cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fluctuating Asus AI overclocks

JcRabbit
Level 10
I have a 12900K with an Asus Z690 Extreme motherboard (bios 811) and a Ryujin II AIO and recently decided to enable AI Overclocking in the BIOS.

Up until then the stock CPU core speed in Windows 11 at idle was 4900 Mhz, as reported by CPU-Z. With AI Overclocking enabled, the idle core frequency jumped to 5300 Mhz, so a 400 MHz overclock (voltage and therefore idle and load temperatures also increased by a lot, of course).

I'm not sure if it happened during the first or second reboot after enabling AI Overclock, but I got startled by a message from the BIOS stating that it had collected enough samples for my cooler and if I wanted to turn cooler performance prediction off (something like that, don't remember the exact words). I said No because ambient temperatures have been fluctuating a bit here and I wanted the algorithm to keep learning with the overclock. Perhaps this was a mistake.

What I have noticed since then is that the actual overclock fluctuates A LOT every time I wake my PC up from sleep. Sometimes it will idle at 5300 Mhz, otherwise at 5200 Mhz, but I have seen it go as low as 5000 Mhz. This idle frequency will remain constant until I either reboot the PC or wake it up from sleep again (PC is always on).

When idle frequency is 5300 MHz, Vcore will usually be around 1.47v, at 5200 MHz, Vcore is around 1.4v. Personally I think an overclock to 5200 MHz is the best balance between temperatures and higher frequencies.

The day I saw the AI overclock go all the way down to 5,000 MHz and remain there, I ran Cinebench for a handful of minutes and the next time the PC woke up from sleep the overclock was back up to 5,300 MHz.

So, my questions are:

1. Why so much fluctuation in terms of the automatic AI overclock? Is it because I told it to keep sampling the cooler? Should I tell it to stop sampling it in the BIOS or is it actually better/safer to let the system decide what is the best overclock at any given time based on whatever the algorithm tells it to (ambient temperature might have something to do with it, perhaps) ?

2. Is there any way to "lock" the AI overclock to 5200Mhz or is that accomplished simply by telling it to stop sampling the performance of the AIO cooler?

3. As I said, at 5,300 Mhz vCore goes all the way up to 1.47v. Is there an option in the BIOS to provide a slight negative offset to this voltage to keep temperatures at load a bit more under control (of course, I would then have to test to make sure the system still remains stable at the lower voltage).
7 REPLIES 7

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi JcRabbit,
How often did you see it go as low as 5000 Mhz after wake the pc up from sleep? like once in three times
Does it occur with bios all default settings and only enabling AI overclock?
Did you only see once the AI overclock go all the way down to 5000 MHz and remain there, and was not back up to 5300 MHz or 5200 MHz although you reboot the PC or wake it up from sleep again? Finally, you ran Cinebench for a handful of minutes and the next time the pc woke up from sleep the overclock was back up to 5300 MHz?

May I have the following information?
- the serial number of your motherboard via PM
- the brand and model name of your ram, graphics card, PSU and OS drive
(Please check the specific model name of ram such as G.SKILL F4-4600C18D-16GTRG.)
- Is your AIO ROG RYUJIN II 360 ARGB?
- OS version and OS build
- AI Suite 3 version

Thank you.

Hi STARRAIN! 🙂

While I appreciate the reply and the request for more info, would it be possible for you to also answer the 3 questions in my initial post, please? 🙂

I've enabled AI overclock a couple of weeks ago, and I only saw the overclock go down to 5000 MHz at idle ONCE in all this time, with each day having multiple sleep/wake up cycles. It's also possible that it was 5100 MHz and not 5000, my memory is a bit fuzzy about that, but I know it was one of the two.

It didn't really bother me much because it only happened once, as I said, and it was quickly corrected by running CineBench for a few minutes and then either rebooting or putting the system to sleep and waking it up again. I remember the frequency went right back up to either 5300 or 5200 after doing that (I think it was the former but can't be sure) and it has remained oscillating between these two since then. Right now it's 5200 MHz, for instance.

Also and to be clear, when I say it stays at a certain frequency I mean that is the frequency continuously reported by CPU-Z while nothing other than the normal Windows background processes are running.

As for your remaining questions:

1. I will send you the motherboard's SN by PM right after posting this (luckily I kept the original box of the Z60 Maximus Extreme lol).

2. I really don't want to set the BIOS to default unless I absolutely have to. This said, I did not change anything related to CPU overclocking. All I did was enable the XMP profile for the memory and I ran the 12900K stock for months to make sure the RAM was 100% stable. I also enabled Rebar a few weeks ago. The BIOS (811) is still the original BIOS that came with the motherboard (why fix it if it ain't broke?).

3. RAM: 64 GB total, 2 x 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5200Mhz (CMT64GX5M2B5200C40)
GPU: Asus ROG Strix 3090 OC
PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W Platinum
OS DRIVE: Seagate Firecuda 530 NVMe 2TB

4. My AIO is a ROG RYUJIN II 360 **non-RGB** (the one with the Noctua Industrial fans)

5. Windows 11 21H2 OS Build 22000.978 (but that might change tomorrow as I am about to install the 2H22 release)

6. Not running AI Suite. Running whatever is the latest version of Armoury Crate.

Thanks!

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi JcRabbit,
Thank you for your reply.
I'll consult our tech team more about it.
Thank you.

Thanks!

In the mean time I had to reduce the overclock AI Overlocking was applying to my system, as - although the system ran stable at all other times - often Windows would immediately BSOD with a 'Watchdog Violation' when starting a benchmark like CineBench (spike in voltages, spike in temperatures with the AIO not having time to catch up? No idea).

The way I did this actually answered my second question: in the BIOS I reduced the Cooler Optimism scale from 100 to 91 and this prevents AI Overclock from going overboard, keeping the overclock (and load temperatures) well under control for the time being.

Might try a value of 95 in the future, but with the AI overclock rarely staying consistent I'm afraid for the stability of my system (and, believe it or not since I'm overclocking it, I'm a developer and this is a productions system, so I actually need it to remain stable at all times lol).

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi JcRabbit,
Thank you for your reply.
I'll consult our tech team more about it.
Thank you.

Hi again!

So, any feedback on this?

Despite setting the Cooler Optimism setting to 91, lately AI Overclock has been going overboard again with CPU core voltages in the range of 1.45v. This makes the temperature of some cores immediately shot up to 100C when running something like Cinebench. Not what I want for a healthy and stable overclock.

Changing Cooler Optimism seems to have helped but obviously hasn't solved the problem. I would like to reign AI Overclock in a bit and keep it that way, so I can keep temps (and frequencies) under control.

Surely someone in your team knows how to do this?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi JcRabbit,
Sorry we haven't got feedback from tech team.
We will follow up and keep you updated if there is any news.
Thank you.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi JcRabbit,
Sorry for late reply.
The cooler samples will affect the CPU parameter setting value given by AI overclocking. After the detection is stopped, the cooler's score will remain at the value of the last detection. Depending on this value, the CPU frequency given by AI overclocking will vary. However, the issue you mentioned is not related to sampling. Our tech team suggest update to bios 1720.
Also, if you think voltage is too high, you can adjust it in bios settings.
Thank you.