cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) post issues

ShokWaveD
Level 7
Finally have time to post my issue.

On 10th Nov 2021 I was given the Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) as a present along with a 5800X. Since then I've been having issues with starting my PC every single day.
What I mean by that is, If I shut down my PC now, I won't be able to power it ON by pressing the power button on my case. The only way for it to start is If I shut off my PSU, wait for 10 seconds so all the lights go off, switch the PSU on and then press the case power button and it will start.

Another odd thing that happens is that for some reason it isn't sending enough power to my USBs. It only does it for a second. I know, because when I power my PC on, I can see my keyboard flash for a moment and no inputs get registered. So my only way of accessing the BIOS I kid you not, is to unplug my keyboard, switch on my PC, get to the point where it wants me to press F2/DEL/F12 and plug my keyboard at that exact moment and mash those 3 buttons while I have that moment of power to my keyboard. You can picture in your head what sort of a position I am in when I am doing that.

Next is restarting. This PC can take ages to POST. Every time I restart, It would get to a point where it should post (mobo error code is 94) and after 50 seconds or so it will "restart" and try posting again until after x-number of tries it manages to post and load. Sometimes by some miracle it restarts like a normal PC no problem. Others it will take like 15 minutes to post.

What I have tried:
You name it. I have disassembled the whole thing twice - once outside the case, once inside (wanted to check and see if something is short circuiting);
I read a similar case to mine and someone had changed the ErP settings from Disabled to either [Enable (S4+S5) or [Enable(S5)] and solved it. I tried that but it didn't change a thing.
Tried with a single stick of RAM, tried without a GPU, re-installed Windows, tried with Ubuntu, removed all of my storage and tried with disk drives, SSDs and NVMEs.
Used the power/restart buttons on the MOBO itself. Looked up the Q-codes online but nothing similar to my issue. Below you can find both my current specs and the spces i had before when things were working fine.

Full specs:
Running latest BIOS from the website version 4006

  • Motherboard: ROG Crosshair Hero VIII (Wi-Fi)
  • CPU: Ryzen 5800X
  • GPU: Nvidia 3060Ti FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz 2x8gb
  • Cooling: Corsair H150 360mm
  • PSU: ASUS ROG Strix 850W White Edition PSU, 80PLUS Gold



Specs with no issues:
Replace the motherboard with
ASUS z-370 PRIME-A
And the CPU with:
Intel 8600K
1,878 Views
15 REPLIES 15

cerealpiller
Level 7
I am having similar issues after bios update to latest bios 4006. It will only boot if power pressed, then reset button pressed. It will not post without this procedure!!!
Help

cerealpiller wrote:
I am having similar issues after bios update to latest bios 4006. It will only boot if power pressed, then reset button pressed. It will not post without this procedure!!!
Help


The issue I explained above happened with every BIOS version ive tried (the one it shipped with, 3806 and the latest 4006).

Mine was fine on bios 2502. Boot fine and restart fine. I guess i shouldn't have updated. Also I did not mention mine is non-wifi VIII.

D-Rocky
Level 7
ShokWaveD wrote:
Finally have time to post my issue.

On 10th Nov 2021 I was given the Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) as a present along with a 5800X. Since then I've been having issues with starting my PC every single day.
What I mean by that is, If I shut down my PC now, I won't be able to power it ON by pressing the power button on my case. The only way for it to start is If I shut off my PSU, wait for 10 seconds so all the lights go off, switch the PSU on and then press the case power button and it will start.

Another odd thing that happens is that for some reason it isn't sending enough power to my USBs. It only does it for a second. I know, because when I power my PC on, I can see my keyboard flash for a moment and no inputs get registered. So my only way of accessing the BIOS I kid you not, is to unplug my keyboard, switch on my PC, get to the point where it wants me to press F2/DEL/F12 and plug my keyboard at that exact moment and mash those 3 buttons while I have that moment of power to my keyboard. You can picture in your head what sort of a position I am in when I am doing that.

Next is restarting. This PC can take ages to POST. Every time I restart, It would get to a point where it should post (mobo error code is 94) and after 50 seconds or so it will "restart" and try posting again until after x-number of tries it manages to post and load. Sometimes by some miracle it restarts like a normal PC no problem. Others it will take like 15 minutes to post.

What I have tried:
You name it. I have disassembled the whole thing twice - once outside the case, once inside (wanted to check and see if something is short circuiting);
I read a similar case to mine and someone had changed the ErP settings from Disabled to either [Enable (S4+S5) or [Enable(S5)] and solved it. I tried that but it didn't change a thing.
Tried with a single stick of RAM, tried without a GPU, re-installed Windows, tried with Ubuntu, removed all of my storage and tried with disk drives, SSDs and NVMEs.
Used the power/restart buttons on the MOBO itself. Looked up the Q-codes online but nothing similar to my issue. Below you can find both my current specs and the spces i had before when things were working fine.

Full specs:
Running latest BIOS from the website version 4006

  • Motherboard: ROG Crosshair Hero VIII (Wi-Fi)
  • CPU: Ryzen 5800X
  • GPU: Nvidia 3060Ti FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz 2x8gb
  • Cooling: Corsair H150 360mm
  • PSU: ASUS ROG Strix 850W White Edition PSU, 80PLUS Gold



Specs with no issues:
Replace the motherboard with
ASUS z-370 PRIME-A
And the CPU with:
Intel 8600K


https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?125064-Asus-dark-hero-startup-issue This massive thread is thousands of people having the same startup issue as you.

D-Rocky wrote:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?125064-Asus-dark-hero-startup-issue This massive thread is thousands of people having the same startup issue as you.


From what I can tell, there is no fix and I need to request a replacement which has the chance of having the exact same issue.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi cerealpiller,
Do you mean cannot turn on the pc after shutdown and have to switch the PSU off and on? Do you also have other issues?
Is your model name ROG Crosshair VIII Hero?
Please revert the bios back to 2502 with USB bios flashback and see if the issue still occurs.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi cerealpiller,
Do you mean cannot turn on the pc after shutdown and have to switch the PSU off and on? Do you also have other issues?
Is your model name ROG Crosshair VIII Hero?
Please revert the bios back to 2502 with USB bios flashback and see if the issue still occurs.
Thank you.


The EzFlash utility in bios would not let me revert back. It acts like the file is invalid (the 2502 bios) but it is good.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi cerealpiller,
Please refer to the following link for USB BIOS FlashBack.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038568/
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi cerealpiller,
Please refer to the following link for USB BIOS FlashBack.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038568/
Thank you.

Thanks,
I will try to go back to last version via flashback port.