed latest drivers and still had issues. Support wanted me to do the basic troubleshooting and then re-install the OS. (I repeat, reinstall OS on a brand new laptop with Wifi issues from the start; already did lots of basic troubleshooting)

I bought a AX210NGW from Amazon and it did not work (Windows didn't even detect new card). I saw lots of forums that this should work on other Asus laptops, so I asked for a replacement from Amazon and the next one worked no problem. I am now getting much better speed an consistency. I still see 2 bars here and there, but I am still getting 100M+ on those 2 bars and internet is fast in general. I will report if anything changes, but so far, so good.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NSSJNV1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Thanks

killedbyping
Level 7
CRJ84 wrote:

If you rly like laptop do not return. Because if you just purchase same Laptop it will come with same MediaTek MT7921 wifi\bluetooth card most likely which is the case here. This card is just bad. Literaly every Laptop users with this card onboard complain about same issues. And im talking about literaly every laptop. Not just Asus.
I would suggest contact warranty service and probably they will replace it with Intel AX200 or AX210 card which work just perfeclty. AX200 was the card installed on 2020 year model's and never had any issues.
I had no time to do so, because of incoming move into another country so i just swapped mine myself. Installed Intel AX210 and it work perfectly. Even Bluetooth devices no come online almost instantly unlike with 20-30 seconds delay after Windows start like when i had MT7921.

I hope the fact Asus put such trash WiFi card instead of decent one (Intel AX210 worth only 30$, AX200 even less) into 2k+$ worth of a device is only because of Intel cards shortage. Overwise this move have no exuce.

I recently noticed a similar problem with MT7921 on my ROG G17QR.

The problem appears that sometimes the connection seems very laggy.

I focused the problems between my PC and the router.
(ie I don't have any problems using wired connection nor using another PCs in the same position).

I am also able to easily evaluate the problem by pinging the router itself:
'ping -n 20 '

I awfully started with a shaming average of 60-80 ms...

... after several hours of investigation, I switched off 'Wifi SmartConnect' and 'TaskFirst' from MyAsus app... and magically I am on fair averages of 2-3ms .

Actually, I am using the latest released driver (v3.0.1.1246).

Is there anyone else experiencing similar problems?

sbordoni
Level 7
Today I experienced the problem again.

Uninstalling the driver, and installing it again seems to fix it... but i also reinstalled the bluetooth ones.

Then... accidentally I discovered new Mediatek drivers in Windows Catalog itself, and installed them.

Up to now, they are all more recent than the official ones:
- 'Mediatek Inc. Bluetooth v22.30.2.183' (vs the official ones v1.3.15.142_27994)
- 'Mediatek Inc. Net v22.30.1.1342' (vs the official ones v3.00.01.1264Sub1_30243)

I had no problem during the update of the previous drivers, and up to now, they seem quite promising...

sbordoni wrote:
Today I experienced the problem again... they seem quite promising...

Drop Intel AX210 in it and never think about this again, because the problem is solved.