cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair hero viii wifi startup issue

gabriel_rodrigu
Level 8
So, it seems that after a shutdown or sleep my mb can't startup. I have to turn off the PSU until all mb leds are off and then turn it back on to get a post.
When this issue happens, the start button led doesn't turn off after shutdown, even in stealth mode.
Tried many BIOSes, right now I'm on 4201
After some search, it seems to be related to the issue on this thread

My specs
CROSSHAIR HERO VIII WIFI (the non dark model)
Ryzen 9 5900X
G.Skill F4-3200C14D-32GTZR
RTX 3090 TUF
Corsair RM1000i
21 REPLIES 21

MadGoat
Level 8

Same Issue happening to my board as well...

Its unbelievable that this is still happening for years! 

Is the issue still happening with you?

Yes, this issue is still happening. I have been avoiding sleep by just shutting down the computer when I leave it for long periods, instead of allowing it to sleep. However, now it sometimes does not boot from a shut down either. I have to pull power to the PSU and reconnect it to get the computer to boot. I have a be quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1200W power supply. I never had a problem on my rog strix x470-f gaming board. Only after I "upgraded" to this rog crosshair viii hero x570 board. Now I'm plagued by these power issues. I've Tried everything I could find, I guess I'm giving up until the board doesn't work at all. I'm almost certain it is a BIOS issue that Asus can investigate and fix (or they already know about). But Asus seems to not care and won't do anything for those of us that are left in the cold with this issue. 

I'll say this, as an avid Asus owner... two routers, a laptop and three computers with their motherboards in them. This being my most recent purchase from them, it has soured my trust in them. 

It's truly frustrating. My case has a negative air pressure by nature "Asus Prime AP201" and sleep mode is a must otherwise I'd have to clean it every 2 weeks since I keep my PC on almost 18 hours a day. I'm pretty sure it's something with the board itself since I pretty much found a couple similar posts to mine and a dozen replies to those posts saying "I have the same issue". 

I can easily return the board to the store if the defect is proven by Asus to be a motherboard issue, but they will never admit to that, they'd rather drag this to the mud until the customer just gives up, specially if it's an inconvenience rather than a whole system failure kinda defect. 

Btw, what peripherals do you use? I found out that if I disconnect my Audio Interface, I can boot the system up without needed to clear CMOS and disconnect the power cord. It still needs a couple of long presses on the power button sometimes, but at least I can get it to post.

Mrgold
Level 7

My x670e Extreme that is a month old just started doing this a few days ago… I am beside myself after reading through a ton of others having this problem. such a let down.

ATrueNewbie
Level 9

Hello,

Strix z790i here, same problem! Mobo does not start after a bios change, shutdown, sleep or a system restart that turns the motherboard off.I had to clear CMOS every-time I wanted it to at least have it post. I tried latest bios, downloaded all the needed firmware/software from the support page. Still same issue!

What is even more weird is that I have an audio interface "GoXLR mini" when I disconnected the device I was able turn on the system the motherboard with a 1.5-2 second press on the On/Off button instead of it just flat on not posting. On my older systems, a simple tap on the On/Off would suffice. I discovered this because I took the PC back to the shop that I got the parts from, I did not feel like troubleshooting a $5K system on my own since the clicking sound that comes out whenever I tried to boot the system was a bit alarming. Anyhow, when I arrived at the shop, the PC was already failing to boot back home but before I cleared CMOS I wanted the guy to see what I mean, unfortunately the PC posted normally lol. I was able to enable XMP, do various things in bios, shutdown the PC and turn it on back again with only 2-3 failed attempts out of probably 15. 

When I came back home, literally plugged it in, plugged my peripherals and it went back to just clicking without booting, that's when I disconnected the Audio Interface and I was able to boot it with a 2sec press. It still makes that weird clicking sound though but at least now I know how to work around it and how to explain it further to the guy later on. 

Mind you the motherboard still does not boot after sleep, but at least I can force boot it by pressing the on button for 2 seconds afterwards without the need to clear CMOS. 

P.S the shop just connected a Display Port, Power Cable, Microsoft generic non RGB mouse and keyboard. 

Peripherals:

Asus Rog Strix z790i - Asus Rog Strix 4090 OC - 13700K - Tridentz G.Skill 7200cl34 - EK Nucleus 240 AIO - Thermaltake TT SFX 1000W Atx 3.0 - Asus Prime AP201 MiniITX case - GoXLR Mini AI - Xlite mini 2 Pulsar mouse - Steelseries Pro TKL - LG 27' 180hz IPS monitor "connected via DP". 

MadGoat
Level 8

I might have found something. In thinking about how sleep works, I remembered our standby voltage. I went into the bios and in the "tweakers paradise" section I bumped the 1.8 standby and 1.2 sb voltages by .075v. As well as bumping my soc voltage a bit (I believe I had a bit of instability due to running four sticks of 16gb dual rank memory at fairly tight timings, as well as pushing *1800mhz fsb / ht and 3900mhz memory). So far I've been able to use sleep and wake normally. Not having a problem cold booting either. Suggestion to all of you that are having similar problems, try bumping your standby voltage a bit, I've read that the 1.8v standby voltage should be safe below 2.0v. Best of luck to us all! 👍🏻

Great news! However, Intel's standby voltage is 1.05v by default. Hwinfo64 does not show me the current standby voltage nor does the motherboard in its tweaker's page. I've tried bumping it to 1.3v and 1.5v respectively and the motherboard still couldn't boot with a single power button tap, and after booting with a long press on the power button, only RGB lit up and a couple of fans with the system as a whole not booting. 

I then set both boot and normal standby voltages to 1.1v "0.05v above standard" and it went back to booting as before "with long press on the PB + disconnected peripheral". As it seems, bumping this voltage up does not help and in the spirit of trying, I forced the CPU to boot into Max-battery more, which is only 800mhz freq to see if they lowered needed voltage was naturally reduced might affect the booting issue yet sadly it did not make any difference. 

If at least for posterity, my rig is back to its old antics. The voltage changes had no effect. It was probably the Bios reset to defaults that I did that gave it a little bit of time that it acted correctly. Oh man, I sure wish asus would fix this!