cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty X670e Hero Motherboard?

Soupladel
Level 10
I watched Jayztwocents latest video re his personal rig which is a Crosshair Hero/7950x3d build and he was having a lot of problems with ram, not too dissimilar to my own issue where as if i try any BIOS other than 0805 (with my OG 7950x), the system crashes to a BSOD on windows load if i try to enabled EXPO or DOCP as i have tried two different RAM kits.

In his case he went out and bought a second Crosshair Hero board and discovered that he wasn't having the same problems on the new board, even on the stock BIOS of 0611 I think it was (with a 7950x3d in it no less) so the conclusion is that the original motherboard is faulty, which is reinforcing my fear that my motherboard is perhaps faulty as well.

Additionally, and i know i will end up getting directed to an article explaining about the C-State limiter performance and boosting past 5.5Ghz, but my system will not ever boost past 5.5GHz regardless of how many cores are in use, i have tested this out running a single core run of CB23 and can confirm with either HWinfo or Ryzen Master that no more than two cores are ever in use during this process. By the rules of the C-State limiter, i should expect to see potential boosting past 5.5GHz and it just doesn't happen.

Very occasionally, HWinfo will report core 0 max speed as 5.75GHz but only for a split second and never in any meaningful way, this is also the exception rather than the rule because it doesn't always happen.

The next thing i expect to be told is that boosting performance depends on cooling and the chip, but i am running a 420mm AIO drawing cool air from the front to maximise cooling, I am using a high quality thermal paste and also have the "proper" bracket for the block which utilises 4 posts rather than the bendy clips to ensure the best fit possible. On earlier revisisons of the Motherboard before C-State limiter was introduced, the chip was quite happy to boost on almost all of the cores on CCD0 to 5.75GHz but i cannot use that BIOS because of the aforementioned memory issues and the fact i now have a 4090 GPU, which i didn't have when i first built the system.

Apologies for the rant, but i am really frustrated that i am getting nowhere fast and am looking for advice on whether i should look to RMA the motherboard?
5 REPLIES 5

Soupladel
Level 10
Soupladel wrote:
I watched Jayztwocents latest video re his personal rig which is a Crosshair Hero/7950x3d build and he was having a lot of problems with ram, not too dissimilar to my own issue where as if i try any BIOS other than 0805 (with my OG 7950x), the system crashes to a BSOD on windows load if i try to enabled EXPO or DOCP as i have tried two different RAM kits.

In his case he went out and bought a second Crosshair Hero board and discovered that he wasn't having the same problems on the new board, even on the stock BIOS of 0611 I think it was (with a 7950x3d in it no less) so the conclusion is that the original motherboard is faulty, which is reinforcing my fear that my motherboard is perhaps faulty as well.

Additionally, and i know i will end up getting directed to an article explaining about the C-State limiter performance and boosting past 5.5Ghz, but my system will not ever boost past 5.5GHz regardless of how many cores are in use, i have tested this out running a single core run of CB23 and can confirm with either HWinfo or Ryzen Master that no more than two cores are ever in use during this process. By the rules of the C-State limiter, i should expect to see potential boosting past 5.5GHz and it just doesn't happen.

Very occasionally, HWinfo will report core 0 max speed as 5.75GHz but only for a split second and never in any meaningful way, this is also the exception rather than the rule because it doesn't always happen.

The next thing i expect to be told is that boosting performance depends on cooling and the chip, but i am running a 420mm AIO drawing cool air from the front to maximise cooling, I am using a high quality thermal paste and also have the "proper" bracket for the block which utilises 4 posts rather than the bendy clips to ensure the best fit possible. On earlier revisisons of the Motherboard before C-State limiter was introduced, the chip was quite happy to boost on almost all of the cores on CCD0 to 5.75GHz but i cannot use that BIOS because of the aforementioned memory issues and the fact i now have a 4090 GPU, which i didn't have when i first built the system.

Apologies for the rant, but i am really frustrated that i am getting nowhere fast and am looking for advice on whether i should look to RMA the motherboard?

The support from ASUS on this issue has been truly overwhelming, I am so glad I invested so much of my hard earned cash into buying their products to received such superior support when something goes wrong…

Sentinel
Level 7

Yeah I saw the video from Jayztwocents and noticed that I had the same motherboard in the build I was making and got worried about the situation. And yes I was right to get worried. I started having issues with mine and I tried to go back and see what Jay had with his motherboard and had a hard time finding those videos. So I started looking around to see if I can find anything that might be the issue of my build since it is very close to what Jay had. I knew it had to be the CPU, RAM or MB because those and the new parts that I had no idea about. My PC keeps rebooting without a BSOD every 3-4 minutes so I updated the BIOS which was a few days old and still not going away. I replaced the RAM thinking since the MB was getting hung up there every once in awhile and still that didn't fix it, leaving two more possible components to test out. The CPU and the MB. I have noticed that the PC was very slow not even sure what that means, guessing would be the CPU? But not sure. My PC is a custom liquid cool with hard tubing I didn't want to try to drain the fluid and see if the CPU was seated right. I have tried all kinds of options on the BIOS like the UCLK, POB, and normally booting with everything to default, and I still get it. I have tried to call the phone number to ASUS by googling the number (Don't use that number, it leads to someone in India and the quality of the call was crap with the guy on the other end saying, "Hello!" after every sentence. Making me feel that the support team should have better quality calls than that. And I have been scammed before which for me doesn't sit well with me. Sorry for those who are honest in India, no hard feelings) Then I tried to use a chat on my phone to ASUS support and they asked me all the things that I have tried and I just asked for BIOS setting that could help me and I got disconnected from them when I tried to take a picture of something for them. I am going to try to reseat my CPU after I drain my cooling system and let you know what happens. With how slow everything was and how my luck is going I am sure it is the Crosshair Motherboard I have. Update me if someone has anything that we can try out.

SSONG56
Level 7

I'm simply returning my Hero board and switching to the Taichi Board. I've never has such instability before purchasing the most expensive board of my life. 

Sentinel
Level 7

I forgot to mention that I got my PC to work. I have found that the C-state is in two different locations within the bios and that was causing my issue. What the C-state does is helps save power and takes the power away from the cores that the motherboard feels like it is not needed in that location. Well it doesn't work right. Try to find the two locations with in the bios that has the C-state. They are in two different names but they both start off with "C-".

Oh if anyone needs any help, you can ask and I can try to experiment a bit. I am A+ Certified and some times there are these out of the blue fixes that we even have not seen before and I normally like to ask first and if no one knows I experiment to see if I can find the problem. I am just someone that doesn't like to give up too much.