cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix to coilwhine on Maximus Hero XIII

Dave2150
Level 7
EDITED - now completed fixed. Update BIOS to latest, go to Advanced in UEFI, find acoustic management options, and try the following settings:

Enjoy!
110 REPLIES 110

Ataemonus
Level 11
That is not a BETA version BIOS, it is Alpha version 🙂 I think that is whay 00 at the begining of the version number means.
As for the coil whine, do not hold your breath, I think all boards have it. My M13H has it, my Z590 TUF Plus WiFi has it as well, in the very same conditions. Thing is, they have totally different VRMs, starting with the controller and ending with the actual coils, powerstages, capacitors, everything is different, except for the coil whine.

Can confirm also getting coil while on STRIX Z590-E, 0704 Beta BIOS, 11700K set at 52,52,51,51,50,50,50,50.

Not so bad on the desktop, noticeable when opening web pages, virtually constant while gaming though. Sounds like crickets.

I don't wanna sound weird, but something is really wrong with the Z590 Asus motherboards and Rocket Lake.
Don't get me wrong, i love Asus products and their quality. But i didn't have coil whine in the beginning, until i installed the i7-11700K.
Then problems start appearing and getting worse day after day...

Don't know what is going on, but it feels like the CPU is actually causing damage / degredation to the VRMs of the motherboard, or the motherboard just can't properly handle the CPU. I mean i have no other explanation.

I also don't like the fact that Bios updates take that long, with many things still not working properly, and the latest one being *BETA*.

And then this:

"ASUS does not give any warranties, whether express or limited, as to the suitability, compatibility, or usability of the UEFI, its firmware or any of its content. Except as provided in the Product warranty and to the maximum extent permitted by law, ASUS is not responsible for direct, special, incidental or consequential damages resulting from using this beta BIOS."

I don't know, it's just weird.

EncodeGR wrote:
I don't wanna sound weird, but something is really wrong with the Z590 Asus motherboards and Rocket Lake.
Don't get me wrong, i love Asus products and their quality. But i didn't have coil whine in the beginning, until i installed the i7-11700K.
Then problems start appearing and getting worse day after day...

If I understand, you ran a 10th Gen processor on the board for a while? I suppose some thought might be given to that situation being involved with your system.

I guess I am lucky, I do not have the coil whine and I never ran a 10th Gen on this board.

I did not purchase this board until a couple of weeks after the 11th Gen processors were released. I got the impression this board was not available for about two weeks just before I purchased it. Perhaps some changes were made in the assembly line..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Ataemonus
Level 11
I tried quite a few Z590 motherboards from ASUS, they ALL, without exception, had/have coil whine. I very much doubt there are some that have no coil whine, perhaps one just does not hear it.
It's there with 10th gen, with 11th gen, no matter, and it's quite faint in normal situations, but obvious when the CPU runs at Turbo speeds but with low or no load, hence low VCore. Like...High Performance power scheme and idle, or some such scenario.
Also, as I mentioned above, it does not seem to be related to the componentes used in the VRM.
If I were to speculate, I would say it's related to how the high frequency and low VCore are handled by BIOS, and could be fixed with a BIOS updated, OR could simply be how Intel design specs are.

TasmaN
Level 8
BIOS 0707 (Hero XIII) - no changes, coil whine still here.....I hope it can be fixed by new bios...don't want to make RMA and spend time....

Shamino
https://www.overclock.net/threads/overclocking-11700k-11900k-results-bins-and-discussion.1777365/pos...
0801 adds acoustic noise mitigation option, search for it,
enable it and
try slow slew rate fast/4

Shamino wrote:
https://www.overclock.net/threads/overclocking-11700k-11900k-results-bins-and-discussion.1777365/pos...
enable it and

Acoustic Noise Mitigation - Enabled
IA VR Domain - True or False/ Fast/4
GT VR Domain - True or False Fast/4
SA VR Domain - True or False/ Fast/4
Tried different options, no effect. What exactly we should to do?

Shamino wrote:
enable it and

Thank you for coming back to us Shamino. I tried the 0707 BIOS and there is still Coil Whine. I have not yet tried the 0801 version but from what someone else has already said it seems that this does not fix this issue either (Board is Hero XIII).

I personally want to start using this computer properly for work as well as gaming but feel in a bit of a rut to be honest with the coil whine issue, I am not happy with the noise it seems excessive for a £450+ board.

I was looking forward to the experience of building a new PC and this really has taken the edge off.

Will it be possible for BIOS changes to fix the coil whine or is this something that is inherently going to be part of this/these board/s? (I am on still on the fence slightly as to whether I send the board back/RMA).

Thanks

Also using XIII Hero here, PSU is Corsair RM850x, GPU is Asus Strix RTX 2080 Super, 2 WD SATA HDD , 1 Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD on M.2_3 slot, I have no coil whine on first day of completing build and running, both 8pin CPU is plugged on the motherboard, BIOS was 0232, updated to 0605, no coil whine either, I am very picky, sensitive and high standard to noises, so my environment is always quiet as it needed to be, right now most obvious noises that I can hear from the case is my NZXT Z73 AIO Cooler pump and that is also quiet enough (I had to get my head closer to the case to be able to hear it). So could anyone with this motherboard and coil whine issue record it, upload to Youtube and let me hear it so I can know what kind of coil whine noise is it and double triple check if my motherboard have this kind of noise for you guys.