cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix to coilwhine on Maximus Hero XIII

Dave2150
Level 7
EDITED - now completed fixed. Update BIOS to latest, go to Advanced in UEFI, find acoustic management options, and try the following settings:

Enjoy!
110 REPLIES 110

Ataemonus wrote:
It's quite simple, the board always had coil whine you just did not notice until now.

I don't know, the noise is very obvious and I would surely have noticed this earlier. Are you suggesting all XIII Hero have this whine?

Ataemonus
Level 11
No, ALL the Z590 boards I tried had this coil whine, not just the Hero or the ROG line, but ALL, even other brands, even TUF boards, and they do not share the PWM controller or VRM design, some are completely different to others and yet all have coil whine. I tested like 6 board models, and for the Hero I even tried 3 different boards.
Luckly, for me, the coil whine is only triggered in one situation, when playing video files with my preferred player (player makes no difference, I tried others as well, same result).

Zeroed85
Level 8
Can Asus please explain this coil whine? Convinced I've never heard coil whine on my board in the three months I've owned it I decided to buy another XIII Hero board. I've just finished installing it and on the stock BIOS out of the box (0232 I believe) no coil whine whatsoever. However I just flashed the current 0902 BIOS and the coil whine is back...

So is it the BIOS's causing this coil whine or is the coil whine inherent to the hardware when it is manufactured? Having just brought another brand new XIII Hero I would like some piece of mind knowing I don't have faulty hardware...

It is rather very disappointing that the Asus ROG Maximus XIII Hero has not just 1 but 2 problems

1) Coil whine issue
2) High PCH Temperature issue

Hope these 2 can be fixed with a bios update.

MCube74 wrote:
It is rather very disappointing that the Asus ROG Maximus XIII Hero has not just 1 but 2 problems

1) Coil whine issue
2) High PCH Temperature issue

Hope these 2 can be fixed with a bios update.

Which BIOS are you using? I think they reduced the PCH temp in the newer BIOS's. I can now have Thunderbolt enabled with the PCH at 60C idle. I think it can still reach 70C under load but that is better than 80C+

I ran the XIII Hero for close to 4 months and don't recall hearing any coil whine. Now whenever I log into Windows I get a loud buzzing noise. Whenever I run Cinebench R23 I get a loud grinding buzz as the test starts. I suspect the whine came along with the new BIOS's and was not present on the hardware to begin with...

Zeroed85 wrote:
Which BIOS are you using? I think they reduced the PCH temp in the newer BIOS's. I can now have Thunderbolt enabled with the PCH at 60C idle. I think it can still reach 70C under load but that is better than 80C+

I ran the XIII Hero for close to 4 months and don't recall hearing any coil whine. Now whenever I log into Windows I get a loud buzzing noise. Whenever I run Cinebench R23 I get a loud grinding buzz as the test starts. I suspect the whine came along with the new BIOS's and was not present on the hardware to begin with...

Using the latest 0902 bios

I am getting about 80 degrees C temp readings in the bios. Using HWinfo app I sometimes see about 70 degrees C to 75 degrees C readings for the chipset

MCube74 wrote:
Using the latest 0902 bios

I am getting about 80 degrees C temp readings in the bios. Using HWinfo app I sometimes see about 70 degrees C to 75 degrees C readings for the chipset

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?123007-Z590-Asus-ROG-Maximus-XIII-Hero-PCH-High-Temperatur...

Rocket Scientist wrote:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?123007-Z590-Asus-ROG-Maximus-XIII-Hero-PCH-High-Temperatur...

Thanks for this great tip. Instead of 81-82 degress its now stable at 50-55 degrees.

Rocket Scientist wrote:

Thanks alot !

I was on 75 idle and 88 ish load.
Now im at 58-60 idle. 66 load only from 85-88 ish wauv!

Im no rocket scientist..what was that we actualy changed ?
Does it have impact on something negative in the other ends..cuz this board seems to be a double edged blade.
You change something for a good reason but ends up with cutting ur self.

Psycrow
Level 11
I just bought a Hero XIII and guess what i got !!!! COIL WHINE !!!
Everytime i move my mouse around then i have coil noise coming from the cpu area.

Im using the newest bios and updates but its still there...

Is asus fixing this ?
We should all get new motherboards from asus for compensate..

So we disable C state for a fix ?
Or set a fixed cpu volt ? on how much ?

Or can someone tell me how i get rid of it in bios ?