cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair Extreme x670e - Can you use Thunderbolt devices on the USB 4 ports?

decimus28
Level 10
My main question is if you can use Thunderbolt 3 external HDD enclosures over the USB 4.0 Ports. Although I wonder about other Thunderbolt devices

The usb 4 ports use the Intel Mapleridge(JHL8540) Thunderbolt 4 controller and the ports are the 40 speed USB4 option. Also Thunderbolt drivers are installed on setup. The only thing I could see that would make it not fully TB4 compliant is if it provides the lower 7.5 watt vs TB4 minimum of 15watt or due to dual monitor support.
10 REPLIES 10

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi decimus28,
Do you mean external HDD enclosures are not detected when it connecting to USB4 port?
Do you enable Thunderbolt / USB4 Support in bios?
Thank you.

decimus28
Level 10
Hello, I haven't bought the enclouser yet but wanted to check on the thunderbolt capability of this board. I know the USB 4.0 specs doesn't require thunderbolt 3 functionality but it seems it should be included by the driver and bios thunderbolt/USB4.0 option.
However none of the MB marketing or specs specifically mention thunderbolt 3 or 4 capability.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi decimus28,
I'll consult our tech team more about the specification.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi decimus28,
I'll consult our tech team more about the specification.
Thank you.
Â*

Has there been any official answer from the tech team STARRAIN@ROG about using USB4 ports for thunderbolt support?

Â*I am about to receive the X670E extreme motherboard, for my new AM5 build, and same as the OP was wondering if this board supports thunderbolt 4 from the provided 2x USB4 ports, that is for both data transfers (up to 22gbps) and/or TB devices. I rely on thunderbolt devices for HDR content creation and working with quite large files in ProRes format. In other words, would really like to know if the Intel Maple Ridge JHL8540 is truly connected to the system via a PCIe 3 x4 lanes.

Thank you

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi rjellul,
Sorry I haven't got reply from the concerned team and will follow up the case.
I will keep updated if there is any news.
Thank you.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi decimus28 and rjellul,
Sorry for late reply.
Our tech team have tested the motherboard is working with Thunderbolt 3 external HDD enclosure.
Thank you.

Hi STARRAIN@ROG,

That is great news. Thanks for the fast turnaround.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi decimus28 and rjellul,
Sorry for late reply.
Our tech team have tested the motherboard is working with Thunderbolt 3 external HDD enclosure.
Thank you.

Fantastic news! Thank you very much for checking this out.

I would be surprised if it did not support Thunderbolt 4. According to the motherboard tech specs, the two USB4 ports are backed by an Intel JHL8540 Thunderbolt 4 Controller.