cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FA507RR Random WHEA errors when closing some games or during gameplay.

Ragnaraz690
Level 11
OK, so I run HWinfo all the time in the background just to keep tabs on everything as I am not a fan of surprises. lately I have noticed when I check up on things at the end of a session I can get between 1 and 8 WHEA Errors, event log sees them as and event 17 warning. Should I be concerned?

The machine is an A15 FA507RR, 6800H, RTX3070, running 32gb of Gskill 4800mhz CL34 (running at those speeds and timings), OS drive is a fully updated SN850X in the PCIe 4 slot and a 1tb 970 EVO Plus in the gen 3 slot.

I have no system instabilities, no crashes, no hangs, no graphics artifacts, just those random errors. I do have boost disabled via the registry to get the option in advanced power settings. Temps are always nice and low, I use manual mode with the CPU set to it's lowest options and the GPU runs stock with no OC, both have a more aggressive fan curve and it sits on a IETS GT500 to help keep it chilly.

Followed this:
Method 1:

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it resolves the issue.

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del, select Task Manager.

2. From the File menu, select Run new task.

3. Put a check mark next to Create this task with administrative privileges and tap or click OK.

4. Type cmd and hit Enter.

5. Type the following commands in same order in the Command prompt window:

a. Type sfc /scannow and press Enter.

(This command scans and verifies the integrity of all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct versions).

b. Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth and press Enter.

c. Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth and press Enter.

d. Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press Enter.

(These commands fix any files that System File Checker can't repair and Windows corruption errors).

e. Close the command window.

f. Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the system.

And still got a WHEA when I closed the RE4 remake demo. Again, event 17.

Do I actually need to worry about this or not and are there any other measures I should take to see if I can stop them?

EDIT: I use the Gaming Mode 2.0 AUTO on the SN850X, could that cause the error if it's changing modes?
14 REPLIES 14

Ragnaraz690
Level 11
A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x1:0x1
Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_14B8&SUBSYS_1D921043&REV_00
Secondary Device Name:

Is all I get in the event logger. Only when playing games. Today I was playing Resident Evil 3 Remake.

Honestly, I have no idea what to think as most people tend to get worse symptoms when this stuff happens. I just get it as a warning in the event log and WHEA PCIe errors in HWinfo.

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Ragnaraz690,

WHEA is a system detection log from Microsoft. May I confirm with you if you have added or replaced the memory and hard disk?
We suggest that you revert the hardware devices to their original factory state and observe if the situation is resolved. Thank you:).

Anbby_ASUS wrote:
Hi Ragnaraz690,

WHEA is a system detection log from Microsoft. May I confirm with you if you have added or replaced the memory and hard disk?
We suggest that you revert the hardware devices to their original factory state and observe if the situation is resolved. Thank you:).

I did mention what I have changed, being the RAM kit and both SSDs. Apparently it is only a warning not a full error according to Windows support. They said I shouldn't be too worried about it but maybe get your guys to check it out. I do not have the original SSD as for the longest time I was using the 970 Evo plus as the OS drive, it was cloned to the SN850X. I do have the original RAM stick though.

The errors only occur during gaming, that said I do not have any benchmarks to test it otherwise. I have games on both the SN850X and the 970 and it can happen on either drive. I can only really change the RAM back and then see what happens.

That said, I haven't checked for errors before, but I did have some issues after my last RMA, as your chosen RMA service centre are a bunch of cowboys by all accounts and also damaged my PSU, and messed about with my original drives before the SN850X.

Ragnaraz690
Level 11
UPDATE:

It was a GPU driver issue, the previously released driver was apparently part of the problem. I used DDU and completely removed all drivers and evidence of them, did a 100% clean install and so far I have had no WHEA issues. Likely a dodgy driver and too many remnants left over. I normally do a clean install via the driver installer, but apparently that was not enough. Anyhow the newest driver appears to work as intended.

SO if anyone is having a similar issue, give DDU a try and do a proper clean driver install. Might be just the ticket.

Ragnaraz690
Level 11
Scrap that, Test again this morning and WHEA warnings on the PCIe are back. How annoying.
I will test the old RAM kit and see what happens.

Ragnaraz690
Level 11
I'm not going to get around to swapping the RAM today, had to work on a friends laptop and now have no enthuse for stripping and checking mine.

I have however seen that some people have had these kinds of issues because of BIOS updates. I mean that could be the case here, but without going to a previous version of the BIOS I cannot check this.

Strange this is there are a few errors in general some at kernel level I think, nothing to cause a crash or serious issues just something event viewer points out. Honestly, if not for Hwinfo I wouldn't be aware of these errors.

Alvez_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Ragnaraz
We will focus more on whether there are any problems. If you are particularly prone to problems when playing games, then whether there are frame drops, freezes, etc. when playing games.

In addition, please help me to confirm this model, there will be two M.2 slots, if you move to another slot, will WHEA 17 appear frequently?

Kind reminder, if it is a Samsung SSD purchased separately, please confirm whether it is within the scope of the known 0e issue released by Samsung.

Ragnaraz690
Level 11
That's the strange thing, there are no frame drops or issues that you can actually see. if I'm not gaming there's no Event 17 warnings, there are a few random errors too but nothing that actually causes system instability.

There are indeed to M.2 slots, the Gen 3 slot has the 970 EVO plus in it and the Gen 4 slot has the WD SN850X. The Samsung issue was on the drive failure on the 980 and possibly the 990, unsure about the 990 issue. I will get magician again just to check, I have games on both the SN850X and 970 EVO Plus. I tend to get WHEA on Forza Horizon 5, yet I don't believe I have had a WHEA when playing Dying Light 2 and they're both on that drive. I tend to get the odd one or 2 on Resident Evil 3 remake which is on the 970, yet I don't think I got any while playing Tales of Vesperia. So it does appear to be hit and miss.

I had used the 970 in my FA506QR with no issues for a year too. It was formatted and used as a general drive. With the SN850X, I cloned the 970. I ended up having to RMA the laptop first for a screen, second for a constant battery drain after it was returned from the RMA service centre. They messed around with the drives at that point, I had the original drive as OS and used the 970 as a game drive, the service centre took it upon themselves to clone the OS drive on the 970 and swap them. That annoyed me because I had the SN850X in mind for the OS drive. I believe I ended up doing a clean OS install again at some point because of issues they caused. That said, I haven't really been watching for errors since they factory reset my machine so many times I was just glad to have it back and working. It did crash when I got it back the second time and had to do an OS recovery or something. Annoyingly I only got rid of those pictures just before this started again.

I still haven't swapped the RAM back, In all honestly I don't think it is the RAM. My Fury Impacts failed in my FA506QR and I would get hangs, crashes and blue screens. It even corrupted the OS and I had to RMA those and do a clean OS install again. I have none of these issues currently.

Ragnaraz690
Level 11
For clarity, I have done a SMART short test on both drives, both came back healthy. Both have up to date drivers too.
I have run the MyASUS diagnostics and it's come back clear too.

With the nature of games on both drives doing it intermittently with some games, I really don't see the need to swap the drives over. Only option is to Swap the RAM back to the original stick, but again, with a lack of other issues normally associated with RAM problems and diagnostics coming back clear, is it worth swapping in the OG RAM?

I forgot to mention yesterday I had a random Event 41. Went to boot RE3R and the machine just restarted. happened in the blink of an eye, not blue screen, no hang, as the game when to go full screen it goes black for a second usually. It did that but then was doing the ASUS boot screen. Didn't so anything else or warn me of anything. Kernel- power?

In actually errors there are:
Microsoft-Windows-ModernDeployment-Diagnostics-Provider/ManagementService
Service Control Manager

That's all there has been today.